Country
    Singapore

Grindal culturing with synthetic media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

I'm liaising and workling closely with a fellow KillieTalk member, on culturing grindals in a synthetic media, and it's very unlike conventional bedding like soil, cocopeat and sponges.

It is a technique that has been fine-tuned by 'RJ' over a few years of experimenting, and countless trials and errors on various materials. The end-result is a culture that's easy to maintain and provide good yield.

Already, I've a few non-killie friends who are participating and I'm extending this information here, because I care, to those who have gotten their grindal cultures from me.

If you're interested, please liaise your progress with me so that I can compile the results and forward it to 'RJ' who has already done much of the legwork. Live food advocates should be thankful for people like him, I know I am.

Personally, I have faith that it's a viable alternative so please check out this link. It's a photo-essay of sorts and it will be a continual update as my own grindal box progresses, so check back often.

I know there're those who'd prefer to lurk and skim the info, but I really look forward to hear from you and especially your participation.

Life can be made so much more interesting if we can open up and share... where's the fun in hiding behind a silly monitor? :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Interesting, it seems less messy as compared to peat. I will set up a new culture using this method.

BTW have you tried Spirulina Powder?

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    Interesting, it seems less messy as compared to peat. I will set up a new culture using this method.
    Yes, Sia Meng, that's what I thought too and it's easier to clean and maintain. Should it prove more productive than conventional media, I'll be converting ALL my remaining cultures.

As for Spirulina, it leaves some residual as does powered whole wheat and fish flakes, similar to what 'RJ' has observed.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks alot for all that hard work,Ron!! It gave me the push that I needed to give it a try. I was keeping track of that thread on killietalk,just wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again for the push!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    Thanks alot for all that hard work,Ron!!
    Hey hey hey, Deb, nice to have you back online. As for the effort, it was more a labor of love, ie. love of my finned charges and also photography.

It gave me the push that I needed to give it a try. I was keeping track of that thread on killietalk,just wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Yes, please do give it a go. My synthetic culture is coming along nicely and I do see some growth in the numbers. But because I started off with fewer worms, I may not see it boom anytime soon.

One thing I've changed is to remove the "Bug Bag" as it was restricting air-exchange and it's causing the grindals to get out of the scubbers and drowning in the water bath. Hopefully, the culture won't get infested by fruitflies and their cousins.

Thanks for even considering the technique and please let me know how it progresses.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,
    I got one worm culture going.
    Now for a quick question......
    I found a clear container, the other day in the attic.I was going to use it for fry. I tested it first for chemicals by putting two fry in the container.The fry only lasted two days.So the plastic is not a safe one for fish but would it be for worms?Also would the worms then pass the chemicals on to the fish which in turn would end up in the same results?
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    I got one worm culture going. Now for a quick question......
    Hiya Deb, ok... you've got one culture growing in ____ ? Heh, would have saved me time trying to guess whether it's cocopeat or scrubbers!

I found a clear container, the other day in the attic.I was going to use it for fry. I tested it first for chemicals by putting two fry in the container.The fry only lasted two days.
    My approach is mostly; when in doubt, discard... unless the container is really sturdy, I'd wash it out real good and maybe even bleach it before use, and rinse as if water was for free. Better safe than sorry.

So the plastic is not a safe one for fish but would it be for worms?Also would the worms then pass the chemicals on to the fish which in turn would end up in the same results?
    I like to buy takeaway containers that are meant for food and some can be used in the microwave. If it's good for human, it's good for fry and stuffs.

Cultures are what they eat... both good and bad.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ron wrote:
    you've got one culture growing in ____ ?

Did you guess right? The answer is srcubbers.
    I guess that the container will go back to the attic to hold something that it can not harm. Thanks, Ron.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear all,

I've been nurturing my 1st culture of grindal worms raised in a synthetic media for close to 2 months and this is what it looks like now...

Lotsa wonderful, yummy grubs for my killies.

Original page, 1st update and current status of cultures.

Enjoy it while I take my shuteye... zzzzz
    Ronnie Lee