Country
    Singapore

Ronnie's Chocolate Australe

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I took a picture of Ronnie's Aphyosemion australes when he brought a pair to my house for the photo-shoot yesterday. My pic isn't very good as it's out of focus but it shows the male fish in its full glory, with flaring fins. Ronnie's male is one fine specimen of a A. australe (and he's really randy too, probably just like the owner ) but take note you won't see such fine finnages in male australes if you keep them together in the same tank. Males nip each other in the fins.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I keep about 7 orange in a 1.5ft planted tank, they will usually flare at each other during feeding time.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've seen Ronnie's Australe Chocolate and it is indeed very beautiful with its long flowy finnage.

Ronnie, did you keep this 1 male & females together since young and have you seen the females nip the male fins?

In general, will females nip the fins of male fishes?

I have some young females and they are quite aggressive towards the young males although I did not observe any fin-nipping behaviour yet.

Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwek Leong
    Ronnie's male is one fine specimen of a A. australe (and he's really randy too, probably just like the owner)
    sssshhhhh...! Com' on now Kwek Leong, you don't have to tell the world right?

But ah... yes, he's one 'romantically inclined' fella and just so that the females are not harassed, it's him with 3 ladies! (lucky bugger!)

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Wong
    Ronnie, did you keep this 1 male & females together since young and have you seen the females nip the male fins?
    Felix, I grow-out the AUS in a 'dirty dump tank' and as they develope, I select what I feel has potential, ie. 'correct' body form, gusto appetites, color pattern distribution, etc.

If the male is 'in control', females generally don't try to nip his finnage extensions.

For tanks with multiple males, having a thick wad of java moss for those in retreat, will miminize damaged fins.

From Sia Meng's pics, I think the males are young adults and if raised separately, the male in the foreground has pretty good potential too.

BTW Darren, how's the 'king kong' AUS Orange doing? Hope you're getting lotsa good eggs from the trio. If possible, you should shoot a couple of his pics... he's one fine specimen too!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Hi Ronnie,

Your that 'king kong' AUS orange is awesome man! But I think he missed your tubifex worms, I've been trying to feed him with live bloodworms but he don't really seem to like it though. I don't trust tubifex worms until I find a reliable source. I find it troublesome to sterilise them before feeding.

By the way, I've actually separated the females from him after seeing that painful sight of so many unfertilised eggs on the mop at your place. hmmm....probably he's lovesick and that's why his feeding has dropped??

Any supporting fact that if the females find that the male that is so attractive, she will lay more eggs?? Mother nature? I find this could be true cos the females are not laying much eggs with another male.

I'll try to snap some shots of that King Kong AUSome.

Woossa!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I still can't forget how impressive Au's chocolate AUS is. With such broad finage that touches its tail.. Care to show us, Au?

Gan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've transfered all the australes into a 3ft planted tank and I hardly see them. I'll have to clear out some plants from the tank to sopt them. I won't be able to take photos of them as I'm now very tiedup with my work. Let's see what I can do...
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    The finage of Au’s Chocolate should look something like this, however with spots. This is the australe brown.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List