Country
    Singapore

Algae-eating Anchor catfish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

Every now and then, when I come across odd balls that grabs my curiousity, it usually end up in my tanks.

Bought this 12mm little fella from a LFS near Thomson and according to the operator, his supplier makes the following claims;
    1. That is a pygmy or dwarf species of catfish.
    2. That it is an algae eater.
    3. Has the 'common' name of "Anchor Cat".

The top profile of this cat does look like an anchor, but a herbivore?. When I dumped in some tubifex and their barbels detected food, they ate with such gusto that I'll be cautious not to have 'anchor cats' together with younger fry. Yeah right.... algae eating catfish indeed...

Choy, I'll be brining these cats to the photo shoot... in case you can recognise/ID it.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's most likely to be Hara jerdoni, aka the moth catfish. Comes from India, and reaches about 3.5 cm in length (Baensch). A general bottom-feeder rather than algae eater. They remind me more of some insect than a fish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've kept them in my 2.5ft planted tank sometime about 2 years back. They do not feed on algae rather than on worms.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, I put them in my 1ft cube with the cories, amongst the crypts. You should expect not to see them again , they like to "take cover" behind the crypts, one fish to one plant, exactly like what they taught you in infantry school. :wink:

However, you might like to have some of my nice barbs?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for the response! It's always nice to know what exists in our tanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    You should expect not to see them again , they like to "take cover"...:wink:
    oh danged... should have left 2 with you instead of 4 Actually, you can keep them as I suspect they're not 'fry-safe' like some pygmy corys that share my fry tanks. Just upload some nice pics of them!

However, you might like to have some of my nice barbs?
    Choy, I'd love to... if I had excess tank space. Breeding them and distributing a local species should lighten the load of people gathering it from the wild.

I'll take a rain cheque on the barbs, which I assume it's the 6-banded barb we're talking about.

Since I mentioned distribution, I do have tankfuls of Blue Panchax, Blue Badis and Scarlet Badis to clear. Any takers?

Despite my new setup, I'm STILL short on tank space!!! oh well... back to the drawing board...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Since I mentioned distribution, I do have tankfuls of Blue Panchax, Blue Badis and Scarlet Badis to clear. Any takers?
    nah, referring to my three species of Indian barbs.

I will take the blue panchax, I like local fishes. Let me know when they're older. I would also take some of your badis or dario, but for shooting purpose. After which I hope to return or give to others (i.e. if I can catch them).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica