Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks KL for posting on my behalf. Not sure why I couldn't post earlier.

I took a walk around my place today and saw lots of mosses all over the palce.

I saw 3 different type of mosses :

1. This is the common one growing all over the place and looks like Christmas/Taiwan moss when grown submersed.

2. I am not sure if this is a moss but it grows in damp places.

3.This one looks very different and is only found at one particular location. Also not sure if it is a moss.

This is how they look like side by side :

Anyway I am going to try growing them submersed and see how they look like. Can't wait for the expert to unravel the mystery

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the pics, Gan. The mosses look like the same ones I saw somewhere around the Bukit Merah area, at Telok Blangah Park, to be exact.

If it's not too much trouble, please bring some samples along with you when we meet Dr Tan. I will bring those that are growing submersed in my tanks while you can bring those in your pictures. How about that?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tip, Teck Song. I was at the shop a few hours ago and they definitely have many different types of mosses. I chatted with the shop owner for a while and he's a nice guy. I also bought some of his "Taiwan Moss". To tell the truth, I feel the pinch very badly whenever I have to pay for mosses. Over the years, I have given away so many kilograms of mosses it hurts like hell when I have to pay for them. But for the sake of clearing up the mystery about mosses' names, I guess the money I paid was worth it. Here's a pic of the Taiwan Moss I bought:

As Teck Song said, the texture of the moss seems to be different. It feels a lot softer than the Christmas Moss I have in my tanks. The triangular shapes seem similar to the Christmas but the fronds are shorter. I think the texture and the shorter fronds are due to different growing conditions. I'm quite sure this is the same as Christmas and I will be bringing some of it to Dr Tan to identify. I will also tie this Taiwan Moss to driftwood and grow them in my tank that has the Christmas Moss Wall. I do believe, that when they are grown in the same tank, they will, over time, look exactly the same.

Loh K L
    Mr Loh you are fast, You are a lucky guy that he sold to you. By the way, he is the only owner of the shop. I visit his shop so often that i have nearly know in n out of his shop. hehe. But i am a poor customer of his.

I did not buy his Taiwan moss afew day back as i felt i will not have the capability to grow it at current environment which i have.

So will you also check the moss that i posted the last time? Love to know what moss is that.

I also lucky to have a feel of the taiwan moss sometime back and have seen it grow up from a small patch on the drift good. hehe.

Cheers.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Thanks for the pics, Gan. The mosses look like the same ones I saw somewhere around the Bukit Merah area, at Telok Blangah Park, to be exact.

If it's not too much trouble, please bring some samples along with you when we meet Dr Tan. I will bring those that are growing submersed in my tanks while you can bring those in your pictures. How about that?

Loh K L
    Will do.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Loh, I salute you for taking so much effort to clear up the names of these beautiful mosses. Please post the results of your meeting with Dr Tan and share the knowledge with the rest of us members.

Can you help everyone here to find out whether Lincoln's plant is really moss and what species?

Regards,
    Jason Wong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wks
    Can you help everyone here to find out whether Lincoln's plant is really moss and what species?
    Jason, I think the plant Lincoln found is a moss and not a liverwort but if you really want to know what's the difference between the 2, check out:

http://www.kaimaibush.co.nz/Bryophyt..._frameset.html

When I meet Dr Tan, my first priority is to ask him for help in identifying the aquatic mosses that we are growing in our tanks. Identifying mosses that we find growing emersed everywhere in Singapore is second priority because chances are Dr Tan already knows of the existence of such mosses and have studied them in detail. The article in the Straits Times mentioned that in his search for mosses, Dr Tan travels to hot spots around this region. I believe chances are he would be familiar with the mosses found in Singapore but maybe he haven't looked in the fish shops yet

I would definitely post the details of my meeting with Dr Tan but I think it will take a while before he can give us definite answers. As far as I know, it's not easy to identify mosses, even for a bryologist. Sometimes, the only way to identify a moss accurately is to split its capsules and examine the spores under a microscope.

I don't know if any of you read the Chinese papers but there's an article today that mentioned Dr Tan and his work on mosses. According to the article, there are something like more than 90 different species of mosses in Singapore alone. And in Malaysia, the number is even higher.

So it looks like we are only beginning to scratch the surface.

Loh K L

canister

Are you talking about canister or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for canister perhaps!
    Also,you can find some other content on it,such as praia da oura or immobilier yvelines or emergency medical services.
    You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123