Bringing Aquatic Plants/Fishes into Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Teck Song sent me a private message, in which he wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by ts168
    HI Mr Loh,

Would like to ask you if it alright to bring in to singapore when anyone go on holiday.
    Was told that we are not allow to bring in nowaday.

Can you pls advise me. Cause in event if i happen to go out of singapore and see something nice. Might tempt to bring in for personal purpose.

thanks.
    Best Regards
    Teck Song
    I think Teck Song's question would be of general interest to other hobbyists too so I'm answering his question here.

Teck Song, on the AVA (Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore) web site, it is stated:

AVA allows each traveller to import not more than 50 pieces of ornamental fish (non-endangered and non-restricted species) in not more than 3 litres of packing water from any country as part of one's carry-on luggage for personal keeping without applying for an import license or approval. This is subject to a maximum of 100 pieces in not more than 6 litres of total packing water per car (2 or more persons in the car). The traveller should declare the fishes brought in to the Customs upon entering Singapore

If the fish to be imported is an endangered species such as the Asian arowana (Scleropages formosus), the traveller has to ensure the fish is accompanied by a CITES(Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild Fauna and Flora) export permit from the country of export/origin, for which a Singapore CITES import permit must be obtained from the Wildlife Regulatory Branch (CITES) at AVA, 5 Maxwell Road, #02-03 MND Complex, S(069110), (tel: 6227 0670 and Fax: 6325 7646) before importation of the fish.

Under the Fisheries Act (Chapter 111, Section 7), the Fisheries (Piranha) Rules state that the importation of Piranha into Singapore is strictly prohibited. Any person who contravenes this legislation is liable to an offence.

For fish species that you are not sure, it is always a good practice to check with AVA (tel: 6751 9809/804) prior the import.

As for aquatic plants, these are the rules:

Q1: What are the regulations regarding the import of plants?
    A:
    • The import of plants is regulated by the Phytosanitary and Plant Quarantine Section of AVA.
    • Plants can be imported into Singapore subject to the following requirements.
    • West Malaysia: Presently there is no restriction.
    • Countries other than from South Africa Tropic: If the plant is imported without soil or growing medium (bare-rooted), a phytosannnitory certificate is required from the country of origin, declaring that the soil or growing medium is treated with the pesticides stated in the permit. If the plant is imported with soil or growing/potting medium (peat moss etc), an AVA Import Permit is required. The permit costs $18 and is valid for one consignment only and can be used within.
    • 3 months. This permit should be acquired prior to import.
    • Countries from South America Tropic: The import of soil/other growing medium or plants with soil/growing medium is not allowed. In addition to an AVA Import permit, the phytosanitary certificate form the country of origin should state that "The plants are free from South American Leaf Blight (Microcyclus ulei) or produced in regions free from South American Leaf Blight.
    • In addition to the above conditions, all plants will be subjected to a post-entry inspection by AVA.
    • For CITES controlled plants (Endangered plants), a CITES permit is required for import.

As far as I know, although the rules sound strict, the customs at Changi airport usually will let you walk right through the "Nothing to Declare" gates without bothering to inspect your hand-carried luggage if you walk casually But bear in mind that there are people watching you through cameras so you have to really walk casually or else they will pull you to one side and subject you to a hundred percent check. As far as I know, a hundred percent check would mean you have to strip and they will even check your orifices

Then again, it's really not a big deal even if they catch you with fish or plants in your bags. I doubt they will bring you to court but they would probably confiscate everything. Singapore, being a non-agricultural country does not have strict rules regarding the import of live organisms. If they really care about our ecology, the idiots in the Straits Times would have highlighted the fact that people shouldn't release LuoHans into our streams and rivers when they published those stories. They write about people catching LuoHans in our rivers but not a word was said about it being destructive to our ecology.

Frankly, I don't think they care.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bringing Aquatic Plants/Fishes into Singapore

Thanks Mr Loh, Really appreciate your advise and informations.

Why i send you a private message is because i not sure if it appropriate to post this in the main. Nevertheless i think it provide some information to all who might bring in when they go on holiday.

Cheers.
    Happy New Year and Wish everyone and their Family a Happy Prosperous New Year...

Teck Song
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....