Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Java Ferns

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have even seen for sale and bought some narrow leaf java fern. It was however a much larger variety to the version Loh K L has in his pictures
    If not mistaken what you saw was Microsorum pt. "Philippine", the length of the leave is as long as the narrow leave java fern. The width is slightly bigger than the narrow leave.
    Saw it at the Aquarama and Kerin’s shop, it is very nice, but I still prefer the narrow leave.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Gwee,
    You are probably right. The plant I saw from tropica was labeled narrow leaf java fern but was much bigger than the normal narrow leaf java fern. I assume the labeling was wrong.
    Cheers
    Tony

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    p-lvp,

Thanks for the photos. The "philippines", helped by the leaf's texture, have more character than the "narrows", I like it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for showing us the photographs. It seems like the narrow leaves from Tropical is quite different from what we have here. From the photographs it is very much broader as compact to our narrow leaves.

I will have to be more careful next time when friends from US write to me asking for “narrow leave”. I will need to ask them, “which narrow leaves are you referring to??!! Singapore version or Tropical Version??” That is the problem if we used common names, the same with killies.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    P-lvp,

From the pictures, I think it is quite obvious the ferns were grown emmersed. The Narrow Leaf Java Ferns in the picture didn't have leaves that were very narrow. Grown submersed, the leaves are a lot narrower. You should be getting some from me soon so you will know there's a difference.

By the way, I also have Indian Java Ferns in one of my tanks. Madan Subramaniam gave me a stalk when he was here for Aquarama last month. The stalk has only a few young leaves so I can't tell how it is different from normal Java Ferns. If I can grow them, I will post some pictures.

Loh K L

From the pictures, I think it is quite obvious the ferns were grown emmersed.
    I think you are very accurate Kwek Leong. Tropica propagates these plants emersed. Here are a few pictures that Oliver Knot took when he visited Tropica's nursery in Denmark: Bilder 6, Bilder 7, and Bilder 8. Bilder 7 includes photos of how Tropica propagates these ferns, with only the rhizomes in the nutrient-controlled water.