Thread: killifish in winter season

Feedback Score

killifish in winter season

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,
    My name is akgarat. Now, Thailand is begining to winter season. I see my killifishes are not happy and not strong also. The water temperature is about 19-21c. Sometime I saw they don't eat food. How can I takecare them?
    akgarat

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    That is a very good water temperature for most killifishes. When the temperature becomes cooler, usually fishes will not be as active as they used to be. The metabolic rate slows done and thus the fish will consume lesser food. If you want to increase the water temperature, try to add a heater into your tank and raise the tank temperature to 26deg C.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Akgarat,

I seriously doubt the reason your fish aren't eating is due to the low temperature. 19 to 21 degrees C should be within the tolerable range unless the change in temperature was sudden. I wish we in Singapore can get your kind of temperature as that would be great for aquatic plants.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your response. The temperature was sudden change.
    I means Yesterday 25C. and maybe Today 20C. I saw killifish swim very slow. Now I put the heater in my tank as Ausl recommend. They are eat better than yesterday. Can I change 50% of water in tank?

Akgarat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Akgarat, nice meeting you during the gathering. Regarding as to whether you should change water, I would suggest that you do a smaller water change, perhaps 20% rather than 50%. A 50% water change might stress them out.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you intend to do the water change, try to put a heater into the water to have a similar temperature as your tank. This way, you'll reduce the killifish from going through a temperature shock! :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Thank you !! I glad to hear from everyone

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Akgarat,

Did the fish you bought when you were in Singapore survived the journey home?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hello Loh KL ,

They are alive here. Both plecos are very strong in my tank. How about your plecos? That's Ok? About the albino killifishs, I still try to breed them but I have problem with both males. They likes to swim around in my tank. They don't interest both females. I don't know what happen.

Be happy,
    akgarat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by akgarat
    They don't interest both females. I don't know what happen.
    Akgarat,

What you reported about your male killies seem to be quite a common occurrence with people who are new to killies. I think the difference between a seasoned hobbyist and one who's new is that the former understands that for fish to breed, you have to provide them with a healthy environment. In other words, you have to make the fish happy first before they will start showing interest in their opposite sexes. I suppose, in a way, the fish are like humans. If you are unhappy, chances are you think less of sex. Or maybe not. I know a few people who think of sex all the time whether they are happy or not

Jokes aside, if your fish are not breeding, try putting them into a different tank, preferably a bigger one. Put in some plants like Hornwort as aquatic plants, in one way or another, make the fish happier. Try feeding them with live food only. Live food is good for the fish's libido. Mosquitoe larvae are one of the best foods for fishes as they can't resist the wriggling movements of the larvae. Move the tank into a darker corner as too much light sometimes scare the fish.

There's never one fixed method to breed killies. You have to experiment with different methods. If one method does not work, try another. But be careful when you transfer the fish from one tank to another. Too much moving about is never good for fishes.

About the 2 Plecos I bought, I have not seen them since I released them into my heavily planted tank.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi Akgarat,

Glad to know you were here. There're a few Thai people who hang around this forum,
    as same as the well known people who had been keeping killi fishes in Thailand.

My killi's tanks water temperature not too low as yours. How lucky am I :wink:
    It's about 25-27, except the planted tank with 2 fans can cool down to 21 C in some very cold day.
    By the way I don't keep killi in my planted tanks.
    So I don't have any problem during this cold weather.
    They're all still enjoy eating mosquitoe larvae, but GOD!, the adult mosquitoes also enjoy eating, drinking?, my blood too

Loh, the RAC and GUN eggs you gave me last time I visited your house already hatched with 4 GUN frys and 3 RAC frys yesterday
    This maybe too late to wet them compared to the label you wrote on but it's Ok.
    I was wondering when I saw the frys was wriggling in the hatching tray because I can't see any egg in peat even with several times I look for.
    I'm still keeping the Simp magnificus eggs in the bowl but surely I will wet them soon even though i can't find the egg, perhaps I better buy new glasses.
    Thanks again for your kindly giving me the eggs.
    Keep trying!!

K. Sitthiprasert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    From my experience, it is not the low water temperature that upset the fish, it is the temperature fluctuation that does it. Use high quality heater to stabilized the temperature and your fish should be ok.