Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    How are the fry from the eggs doing?
    Hiya Tom,

A quick recap...
    Aphyosemion primigenium Kanda, hatched on Nov 29th 2003. The first wetting initiated by Kwek Leong yielded 20 frys while the 2nd box yielded 4 (the last few were really stunted and didn't make it... and I don't know why).

I did water change for the little guys and manual count tells me I still have 16, out of the original 24 that hatched.

On a varied diet of live foods, the largest is about 2cm and growth is kinda slow at 2 1/2months or is this in line with expectations?

Pic of the largest and he's beginning to color up. Bigger pic here.

There seems to be a little lump/hump on his head, as does a few others. Is this 'normal' at pre sub-adult stage? I've verified with available online pics of adult specimens and these don't show it.

What about their parents? Comments please.

BTW, how are your Aphy BIT 47KM North Lagos doing? Any good spawns recently?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi Ronnie

I think your growth rate on the primigenium is about right. I found them to be slower growing than other Aphyosemion.

As to the small lump/hump, I've not had it on any of mine yet. I'm guessing the most likely cause is a genetic flaw of some sort, possibly due to inbreeding. I've just collected a batch of eggs to hatch so I'll let you know if I get any irregularities in them.

The BIT are still in a community tank in my room at the moment. They will be going back into the fish house for breeding very soon as I've cleared a couple of tanks.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    I think your growth rate on the primigenium is about right. I found them to be slower growing than other Aphyosemion.
    Ok, I feel relieved. That would put their growth rate along with BITs. I was conparing them with AUS.

I've just collected a batch of eggs to hatch so I'll let you know if I get any irregularities in them.
    Thanks and I'll be waiting for the updates.

They will be going back into the fish house for breeding very soon as I've cleared a couple of tanks.
    Tom, to be honest, I'd love BITs and would be delighted if you can sell me some BIT 47KM North Lagos. I'll reimburse you for the eggs and postage. Alternatively, when I'm able to breed the Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola', I can send some your way.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi Ronnie

I'll make sure the BIT get back in the fish house today. I'll also catch some Fundulopanchax spoorenbergi to try and get some eggs off them.
    Regards
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12