Thread: Anubias petite

Feedback Score

Anubias petite

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,
    I just wanted to pick all your brains about anubias petite. I bought some not long ago and would like to know what are the best growing conditions for it. At the moment its in the substrate and its growing new leaves but the roots do not seem to grow too big. Ideally I want to tie it to a bit of drift wood so it would be near the lights - does it like high light? If anyone can share any information about this plant or knows where I can obtain it i would love to know.
    Cheers
    Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

honestly, I've no experience with anubias petite nor even seen the plant before. It may however be similar to anubias nanas, which is also a dwarf version of the larger anubias.

As far as I know, the anubias nanas grows better when tied to a driftwood. When planted in the substrate, the roots tend to rot. It is possible to grow in substrate, though you will have to take the chance. I think it is a low light plant.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony,

Like cheeboonyong mentioned, Anubias is a low light plant/slow grower and slow growers generally does not need much light. In most cases, exposing it to high light would encourage faster growth but the chances of getting spot algae on their leafs are also increased.

In my latest setup, I have the narrow leaf nanas in my tank, tied to drift wood branches, and they took 2 weeks to show new roots, just 3~4 strenches, which were soon adhered to the wood. Those placed under the shade of higher plants grow healthier (the leafs are clean of spot algae) than those under direct light.

I guess your concern is the floating of this plant due short roots. You need patience for the first weeks, once the plant is comfortable to your tank's conditions, it should thrive. However, they are best presented when mounted on wood which provide the right contrasts and it is a delight to see that they blend well with each other that could be well justified as tank's focal point. I will post some picture when I have time, sometime next week.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony,

Ok, see pics.

I just trimmed the Macrandra 2 days back, they will have much more mass (about 3 times bushier) and hover above the Nanas in 2 week's time.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Cheers for the replies. Freddy, your pictures show exactly what I wanted to do with my anubias nana petite - except mine is a little closer to the lights. My concerns were that the roots did not show much signs of growth while they were in the substrate so would it be a good idea to tie them to a bit of driftwood? Secondly, being so close to the lights would this be a bad thing and stunt the growth. Anyway I've tied them on to the driftwood now with cable ties. I've placed half on top of the wood and half in a more shaded area - I will see where they grow best and move as appropriate.
    Cheers
    Tony

Placing the Anubias sp. 'Petite' under high light will not stunt it.

When a plant is classified as "low-light", it means the plant can survive under low-light. It does not mean that the plant requires low light. In fact, many "low-light" plants performs much better under higher light levels.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by caseSENSITIVE
    When a plant is classified as "low-light", it means the plant can survive under low-light. It does not mean that the plant requires low light.
    Fact that I'm unable to rig lighting units for my tanks restricts me to 'low-light' plants and they serve their purpose well. My anubias nanas and barteri rooted better after I tried a very light dose of 'rooting hormone' (it doesn't say anything about the ingredients but I'll post a pic when I can).

I recall my old setup which had 2 x 150w MH and the leaves were constantly plagued with spot algae, until I started shading them. Could you elaborate how or why 'low-light' plants can do better with higher light?

Presently, I have a 6 gal plastic tank with lotsa crypts, a large bunch of bolbitis and val. torta (I think). The tank is located at the lowest shelf of my killie rack and hardly receives any light, no CO2 and even has a 2 outlet UGF... however, compared to my other tanks with better ambient lighting, it has the nicest and healthiest group of plants!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tony,

Wondering where you got your anubias petite from? I have been looking for it for quite a while and would like to get my hands on it..

Thanks.

Albert

Feedback Score
    Wondering where you got your anubias petite from? I have been looking for it for quite a while and would like to get my hands on it..
    Albert, we have a number of foreign members here. I would like recommend the members to fill in their particulars (Country or Location). Please check Tony’s profile, his location is clearly stated there. He is from UK, so I would assume that he got his anubias petite from UK or some web order based in Europe.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I aplogise for my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    My concerns were that the roots did not show much signs of growth while they were in the substrate so would it be a good idea to tie them to a bit of driftwood? Secondly, being so close to the lights would this be a bad thing and stunt the growth.
    I have never tried growing Anubias on substrate, I think it works too. Having said that, based on the root's form, it seems to prefer to be grown on solid surface. For that I mean, the roots have the inclination to hug/clinch on large surfaces.

I do not think that high light would stunt the growth nor does it helps in growing them better. Perhaps, it's your tank's water condition that is the culprit. By the way, what is your tank's size, what type of light and how many watts are there in total?

Ronnie,

I used your method of mounting the Anubias - using cable tie - and it works.

Sia Meng,

Thanks for the comments.

Albert,

Thanks for the good spirit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried growing Anubias on substrate and I encountered a problem. The roots of the Anubias are thick and hard and although it would seem that it is easier for thick and hard roots to penetrate the gravel, the truth is it isn't so. The problem I had was that instead of growing into the gravel, the roots of the Anubias lifted the stem up. Imagine the plant doing push-ups and you will know what I mean.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Freddy,
    In reply to your questions, my tank holds 250l and has 180watts of light. I do not think it's the tanks water conditions as everything else from moss to eusterallis is growing fine. I think maybe my fault is not enough patience but as I have just moved all the anubias to the driftwood I can monitor its growth more successfully.

Loh K L - I liked your analogy of the anubias doing push-ups, my anubias was doing just that but I had thought it looked like ant legs (hope thats not just my imagination running wild!)

I find cable ties very useful, I first used them to tie my narrow leaf java fern to driftwood - much less fiddly than trying to tie them on and you can remove the cable tie once the plant is established.

Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tony, I have grown Anubias nana successfully on both types of substrates-normal aquarium gravels' diameter sized 2-3mm and ADA Aquasoil. This plant is a slow growing plant so you need to have patience. Give it at least 3 to 4 months and you will be surprised once the nana gets used to the tank environment.

The only thing you need to watch out for is the dreadful brown algae. This algae can smother the whole plant in no time and causes the plant to wilt as it is unable to carry out photosynthesis. I lost my entire collection of Anubias in this way about 3 months ago. All the leaves would turn yellow and start to fall off followed by rotting of roots. It was a heartache to see the plants dying especially many of them had grown to the size of my palm.

Regards,
    Jason Wong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I've tried growing Anubias on substrate and I encountered a problem. The roots of the Anubias are thick and hard and although it would seem that it is easier for thick and hard roots to penetrate the gravel, the truth is it isn't so. The problem I had was that instead of growing into the gravel, the roots of the Anubias lifted the stem up. Imagine the plant doing push-ups and you will know what I mean.

Loh K L
    Kwek Leong, I've one small group of nanas that's cable-tied to a longish piece of rock (slate?) lying on the bottom. The main thick roots managed to penetrate the Lonestar gravel and the finer roots later 'bonded'* to the gravel.

Another small group of nanas were grown in the substrate with UGF plate and it seems like anubias' prefer water circulation around their roots.
    * What's the correct word here? Stick, fused or ?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,
    Perhaps adhere or attach would sound better.Fuse means to melt togather.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Deb, some of my brain cells don't co-operate at 4 in the morning
    Ronnie Lee