Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where you can find turkey baster in Singapore

Where you can find turkey baster in Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Pertaining to Ronnie's surprise that Kenneth was able to get hold of a turkey baster, I would like to share with all of you where you can buy from in Singapore. But after this post is out, good luck to the early birds, because I only saw FIVE being displayed and I already bought TWO, Kenneth took ONE. heehee!

Surprisingly you can't find it at any supermarkets here, not even at Cold Storage. But I guessed it's Christmas time, so those stores who have it will display them.

I bought it at ISETAN Scotts Rd (LIDO), on the same level as the Japanese Restaurant. The brand is OXO and it's very expensive, $15.90. But the tube is good plastic material and it comes with a brush for washing.

By the way, anyone else would like to share where you can buy turkey baster here?

Just in case that ISETAN ran out of stock, can I have a show of hands who are really keen on getting one? I see if I can help. I have a friend studying in US and he might agree to help me get some more(he helped me to buy my first 2 basters). His visiting relatives might be able to bring them back by January 04. I can't remember the exact price, probably about SGD$10 after conversion. So, do let know me know by 24 Dec.

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Louise Chng gave me a turkey baster during the gathering. She said she bought it from one of our departmental stores. I took a look at the tag and I think she bought it from Robinson's. The brand is "Chef Aid" and the baster is graduated on both sides, one in ounces and the other in millimetres. It's a nice baster. Here's a picture:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where you can find turkey baster in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by darrenlum
    Pertaining to Ronnie's surprise that Kenneth was able to get hold of a turkey baster, I would like to share with all of you where you can buy from in Singapore. But after this post is out, good luck to the early birds, because I only saw FIVE being displayed and I already bought TWO, Kenneth took ONE. heehee!
    heh... Darren, I've had my share of turkey basters and after having looked around for one and not finding it even at Tangs (which supposedly has the best selection in kitchen wares), I got mine online and that was a long while back. It was a good deal for 3 pieces of basters @ US$10 (I think). One is with Kwek Leong and he loved it, compared to the eye dropper he was using then, and my reserve piece is now with Sia Meng.
    (BTW, Kwek Leong now owns a few more basters, including the 'mother of all basters' and it's HUGE! )

I just managed to secure another for US$5. Shipping was another $9.25;

It should arrive shortly via Air.

Surprisingly you can't find it at any supermarkets here, not even at Cold Storage. But I guessed it's Christmas time, so those stores who have it will display them.
    Considering that turkey is a seasonal dish (hey! it's Christmas time again!!), it isn't surprising that one can't find any. During my search, I have to explain to the sales people that it looks like a BIG eye-dropper!! (when the lady HAD to ask what it was for, I said I have BIG EYES! )

I bought it at ISETAN Scotts Rd (LIDO), on the same level as the Japanese Restaurant. The brand is OXO and it's very expensive, $15.90. But the tube is good plastic material and it comes with a brush for washing.
    ok... now you've done it! I can see everyone making a mad dash to Isetan! :wink:

Most of what basters I own are glass with a rubber 'bulb', and I prefer glass to plastic... makes it easier and faster to 'disinfect' when using it between tanks.

By the way, anyone else would like to share where you can buy turkey baster here?
    Can't tell you! but if I said online auction, I'll bet everyone knows where it is!!! BTW, avoid those stainless steel types and those from Tupperware with the non-drip thingie at the end of the tube. That's a fry killer!

Just in case that ISETAN ran out of stock, can I have a show of hands who are really keen on getting one? I see if I can help. I have a friend studying in US and he might agree to help me get some more(he helped me to buy my first 2 basters).
    If your friend can get those with glass tubes and a bulb that connects from the inside, ie. the bulb stump fits into the tube (see above pic), then I'm game for another 2. I'm sure Sia Meng would want one extra, now that he's addicted to it!

BTW are your first 2 basters made from glass or plastic?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Darren, I will be interested in getting if you can get some.

Feedback Score

where?

Ronnie, Darren's first 2 basters were glass with rubber bulb wrapped on the outside of the tube. Very nice to use but unforunately... Anyway, those basters from Isetan can be "dismantled" and wash. Comes with a big opening and brush too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: where?

Quote Originally Posted by MCSim
    Very nice to use but unforunately...
    Unfortunately?? urm... despite the worst case scenario, could you elaborate?

I'm guessing that someone with butter fingers sent the GLASS basters to an early demise... but I'll let you tell the rest of the story :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    This is one thing that I can’t do without, it is really indispensable! I use it to feed, remove uneaten food from fry box, remove fry from hatching water and… and… and…

Emm did you say plastic? I still prefer a glass blaster.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Hi,

Yup, the OXO ones are plastic tube. Having use both glass and plastic types, I find nothing disadvantageous about using the plastic tube baster. As for disinfecting, just pour hot water over it. The plastic tube is designed to take the heat. I would think it's better cos if you drop it, it won't shatter like the glass tube. With the glass tube type, every time you use it, you've got to be mindful about not dropping it. Just my point of view.

Well, the first 2 basters that my friend bought for me is glass type. The tubes did not 'manage' to break but it was the rubber bulbs that cracked. I guessed maybe it's the cold room temperature that caused the bulbs to be more brittle.

Tentatively, on the list is only :
    1. Kennedy Ng

Will someone also try Robinson's?

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Darren, I want one also.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fellas,

When Madan Subramaniam was here in Singapore, I showed him the turkey baster Ronnie gave me. Madan took one look at it and said it would be a "piece of cake" for him to make an exact replica. I know Madan wasn't just boasting as he managed to make very good copies of equipment like the spiralling glass CO2 reactor and CO2 drop-checker. He got a glass blower to do them. Here's a picture of the equipment Madan gave me.

If his glass blower can make a spiralling glass CO2 reactor, the turkey baster would really be a "piece of cake" to him. Madan who's a marine engineer is out at sea now and he won't be back until a few months later. But he wrote me to ask for the baster's dimensions so I'm sure he will be sending me one when he gets home. I can't ask Madan to make copies for you all but I'm sure if I ask, he will send a few. Be extra nice to me and I will give you one when I get them

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong, what I'm about to suggest is just that, a suggestion... but if it makes any sense, do think about it.

If we can support the cottage industry* of the glass blower, perhaps we can bulk order a load of basters, diffusors and CO2 checkers... and proceeds from sale of these items can go to a library?

Sounds like a win-win situ to me and if it's worth considering, put me up for 3 basters, 4 diffusors and 6 CO2 checkers! (If you think the idea sucks, then nah... forget it!)

* ...of course I might be wrong... that glass blower might have the current state-of-the-art equipment running a mid-sized factory!

Be extra nice to me and I will give you one when I get them
    Guys and gals, by that I think Kwek Leong meant... don't aggravate him with sunken English! So... mind your language and he'll give ya a sucker... oops! I meant baster!! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    perhaps we can bulk order a load of basters, diffusors and CO2 checkers... and proceeds from sale of these items can go to a library?
    Ronnie,

For your idea to work, we have to have some sort of fund first. We would need money to buy the items from Madan's glass blower. I have reservations about starting a fund as that would involve collecting money from members. Once there's money involved, we become accountable to the contributors and we would owe it to them to do something with the money. Your suggestion for a library of books to be shared by all is a great idea but there are certain drawbacks.

I have bad experiences with collecting contributions from fellow-hobbyists. I won't go into the details but you can take it from me when I say that a good idea can turn out to be a really bad one when things turn sour. Currently, things are rosy as the number of serious Singaporean hobbyists here is small and we get along well with each other. But things don't stay the same forever and we won't know how it will be like in future.

I will ask Madan if he's willing to sell the basters/CO2 reactors/CO2 drop checkers to us when he returns home but I seriously doubt he would agree. If I know Madan, he doesn't like to be involved in monetary transactions with fellow hobbyists as he's a hobbyist at heart. But I'm quite sure he wouldn't mind sending a few basters over for free. You can rest assured one of the basters will be for you. If there's anyone here who deserves a good baster, it's you.

Loh K L

Hi all,

The relatives of my friend did not make their trip to US due to the recent earthquake there. As such, the turkey basters will not arrive so soon if I were to request my friend to buy because he will only return to Singapore in April.

I will not be proceeding as planned, that is to get the basters from my friend. Instead I find it faster and cheaper if we could order from Ronnie's source. Probably, we could collate and bulk order from Ronnie's source and save a bit on shipping.

Kennedy Ng and Poh San, u guys still interested?

Hi Ronnie, care to share with us where to order your kind of baster online?

Woossa!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am still interested

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Instead I find it faster and cheaper if we could order from Ronnie's source. Probably, we could collate and bulk order from Ronnie's source and save a bit on shipping.

... care to share with us where to order your kind of baster online?
    Darren,
    I got mine off the largest online auction site... it's sooo big that I don't need to say where it is... serious!

The item isn't always available and one needs to be careful. The last one that arrived looks fine... until I noticed a pin hole in the rubber 'ball'. It felt somewhat stiff and after squeezing it a couple of times, it developed into a full blown crack, so big... that I could have stuffed 2 thumbs into it!

For those who're owning their first baster, go for the one available locally. There's no risk and you won't have to whine about a defect. Price-wise, I think the $16 tag is reasonable.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks,

Ever since I became an internet user, I've been the recipient of many acts of kindness and generosity from many people living in various parts of the world. I wouldn't have been able to build this web site and forum if not for these kind folks. Many are people whom I've never met and we know each other only online. I've also seen many similar acts of generosity from many Singaporeans in this forum. Sia Meng, Au and Ronnie have sent their killifish eggs to people elsewhere many times and they usually don't charge a cent for doing so. It's really heart-warming to know that in these turbulent times we live in, where one can easily become cynical, there are many kind people around.

Today, I got an email from someone in this forum. I won't disclose his identity because I think he wants to remain anonymous. He lives in the US of A. Here is his email:

Hi Kwek Leong,

I would like to send 10 turkey basters for you and whoever needs them. Since I have benefited so much from the forum, I would really like to give
    something back so please don't deny me this gesture! :smile:

I am writing hoping that you can advise me of some general features the
    turkey basters should possess as to be suitable for killifish uses (i.e.
    plastic or glass, etc.). Otherwise, there is no point for me to send you
    useless turkey basters.

Thank you K.L.

As far as I know, the plastic ones are much cheaper than those made of glass. But in terms of clarity, glass is better, of course. Please let us know what sort of turkey baster you think are the best. It would be good if you can post a picture.

I don't know how I should distribute the basters when they arrive but maybe it will be by "lucky draw". Only those who have participated actively in the discussions in this forum would qualify for the draw, of course.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    It's really heart-warming to know that in these turbulent times we live in, where one can easily become cynical, there are many kind people around.
    Believe it Kwek Leong, when old geezers say "goodwill is reciprocal".

As for baster features, both glass and plastic tubes will work but where possible, find those with the 'suction ball' connecting from INSIDE the tube (see baster with red ball in earlier posting).

Also, a 6-incher would be easier to handle and less clumsy than a 10-inch mother-of-a-baster!

I don't know how I should distribute the basters when they arrive but maybe it will be by "lucky draw". Only those who have participated actively in the discussions in this forum would qualify for the draw, of course.
    Kwek Leong, I already have an assortment of basters and will skip the 'draw'. Let someone else have a go at it.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Darrum,
    I think I will wait for the "lucky draw". Anyway, I am using a plastic sucker which I bought it from the two dollars shop in IMM. I find it quite handy to change water for fry, remove leaftover food and go on. The photo is as follows:

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Hi Poh San & all,

I guessed this generous and helpful friend of KL solved the baster problem.

I currently have 3, bought another 2 from Isetan. So, I'll skip the draw and let others who really need it have it. Anyway, I think I'm not qualified also.

Hi Ronnie, I'm still keen on your that dawrf baster with the bulb on the inside. Care to let me know where you've ordered from?

Woossa!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm still keen on your that dawrf baster with the bulb on the inside. Care to let me know where you've ordered from?
    Good grief Darren! You really don't know where Eeee-Pay* is, don't cha?

Now that the cat's out of the goodie bag, please check who you're going against... if it happens to be a SG guy, it might be me! :wink:

* Be wary of 'over-shopping' while you're there. Eeee-Pain... is what you're likely to feel when your card's statement comes in!
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast