Images
    Country
    Singapore

Water Incubation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently my pair of BIT "Lagos" gave me several good eggs, some of which I placed in separate plastic containers. Some were just placed in plain aged water with nothing else while others where placed in aged water with a little bit of methylene blue added. Those in just aged water fungused pretty rapidly after a few days while those in aged water + methylene blue developed and hatched after 10 days of incubation.

Bad news is the resultant fry that hatched died pretty quickly when left in the container. Could it be that the methylene blue killed them I'm quite perplexed and would like some opinions on this matter.

Apart from the deaths of the Lagos frys, I've had a pretty good hatch with my constanciae eggs. 13 viable fry being fed with microworms and daphnia, and several belly sliders which I didn't collect. The peat from my fulminantis yielded just 1 fry. Odd results but I didn't expect large numbers of fry. :P
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Stormhawk,
    I always remove the fry from the egg container water.When one uses a drug it
    kills good and bad bacteria,so more than likely the ammonia builds up,
    which maybe killing your fry.
    I have never tested the water of the egg container,so I maybe wrong.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    I guess the reasons for using methylene blue is to prevent eggs fungus. What you can do, is removed the eggs immediately once you see sign of development and place them in water without additives. Once the eggs show signs of development, you are safe; you don’t need any additives from then on.

As for me I don’t usually use chemicals/drugs, I had hatch quite a number of non annuals eggs with just tap water and a small piece sea almond leaf (about the size of Singapore Fifty Cents coin).

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the replies Debra and Sia Meng. I'll keep that in mind the next time my Lagos give me some eggs. They're pretty stingy nowadays.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.