Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    If any of you are really keen and willling to take half day off on Friday, I can try and see if I can get a few seats for you.
    Gan,

I should be free to attend the talk and I would appreciate it very much if you can get me a ticket. I intend to bring some of the mosses from my tanks for Mr Benito Tan to identify and clear up, once and for all, the mystery surrounding the names of the mosses. If there's anyone who can identify them, it should be Mr Benito.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am a sleeping NSS member I'm not sure if Dr Benito Tan would be very tickled to see commercial interest in mosses. There is always a potential that people will go out and strip the place clean of mosses

Alternatively it could be very interesting if hobbyist and researchers work together. For example I am quite sure that many of the mosses found in cloud forest would adapt well to aquatic conditions, given the high levels of precipitation in its natural environment. We could help to try cultivating some of these mosses and see if they do well in aquarium. The reason we should work together is that we wouldn't want to reveal where the mosses are collected (I can think of the highlands and peaks in Pahang and Mt Kinabalu).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

Speaking of adaptation, I found some mosses this morning that look very much like the Christmas Moss grown submersed. The heavy shower yesterday washed off a lot of mud so most of the moss I saw yesterday were covered with debris but the rain also exposed some moss which has faint triangular shapes. Here's a pic:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    'Moss man' of S'pore gets top award

NUS scientist Benito Tan is the first in Asia to receive the prestigious Richard Spruce Award, for his work on mosses in the region

By Chang Ai-Lien

SMALL is beautiful to scientist Benito Tan, 52, who has spent most of his life studying Earth's simplest and most ancient plants - mosses.

Brylogist Tan has three species named after him.

The lifelong obsession with moss paid off for the National University of Singapore (NUS) don earlier this month, when he was awarded one of the most prestigious awards given out in the field, the Richard Spruce Award.

The award was given in recognition of his important contributions to bryology - the study of mosses, liverworts, and hornworts - while he was in Venezuela attending a meeting of botanists.

It came as a total surprise to him.

Said Associate Professor Tan: 'I was overwhelmed when I heard my name being called because this means international recognition of my research contributions in bryology.'

Along with a plaque, the award - given by the International Association of Bryologists, which has about 600 members worldwide - included an invitation to give a special lecture at the next bryological world congress in Vienna next year.

Prof Tan, who is from NUS' department of biological sciences, is the fourth recipient of the award in 10 years, but the first from Asia.

During the award presentation on Jan 15, the association's president, Dr Robert Gradstein, who is from Germany, said that Prof Tan was recognised for the 25 years he has spent documenting the diversity of Asian mosses.

He also praised him for identifying 'hot spots' in the region where mosses proliferate, and for his efforts in campaigning for the protection of such areas.

Although he has been called crazy because of his passion for mosses, Prof Tan, who has three species of mosses and liverworts in the region named after him, says that his interest is not purely academic.

Such plants, he says, contain special compounds that can be found nowhere else.

And although these have not been well studied, they could one day be made into drugs to treat diseases.

German scientists, for example, have found that some moss extracts can kill fungi more effectively than commercial fungicides.

Other studies found that peat moss apparently stimulates pigs to feed and grow.

Prof Tan has also compiled online databases on regional moss species and endangered species elsewhere.

Just this month, he and two of his students discovered two new moss species here.

One of only a handful of such experts in South-east Asia, he has braved everything from tribal wars and broken bones to close encounters with snakes and other dangerous forest creatures during his travels to some of the most remote spots in Asia.

His unceasing hunt for new species has taken him to places such as Eastern Siberia, Vietnam, China and Papua New Guinea.

'Rather than just following trends of what's 'hot' in the research world, it pays for a scientist to be committed to one field of study, although it may not seem glamorous at the time,' said Prof Tan.

'In the end, bits of information accumulated over the years will build up a big picture that has important implications.'

There are about 18,000 species of bryophytes, which reproduce using spores rather than seeds, worldwide.

About 2,000 of them can be found in the region.

Mosses play a major role in the forest ecosystem, as many animals and insects rely on them for food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I am a sleeping NSS member I'm not sure if Dr Benito Tan would be very tickled to see commercial interest in mosses. There is always a potential that people will go out and strip the place clean of mosses

Alternatively it could be very interesting if hobbyist and researchers work together. For example I am quite sure that many of the mosses found in cloud forest would adapt well to aquatic conditions, given the high levels of precipitation in its natural environment. We could help to try cultivating some of these mosses and see if they do well in aquarium. The reason we should work together is that we wouldn't want to reveal where the mosses are collected (I can think of the highlands and peaks in Pahang and Mt Kinabalu).
    I have checked with Dr Tan and he said the talk is open to public ! and he will have some very nice closeup photo of mosses.

He is very keen to look at our mosses but not during the talk. I will make arrangement with him and revert to you guys once I confirm a date with him. It will be on a Saturday morning at NUS.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kinabalu).
    On the contrary, he has a student doing a study of the trade of mosses and ferns in Singapore ! Knowing what is being traded is the first step towards conservation. With that info, he can potentially work on a project to make growing those mosses commercially viable and who knows maybe we can play a part in it ;-)

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it would be great as he could provide us samples of mosses from the cloud forest :wink:

So you'd arrange a private discussion with him?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it would be great as he could provide us samples of mosses from the cloud forest :wink:

So you'd arrange a private discussion with him?
    I am sure we can work out something with him ;-) I look forward to see his collection of mossess. He is very keen to see our aquatic mosses as he has only heard of 'Javan Moss' I am sure he has seen them but not by the name of Christmas/Erect/Mini/Willow/Taiwan Moss

Yes, I will be arranging a private session with him. KL has indicated he is keen. Anyone else interested in meeting Dr Tan ?

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    count me in. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not qualified to meet him as my mosses are in bad shape.
    You can slot me in the last of the queue, if there is still a vancany.

KL, Gan, Choy.. etc :
    Pls try to get some new species of mosses for our aquariums.
    We can help him to propagate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    KL, Gan, Choy.. etc :
    Pls try to get some new species of mosses for our aquariums.
    We can help him to propagate.
    Kim Cheng, I don't know if it is a good idea to ask Dr Tan for new species of mosses as it would be the first time we are meeting him. My priority is to ask him for help in identifying several mosses I have in my tanks, namely, Christmas, Erect, Willow and a new one I got recently that goes by the name of "pope moss". I'm also keen to find out if the so called "HDB/Bukit Timah" moss that you and Choy found is the same plant as the Christmas Moss. I collected a few specimens of wild moss yesterday and I intend to show them to Dr Tan together with the other mosses that are growing submersed in my tanks. The correct scientific names of the various mosses should be of great interest to many planted tank hobbyists.

Sia Meng also raised a very interesting question about how we can use moss extract to kill fungi, a point that was mentioned by Dr Tan himself in his interview with the press. This should be very interesting information to killifish breeders as fungi is one of our greatest enemy.

Gan, I will be delighted to meet Dr Tan at any time at his convenience. If it's going to be on a Saturday morning, it will mean that I have to apply for annual leave. I wouldn't mind using up a precious day of my leave if I get to meet the man personally. It will be an honour and a great pleasure. Thanks for helping out with the arrangements. I hope we are not putting you through too much trouble.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Since we we talking about moss, how is the growth rate of erect moss and also, can ity survive under high light + cool water?

Tks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lincoln,

We had a discussion about this recently and you can find the thread here:

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtop...?t=248&start=0

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wo... I didn't know, talking about moss would go this far... very interesting... if the talk is in NUS and if I am free that day would surely like to join...will try bring some of the moss I found near my estate..
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Gan, I will be delighted to meet Dr Tan at any time at his convenience. If it's going to be on a Saturday morning, it will mean that I have to apply for annual leave. I wouldn't mind using up a precious day of my leave if I get to meet the man personally. It will be an honour and a great pleasure. Thanks for helping out with the arrangements. I hope we are not putting you through too much trouble.

Loh K L
    KL,
    No problem. I am looking forward to meeting the man as well.
    The date will probably be the Sat after the talk. Will advice once I get a confirmation from him.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Rashid
    Wo... I didn't talk about moss would go this far... very interesting... if the talk is in NUS and if I am free that day would surely like to join...will try bring some of the moss I found near my estate..
    The talk is at Singapore Botanical Garden

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

this is my 1st posting. Just want to thank everyone who has posted in this forum for making this one of the most informed and educational aquatic forums around (especially on mosses and killies).

This may be stale news; but through the pictures that have been posted here, I've found what I think is mosses at my school in Tampines as well ( can't reveal the name of the school for security reasons; sorry) .

Will try to take some pictures of them and post them here so that everyone can compare... Really looking forward to reading the outcome of the meeting between the moss experts, so watch this space! :wink:

Wei Leong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan C W who had problems posting messages to this forum sent me this email which should be of interest to those who want to meet Dr Tan.

Hi KL,

Is there something wrong with the forum, I am unable to post an entry. Clicking on new topic, reply or quote brings me back to the forum homne page.

Just want to inform you that the meeting with Dr Tan has been confirmed for 7th Feb 10am so that you can apply for leave.

Dr Tan will advice the loction of his lab later.

Thanks, Gan. I will definitely be there to meet Dr Tan. I will be bringing many samples of mosses for him to identify. I believe it may take him some time to study the mosses and find out their scientific names so I will be packing them separately in small plastic bags and I will mark the samples clearly. I hope Dr Tan will clear up the mystery if Christmas, Taiwan, Mini, Bukit Timah and HDB moss are actually one and the same plant. Personally, I do believe the first 3 are the same. They appear different only because they were grown under different conditions.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Teck Song sent me this private message and I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by ts168
    HI Mr Loh,

Saw you guys talk alot of mosses lately, not sure if u have really see n feel taiwan moss.
    there is a shop at amk ave 10, this guy has taiwan moss brough in my a friend from taiwan and i was there that day and see him tied it to the wood. That was about 2 mth back and it has grown until he has cut some out.

Look very same as xmass moss if both are growing very well in the tank but the different is the texture of the feel of both plant.

If you keen, maybe u can drop by and take a look at it.

Also the unknown moss that i posted a mth back also come from his shop. up now i have not seen him sold it but could find afew bits in some of the tanks.

the address:
    Blk443 Ang Mo Kio Ave10.

Think the shop name is Mermaid ...

Just to share with u. Since you are going to get some update on mosses.
    And with your experience i believe that many of us will gain much more precious true info soon.

Cheers.
    TS
    Thanks for the tip, Teck Song. I was at the shop a few hours ago and they definitely have many different types of mosses. I chatted with the shop owner for a while and he's a nice guy. I also bought some of his "Taiwan Moss". To tell the truth, I feel the pinch very badly whenever I have to pay for mosses. Over the years, I have given away so many kilograms of mosses it hurts like hell when I have to pay for them. But for the sake of clearing up the mystery about mosses' names, I guess the money I paid was worth it. Here's a pic of the Taiwan Moss I bought:

As Teck Song said, the texture of the moss seems to be different. It feels a lot softer than the Christmas Moss I have in my tanks. The triangular shapes seem similar to the Christmas but the fronds are shorter. I think the texture and the shorter fronds are due to different growing conditions. I'm quite sure this is the same as Christmas and I will be bringing some of it to Dr Tan to identify. I will also tie this Taiwan Moss to driftwood and grow them in my tank that has the Christmas Moss Wall. I do believe, that when they are grown in the same tank, they will, over time, look exactly the same.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnut
    this is my 1st posting. Just want to thank everyone who has posted in this forum for making this one of the most informed and educational aquatic forums around.

Wei Leong
    Wei Leong, welcome to the discussion. I'm glad you decided to move out from lurking mode and make a post. We know that quite a few people lurk in this forum and we hope they will join in the discussions whenever they can. Everyone has something to offer, even if they are new to the hobby. If Teck Song had not told me about the Taiwan Moss available in the fish shop in Ang Mo Kio, I wouldn't have known about it.

We'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures of the moss you found in your school. If you have problems posting them to the forum, send them to me through private email and I will upload them for you.

Loh K L

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast