Thread: A Very Painful Experience!

Feedback Score

A Very Painful Experience!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I would like to share my very painful experience with you all here. I changed my tank water almost every once a week and I lost two tanks of fishes this Monday after changing the water. It must be due to the changes made by the Water Conservation Department. As the area I am residing was not affected, I took no heal to the early post by MCSim that the water will have higher concentration of chloramines. I hope you people will never have to go through this; it is so painful to see them dying one by one.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A Very Painful Experience!

Lily, sorry to hear about the loss of the fishes but how much (?%) of the water did you change? I'd be worried too, since I change 70% weekly as well, even though my water comes from a 4 feet (68 US Gal) holding tank.

I understand that chloramine takes longer to dissipate than chlorine, sometimes over 2 days in an aerated tank. Guess we can anticipate the increase in sales of anti-chloramine.

BTW, who were the casualties?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily,

We share your pain. Losing all the fish can be very heart breaking. But fortunately, there are many of us who have the eggs so if you want to try again, just ask for help here.

By the way, guys, Lily lives in Woodlands which isn't one of the areas that is supposed to have the extra-chloramined water. I guess we all better be a bit more careful when we change water now. Lily's experience isn't the first one I've heard. A couple of months ago, a Discus breeder somewhere in the Race Course Road area told me of a similar experience too.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I can feel for you, Lily, a similar experience happen to me.
    My father-in-law was doing some repairs in the pumphouse(which pumps water to all buildings here on the farm)using pipe cleaner and glue. He didn't think to say something to me about it. I,too, lost a lot of fish that time. I was able to save some of the adult fish that time but no fry. Papa felt so very sorry about it that now he always calls before hand if there is any work to be done in the pumphouse.
    Have a good day, dear fish friend, If you need help.. just howler!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score

Re: A Very Painful Experience!

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing my 'grief'. Guess I learned it the hard and painful way, if only I am more careful.....
    I changed about 80% or more of water for both my 3 and 2 ft tank and for the past few months, the fishes took well to the changes but not now.
    The casualties include Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98, Nothobranchius guentheri, Nothobranchius Rubripinnis, Aplocheilus lineatus and the pair recently bought from the gathering.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Is it wise to change 80% of water at a time? I thought 50% is the further you can go for cloudly water.

I'm also staying in Woodlands. Was there a warning by PUB? I didn't know.

Feedback Score
    I will be extra careful this time round. I change 90% of my water weekly, so far no casualty, but I will take note.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think I'll have to change 1 tank first and see how is goes before changing the rest of the tanks.

Lily,

Come to my place and collect some Notho. rubripinnis fry from me when you're free. I still have some to spare.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily,

Very sad to hear about your losses

I can understand how you are feeling, I was a victim myself.

I did my regular weekly 20% change of water to my 6 footer and lost 90% of the fishes, which include 10 Altums, 15 Bleeding Hearts, 10 Congos & 8 Emperor tetras.
    Surprisingly, only the Rasbora harlequins survived.

EngChuan

Feedback Score
    Lily, I understand how sad it is to see the fishes dying one by one.

I had these experiences with rearing cardinal tetras. They are very sensitive to water changes.

I've learnt to change only one-third of the water in the fish tank at one time. Any further volume changes will result in risk of the fishs not being able to take the water changes.

I also try not to change water in the evening as the fishes do take a few hours to adjust to the water change. I usually change water in the late morning or early afternoon. So far so good.

Thanks for the warning of water changes by PUB. Better take it that all locations are affected (to be on the safe side) and have water set aside for changes at least 2 days ahead.

Felix

Feedback Score

opps

Hi Lily, its sad to hear that you have lost a number of fishes. I stay at woodlands too. Which part of woodlands are you staying? Perhaps I can pass to you some fries and young adults.

From what I know, HDB is conducting some water storage tank (above the block) maintenance in woodlands. Also, if you drive pass marsiling MRT station and Gambus ave, construction signs stated that PUB is laying NewWater pipes.

Based on my limited knowledge, chlorine is easy to break down. Just provide strong aeration for about 24 hours and chlorine level would be safe. As for chlaromine, its a combination of chlorine and ammonia. These are very stable thus very hard to break down even after 48 hours of aeration. When broken down, the chlorine portion is "neutralise" but releasing ammonia back into the water.

I only know of 2 methods to make tap water safe for fish:
    1) Dose chemical to remove
    2) Use water filter ($$$$) with 2 components. Activated carbon to remove chlorine and Zeolite to remove ammonia. However, activated carbon (AC) is effective when water passing thru has "maximum" contact with it and it'll rise the pH. Moreover, users will have to change the media after sometime (AC will leak the chemicals back when "full") while Zeolite is "rechargable".

PS: I hope I have not mislead anyone from the earlier posting. If I do, please accept my apology. Also pardon my poor english.

Feedback Score

more info

For more info.. http://www.aquarealms.com/viewtopic.php?t=13453

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,

Lily lives on the 3rd and 4th storey of a HDB block which would mean her water supply does not come from a supply tank on the roof of the block but from the pipes running up from the ground floor. It could be her water that day has a higher than usual chlorine content which would be enough to kill off all fish. We can't be sure it's due to chloramines.

In any case, it's not wise to change too much water at one go. I would say 30% once a week would be good enough.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    In any case, it's not wise to change too much water at one go. I would say 30% once a week would be good enough.
    Hi guys,

Take the words from our expert here, guys, please do not change too much of your water at one go, better to be safe then sorry. I really appreciate the kind offer from all corners but I still have some young adults and fry of the Nothobranchius rachovii, Nothobranchius guentheri and Nothobranchius Rubripinnis. I have them in the smaller tanks so they are quite safe. :wink:

Now the thought of changing water send chill down my spine after the massive death on Monday. I promised myself, it won’t happen again!

Once again, thank you all for being so kind to me, will go after you all if I do need any…

Quote Originally Posted by MCSim
    I hope I have not mislead anyone from the earlier posting. If I do, please accept my apology. Also pardon my poor english..
    You do not have to apologise MCSim, in fact, there is nothing wrong with your English and your message was clear with good intention. I am too careless and only got myself to be blamed.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I always store water in soft drink bottles(for days) for water change use. It's convenient to fill up the tank that way too. The only problem is that you need many such bottles. Those chlorine in the tap water, wondering, if it don't kill the fish, will it make your fish sterile in long run?

Gan.