Country
    Singapore

Fries in the Water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone!
    I've been real lucky these few days. My discus pair has managed to raise the fry into free swimmers and I was over the moon.

Last night I was feeding my fishes in the planted tank and guess what I saw... I had a pair of marble rams! One normal variety and the other was the golden variety. And they had about a hundred fries swimming around them! The parents were guarding the fries fiercely, chasing any cardinals away. Even my discus got a nip on the tail when he came too close to the fries... hehehehe

I have taken a picture of the happy family but my photography skills are not too good. The fries are the little whitish specks around the parents.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Congratulations, Kevin.

The conditions in your tank must be ideal or else the Rams wouldn't be breeding there. I've tried to breed Rams many times but never had any success.

You should start hatching brine shrimp eggs immediately. Without food, the fry won't last very long.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Congratulation!

It amazed me when I first saw fries being tightly protected by the parents in a planted tank, in a fish shop (Mr Fish). I understand that they even ignore eating to standby the babies.

The more I know about the nature, the less I understand. KL shared with me about the fishes and animals, in order to reproduce theeir next generation, are even willingly to sacrify themselve. They have the instint and strong mission to do that. That makes me wonder if they have life after death.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mr Loh and Freddy,

I'm feeding them Liquifry, I think its infusoria. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So far the pair is really terrorizing the tank hehehe.

They are hiding in the clump of Blyxa Japonica. Lower part of the tank really isolated because no fish is brave enough to go there. Quite cute really...

I don't really monitor my water conditions unless there is an algae bloom. Just change water once every two weeks and regular feeding. Surprised that they suddenly emerge with their offspring. So far, feeding the parents not really a problem as they take turns to guard the fries.

Mr Loh if you want to try keeping them, when they have a new batch of fries I'll hand them over to you.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I'm feeding them Liquifry, I think its infusoria.
    Kevin, although the labels said so, Liquidfry is not a fish food. It only helps to encourage the growth of infusoria. You won't have enough infusoria to raise your fry. If you don't give them baby brine shrimp or Daphnia, chances are up to 90% of the fry will die from starvation.

Mr Loh if you want to try keeping them, when they have a new batch of fries I'll hand them over to you.
    Thanks for your kind offer, Kevin but I have more fish than I can handle. Even though you may not want them, you should try and raise as many fry into adults as you can because there is no sight more beautiful in aquaria than a brood of fry swimming around their parents. It will be worth the trouble. If you don't have brine shrimp eggs, you can buy them from Karin Leow of Far East Aquatic. I left many containers of brine shrimp eggs with Karin. The eggs are premium grade quality and are guaranteed to have very high hatch rates.

Loh K L