Country
    Singapore

Fish deworming

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

In a culture where most of the tank's inhabitants are 'die and replace', like 'cut and paste', what's the remote chance of anyone here practicing regular deworming for their fishes?

If yes, what would you be using? Is it snail/shrimp/plant/bio safe? Heh, it's rather silly if I have to ask whether it's 'fish-safe' too! :wink:

When I was 'doing' discus, my breeders were dewormed every quarter and my drugs were from a vet. Unfortunately, he's believed to have migrated and I wasn't sure what treatment drug was used then.

Would appreciate any feedback. Curious mind wants to to know.

PS: Deb, do you deworm your chickens?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish deworming

Ronnie,

Other than Discus breeders, I have never heard of fish keepers deworming their fish regularly. I deworm often because there are Camallanus worms in my tanks. Although I'm not sure of the exact dosage, I use Levamisole with great success. Olaf Pronk, the world-renowned reptile breeder told me when he was in Singapore a while ago that another drug called Manacur is better for deworming fish than Levamisole. He said Levamisole is too potent and is likely to kill fish.

By the way, someone told me that you can buy Levamisole in liquid form quite easily from the bird shops. He recommended the one at Serangoon North, next to Rainhow Aquarium.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,
    Yes, we worm the chickens and all animals on the farm.The dogs I do every month from May to Nov. So that got me thinking, why not fish?
    So I have been using Panacur even with fry and have not lost fry to worming.If you want to know how much to use let me know I'll look it up.I don't have the notebook handy.I worm the fish every two months,and new fish right away. I have been doing that since I lost fish to those camallanus worms. I used what we have here on the farm for cattle to get rid of those buggers!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    So I have been using Panacur even with fry and have not lost fry to worming.If you want to know how much to use let me know I'll look it up.
    Deb, I'm not sure if Panacur is available but I'll check around. Is it in liquid or powder/crystal form? Knowing the dosage would be reassuring, especially with fry.

worm the fish every two months,and new fish right away. I have been doing that since I lost fish to those camallanus worms.
    Can I take it that Panacur has been effective against camallanus? Was the treatment done in a hospital or planted tank?

The dogs I do every month from May to Nov. So that got me thinking, why not fish?
    This is off-topic, but my curiousity is getting the better of me... whatever happened the period between Dec~Apr? Is the last dose in Nov ample to pull through winter and early spring where the weather is too cold for worm infestation?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Okay...Ron, to answer these questions!
    1.Panacur dosage:1/4 teaspoon to 5 gals. of water. I use the granules which do not disolve well sprinkled on the water, so make a thick paste out of the granules, using a spoon to mash the granules.Then add water to thin the paste,which is then added to the tank.
    2.The Fp.mirabilis that had the camellanus worms were in a tank by themselves,with a gravel bottom and mops.I used a cattle wormer containing levamisole that killed the worms.When I saw that worm hanging out of the female I knew that I was in for trouble.I am not a careful person. I use a Python to clean my tanks out,.. of course,I start at the first tank that I come to and continue until I'm done.Which is no problem until you see a worm hanging out of a fish,or some fuzzy stuff growing on the tail! Then as you all know,I am headed for big troubles.Then I read that Panacur doesn't harm plants nor snails.Oh, boy that is great! Good old horse wormer! The farm animals to the rescue again.
    Now as whether Pancur prevents camellanus,I can not say for sure.I do know that I haven't seen a camellanus worm since,nor are my mosses,or water sprite brown.
    3. Now for the dogs...I worm the dogs in the summer for heartworms( which also takes care of other worms) that are carried by mosquitos,and in the winter they aren't exposed to mosquitos. The cattle,horses and chickens, we worm spring and fall,whether the cold kills the worm and the eggs go dormant,I don't know.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Ronnie

Deb, I'm not sure if Panacur is available but I'll check around. Is it in liquid or powder/crystal form? Knowing the dosage would be reassuring, especially with fry.
    You already have them, Panacur is Fenbendazole. http://www.calvetsupply.com/search.asp?7=PANACUR&1=Go
    Now as whether Pancur prevents camellanus,I can not say for sure.I do know that I haven't seen a camellanus worm since,nor are my mosses,or water sprite brown.
    Fenbendazole isn’t as effective as Levamisole, I had never successfully cure a fish Fenbendazole. (perhaps the wrong dosage)

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention that Panacur is a manufacturer's name for a composition containing Fenbendazole as its active ingredient. Just like Panadol is a manufacturer's name for a composition containing paracetmol (i can't remember clearly).

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List