Thread: Looking for Logs with Mini Moss

Feedback Score

Looking for Logs with Mini Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, this is Felix.
    I've just uprooted some old plants in my fish tank and would like to fill that space in the tank with logs (those that curve up & down forming a hole for fishes to swim through) with mini moss fully grown on it.

Can anyone advise where can I find or buy such logs?

By the way, how much hours of light should I provide java or mini moss with so that they will flourish (bearing in mind that more light means more heat which moss don't like)? Do they need liquid fertilisers?

Thank you.
    Cheers to a Brand New Year tomorrow.
    Do hope that next year will be peaceful with lots of good and happy news.

Felix Wong (Office: 64152634)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Felix,

Welcome to the forum.

These drift woods or roots are readily available in aquarium shops. However, to have mini moss (riccia?), you normally have to order in advance. Shops like Bioplast at Towner Rd, Teo Aquatic (farm) do take such job.

Plants are very adaptable living things, most can live with lighting period between 6~14 hrs. However, 8~10 hrs are ideal. I chose 8.5 hrs.

All plants need fertilizers (their main food source) to live, they differ on the consumption rate and nutrient type.

Feedback Score
    Thank you Freddy for your response.

I am not referring to Riccia.

The mini moss that I liked can be viewed at http://www.nature-aquarium.com/xmas.htm

Felix

this would also be taiwan moss right, Mr. Loh? Isn't it fairly easy to obtain in Singapore?

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by strung_0ut
    this would also be taiwan moss right, Mr. Loh?
    Dennis, as far as I know, there's no such thing as Mini-Moss. I have never seen them on sale before, not in the fish shops nor in the fish farms. Only one person in Singapore has them and he sells the Mini Moss through his web site. I'm sure you know which web site I'm referring to.

Frankly, I think the so-called Mini Moss is actually Christmas Moss grown poorly.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Dennis, as far as I know, there's no such thing as Mini-Moss. I have never seen them on sale before, not in the fish shops nor in the fish farms. Only one person in Singapore has them and he sells the Mini Moss through his web site. I'm sure you know which web site I'm referring to.

Frankly, I think the so-called Mini Moss is actually Christmas Moss grown poorly.

Loh K L
    KL, to be fair, you-know-who has both the "mini" and the christmas moss on his website, unless you're suggesting that one tank is "purposely" grown poorly to "create product differentiation"?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

There are only Mini Moss pictures on his website but there are none for sale. Would that seem strange to you?

I have very good reasons to believe that the moss in his tanks are grown poorly. I didn't know about this until about a year ago when I had a really bad experience. Someone stole my Christmas Moss picture and claimed it to be his own. He even copyrighted the picture and locked it on his site so that it couldn't be saved with a right mouse click. Why would anyone who already have the Christmas Moss in his tanks and can take very good photographs want to steal my picture when he could easily get one from his own tanks?

I don't have any problems with people using my pictures. On my gallery pages of my website, I stated clearly that anyone can use my pictures and they don't even have to ask me for permission nor give me credit. All I ask is that people shouldn't claim the pictures as their own when they use them.

Anyone with any decency should find my request perfectly reasonable.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

There are only Mini Moss pictures on his website but there are none for sale. Would that seem strange to you?
    is that right! anyway I find the main-page caption about yamato very glaring, because the pic shows a malayan

I have very good reasons to believe that the moss in his tanks are grown poorly. I didn't know about this until about a year ago when I had a really bad experience. Someone stole my Christmas Moss picture and claimed it to be his own. He even copyrighted the picture and locked it on his site so that it couldn't be saved with a right mouse click. Why would anyone who already have the Christmas Moss in his tanks and can take very good photographs want to steal my picture when he could easily get one from his own tanks?
    Well even if you can't right click, it is still in your browser cache. Perhaps he doesn't have a digicam?

It is very good to know about these people's practice as I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them, much less buy their stuff.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Loh K L
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and is planning to set up a small Moss tank in my office. I have read the old discussion thread on Mosses on The Krib but I am still pretty confused about Mini, Taiwan and Xmas Moss as well. Mr Chan from Nature Aquarium told me the moss he sells is Taiwan Moss. Any idea what exactly is Taiwan Moss ? and recently I also see some LFS selling Erect/Vertical Moss.

Does anyone know the scientific name of the various Mosses ? My Aquarium Plant Handbook only gives the name for Java and Willow Moss.

Java Moss = Vesicularia dubyana
    Willow Moss = Fontainalis antipyretica
    Christmas Moss = ?
    Erect/Vertical Moss = ?
    Taiwan Moss = ?

Gan