Country
    Singapore

Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys(locally),

A show of hand how many of you are still breeding the above mentioned fish? I found mine degrading in it's colouration. Too much in-breeding I guess. As this is suppose to be our 'mascot' killi, it should always be available to all newbies(Actually I personally find it not the easiest to start off with). I don't distribute this fish any more though I still have some eggs in peat. Guess it's time to bring in new blood.

Need your thoughts- Is it alright to let go these 'not so beautiful' fish under the name of 'aquarium strain' for newbies to have their hands on?

I started off 'aquarium strain' killies like the australes. I'm currently working on some species with location code(one species turned out to be all males ), so meanwhile I don't have anything to offer.

Gan.

hi

i have notho. rachovii beira '98 too ... at the moment eggs in peat - 3 portion. i must wet them in april and may. if you are looking for new killis take a look to my breederlist. it´s on my website http://www.killifische.at. it is in german so go to the menue "züchter" ... there you can find some breeders and their lists ...

greets
    markus

Feedback Score

Re: Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98

Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    Need your thoughts- Is it alright to let go these 'not so beautiful' fish under the name of 'aquarium strain' for newbies to have their hands on?
    Hi Gan,

I am very new into killies too and I do have the above-mentioned breed. I do agree with you that most newbie like us start with the rachoviis and to date, I have many other species and I think they are all very beautiful.

I think it’s unfair to use the “not so beautiful” term on the rachoviis because even there are too much in-breeding, they are still very beautiful to me .. :wink:
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    I think it’s unfair to use the “not so beautiful” term on the rachoviis because even there are too much in-breeding, they are still very beautiful to me .. :wink:
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess :smile:. But I think the first few generations of Notho rachovii were more beautiful than those I see now. Inbreeding is probably the cause. Other than getting in some new genes, I don't know how we can solve this problem.

Here's a pic of my very first rachovii. It was taken with a cheap camera but the beauty of the fish is undeniable.

I would have lost this picture when my computer crashed a while ago but fortunately, this pic was uploaded to a web site I created about 2 years ago.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by joker
    if you are looking for new killis take a look to my breederlist..
    Hi Markus,

I don't understand german. However, I can roughly figure out some nice species you guys have :wink: . Can you private message me of the species you have which I can buy from you?

Guys,

It's there any way to translate Markus's website to English? Thank you.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,

It's there any way to translate Markus's website to English? Thank you.

Gan.
    The Babelfish usually do a good enough job. Those who know where this fish came from, hands up please :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Those who know where this fish came from, hands up please :wink:
    Choy, are you referring to the Notho rachovii? The collection code "Beira" should tell you where it's from. WE had a short discussion about this recently and someone pointed out that Beira is a town somewhere in Mozambique, Africa.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Those who know where this fish came from, hands up please :wink:
    Choy, are you referring to the Notho rachovii?

Loh K L
    Nah, who knows where the Babelfish is from?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy, thank you for the direction. Now I can understand german :wink: .

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It will also do Japanese now you can go read RVA's website :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan,
    I have 3 tanks full of Rachovii (any taker?) The colour of the rachovii from 1 of tank is much striking than the rest. The reason is partly because this tank is select for breeding. I'm will try to experiment with my theory that Rachovii in this tank (outdoor) brings out better coloration that the other two. The other 2 tanks are in my Living room away from the window.

Do not expect instant change in their colour if you will to put them at the balcony. The change will be very gradual.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably been ages since this post re-appeared. Anyway, I took some fresh images of the RAC Beira 98 in my possession. Thanks to Andrew for raising them and to Ron for having babysitted them for me for the past 2 days. Also a big thanks to Kenny for having passed the initial eggs to Andrew. Brought home 6 males and 1 lone female. Keeping the 2 largest and nicest males with the female for breeding and the rest are in a separate tank. Very greedy fellas. Immediately whacked the tubifex just seconds after introduction to their new setups.

Colours not fully out yet, probably still stressed but they were damn beautiful when I was scooping them out of a holding container.

Oddly enough, these critters are my very first rachovii in the time that I've been keeping killies. A milestone for me at least.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Brought home 6 males and 1 lone female
    Only one female??... think I need to revise my prescribed lenses.

Jian Yang, I have a bunch of RAC that's female heavy. Let these grow and fatten up first, then I'll give ya a holler.

Gan, I now hold 2 pairs from Andrew and a brood of 2cm juvenile (both of the same line). If you need to cross and renew the gene pool, let me know.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Gan, I now hold 2 pairs...
    Ron, my RAC had long turned to ashes. Strange to read such an old tread that JY had dug out. Thanks for the offer, never like notho any more.. In fact, too busy for killies lately. Did I lose the bet?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's an old thread but the Nothobranchius rachovii is still one of my favourite Killifish. I remember the first time I saw a N. rachovii in one of Ronnie's tanks, I was so smitten with the fish. The colours are absolutely brilliant. I don't have any adults at the moment but I hatched out some eggs last week and there were about 55 fry. They grow fast so I should have plenty of adults to distribute around in a few weeks' time.

I find it's easier with the Nothos. For one thing, our warm weather doesn't seem to trouble them.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange to read such an old tread that JY had dug out
    Good grief! I hadn't realize how old the thread was until you mentioned it but I'm sure you're glad to have lost the bet. I won't claim the wager now but will take a raincheck until I have available tank space.

The Beira 98 and the Simp magnificus were the first 2 annuals that graced my tanks during the early killie keeping days but the RACs broke my heart when I lost tankfuls of of colored-up young adults. Velvet was something I didn't know how to treat effectively but from then on, I'm mostly a 'non-annual' keeper.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The lure of the annuals is too strong..

Besides, the RAC is a wonderful species.. Hmm.. probably time for MOZ 99/3s? The Beira are spawning as I'm typing this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried the RAC MOZ99/3 and MOZ99/9. These 2 strains are more difficult as compare to B98. I like the MOX99/9 more as the fish have more intense colour as compare to MOZ99/3.

I still have some eggs of the MOZ99/3 after the pair finally decided to leave the earth for Wonderland..

Both the MOZ99/3 and MOZ99/9 are black in colour and do not have the strond orange colour like the B98.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The RAC Beira 98 is also my favourite Notho too. I think Kwek Leong aptly chose this fish as the fish to front this website.

Although this wasn't my first beginner killie (that title belonged to the N. guentheri Zanzibar), I told myself that I must have them. So, I went on to Aquabid and bought myself a bag of 50 eggs.

Strangely, that bag yielded only 2 normal frys, while 20 odd of them turned out to be belly sliders. Unfortunately, the frys grew up to be females.

Luckily for me, Au was kind enough to pass me a male, and the trio gave me some spawns before the male went belly up too. But that was enough to produce eggs, which subsequently gave me so many frys that I manage to start 2 spawning groups of 3 males and 5 females each, and plenty more to flood my neighbour's tank and Ronnie's tub. These spawning groups are producing an average of 150 eggs every week each.

Thanks to Andrew too, who bought some eggs from me, and now that the adults have been passed on to Jian Yang and Ronnie.

Hopefully, this strain will not disappear locally, as it is still, IMO, the one Notho that rules them all!

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Au, I understand the difference between MOZ 99/3 and 99/9 is that one has an orange crescent in the tail and the other does not. Am I right? I find them quite appealing actually.

On another note, has anyone kept the RAC Nhangau MT 03-4? Its of a collection by Filipe Torre.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast