My latest collection.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

After 4~5 months of incubation, finally I had fry for this fish. I had retired my males into a planted tank for them.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Sia Meng, I just received eggs of this fish from a guy in France. The eggs are due somewhere in late April. Hopefully I'll have a fish just as nice as yours in the first pic. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Hi Stomhawk,

Actually I had one really nice male; unfortunately he died before I could take a picture of him. The gold on his body is really very distinct and the bottom half of the body was really very dark.

He was guarding the bowl all the time and will only swim out of the bowl occasionally. He grew weaker as he did not come out of the bowl to get food and eventually died.

The other male that took over the bowl was the male in the first picture. It is not even half as handsome as the first male.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The male was guarding the bowl? I thought they weren't territorial in nature. Anyway, if the dead male was much more beautiful than the one in the pic then its really a waste. Maybe he was already too old by then.

I also couldn't take some pics of my fish before they died. Some of my fish, I managed to take a pic but they were really lousy in quality. Not until I got my new camera last year did I manage to get any good pics.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Anyway, if the dead male was much more beautiful than the one in the pic then its really a waste.
    No waste, my friend. If the male died from exhaustion from fertilising the eggs, Sia Meng should have many eggs that carry his genes.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    The male was guarding the bowl? I thought they weren't territorial in nature. Anyway, if the dead male was much more beautiful than the one in the pic then its really a waste. Maybe he was already too old by then.
    I don’t know if I will call it territorial, it was always the same male in the breeding bowl and the other male will be chased out of the bowl if they went into the bowl, sometimes female too. It did not die of old age, he was only about 3 months old when it died.

There wasn’t any visible sign of diseases.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Hi Sia Meng,

What is the degree of wetness when you incubate the eggs for this particular specie? The degree of wetness measured from 1(wettest) to 5(most dry). Ermm...or was it the other way round. Anyone read this article from the AKA journal about wetness of peat?

And what sort of temperature did you maintain at?

Cheers pal!
    Darren Lum

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenlum
    The degree of wetness measured from 1(wettest) to 5(most dry). Ermm...or was it the other way round. Anyone read this article from the AKA journal about wetness of peat?
    Darren, you ought to hang around here more often. There was partial coverage of that in the SJO thread.

References:
    "A Number System to Indicate Peat Moss Wetness" by Roger W. Langton - article hosted at Bay Area Killifish Association's site.

"Peat wetness" by Dr. Roger D. Brousseau - Reprinted from: South American Annual Killifish Version 2.0.1, hosted at Patrick Coleman's site.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi Darren,

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    "Peat wetness" by Dr. Roger D. Brousseau - Reprinted from: South American Annual Killifish Version 2.0.1, hosted at Patrick Coleman's site.
    I use (#3) Semi-wet (peat squeezed in a net two or more times with no other drying), for all my annuals eggs. I do not leave them in the newspaper for further drying. Simp auratus will eyed up and ready to wet after 8 weeks of incubation. However as I was running out of space, I hold the eggs for another 3 months. Of course I checked the eggs every week to see if the eggs goes bad. So far so good.

The same for my Simp magnificus, it has been in the drawer for 6 months now. and the eggs are still good. Some of the eggs are still clear. This is what I like about annuals. I can have more space for other fish.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sia Meng, for the auratus, what was the pH of the hatching water and are the fry sensitive to the water condition of their holding tray? I'd really appreciate some help here. Prepare myself earlier is better. :wink:

On another note, anyone here have any experience with Simp. marginatus?

Feedback Score
    Sia Meng, for the auratus, what was the pH of the hatching water and are the fry sensitive to the water condition of their holding tray? I'd really appreciate some help here. Prepare myself earlier is better.
    Stormhawk

I use water straight from the tap to wet all my eggs. As for holding and raising tray, still tap water.

I treat all my killies the same, I feed them frozen and live blood worms, live tubifex, BBS and adult BS. So to me except for dry food, all killies eat the same thing.

BTW the fry is big enough to eat BBS.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    About time I dragged this thread out from the ashes. This species disappeared for a short while after the last known pairs died off.

It was revived when Ronnie decided to get some eggs in from one of our last orders with a breeder in Europe. His attempt was short-lived as several fry did not make it. Out of the 2 remaining fry, both were females therefore the line was essentially gone.

As promised to Ronnie, here is the picture of the last surviving female in Singapore, currently in my care. I hope it does justice to the golden beauty of this female, one of the largest Simp. females I've seen in my life.

Feedback Score
    hello Jianyang et al

I was wondering is Simpsonichthys trilineatus was in the SG neighbourhood? And if so if you would be willing to entertain my curiosity and cross the auratus females to the trilineatus males and see what happens... It would be very interesting from a scientific perspective. The progeny would need to be back crossed to one of the parent species and to each other to see what happens there after they would have to be destroyed or put into a nice display tank to patiently wait for nature to takes it course. Lots of photos would need to be taken.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, I was about to comment that this fish looks rather like the S. trilineatus I got from Au.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tyrone,

Interesting as it may seem I'm sorry but I don't think I can fulfil that request. The trilineatus is in the hands of just one hobbyist here and I don't think hybridisation is in the works.

Choy, yes they are similar. When auratus was first described it was said that its closest relative morphologically was trilineatus. Males share a similar body form and pattern except that the males of auratus have a golden sheen in the front half of the body. Trilineatus is more of a reddish-gold fish whereas auratus is brilliant gold diffusing into a darker blue tinge.

The differences are stated in the original description.

Feedback Score
    These 2 species (auratus and trilineatus) sit on opposite sides of the same river in the same floodplain. I'm very curious whether they are cross fertile and how distinct the phenotypes are.

I like the way Costa gives every different looking fish a different name as it makes life much simpler for us poor hobbyists. But, as a biologist (with an interest in evolutionary mechanisms) I'm very interested to know just how distinct the 2 forms really are.

How well... guess I will have to do the cross myselff oneday...

Bye

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Digging this thread out of the dust again. Obtained a young pair through the kind graces of Gan (turaco). Fish were from Choy's purchase of auratus eggs in another previous order.

I don't have trilineatus for comparison but I must say this is a very nice species indeed.

The locality name Lagoa Grande is also present in Pernambuco state and in Minas Gerais state. Since this species is found in the state of Minas Gerais, I added in the additional data to prevent any confusion with the other locality.