Thread: Hexamita

Feedback Score

Hexamita

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    To all,
    I was reading in the JAKA(a journal of the AKA),an article by Charles Harrison on Eradicating Hydra and Other pest with
    Flubendazole.It was very interesting! There was one thought that flubendazole also killed Hexamita,also known as the "wasting
    disease".I believe Discus lovers call it Hole in the Head.It went on to say that Charles had three afflicted fish,which he separated.In one tank he put in Flubendazole,the other none.He started to feed baby brineshrimp over a period of three days.At the end of the week the fish in flubendazole was eating and gaining weight.The other fish were still spitting out their food. He, then took one of the killies not eating, examined the gut of the fish under a mircoscope.There Charles find squirming protozoa in the esophagus.
    Now that got my curiousity up! I wonder what these little guys are and what did they look like.Now I am sure most of you probably all ready know what these guys are. But for a few who do not, here is what I found.
    The Hexamita is a single cell organism,protozoa,a very small eight hair flagellate, whose length is appromimately 7 to 13 microns.They invade the gall bladder and the intestines.
    The symptons of Hexamita: white thread like feces that adhere to the fish for a long tome, weight loss,refusal of food and decreased activity.
    Treatments that were to be given were to be taken by putting Flagyl in their food, which didn't help if the fish wasn't eating.If that was case, Flagyl was to be squirted down the throat.( sounds like alot of fun!!) Flubendazole will sure make treating a whole lot easier,as it is apparently absorpted by the skin.
    Now I wonder if fenbendazole will work,beings it is very close in ingredients,and also kills Hydra as the flubendazole...
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Debra,

I'm a bit confused. Is fenbendazole different from flubendazole? I've only heard of the latter and as it is, it's so difficult and expensive to obtain this drug in Singapore.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Loh,
    Flubendazole and Fenbendazole are two benzimidazoles.There are eight classes of benzimidazoles(which is a antinematodal),
    The mechanism of action of benzimidazoles is not clearly delineated and may differ from one member of the group to another.
    Does this add to your confusion?
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    Does this add to your confusion?
    I was a bit confused before your explanation but now I'm a lot confused

But seriously, thanks for the explanation, Debra. On the subject of worms, I wonder what is the name of the medication our mothers used to deworm us when we were young. The younger members here may not realise this but in the old days, when everyone was poor, we all had worms in our intestines too. And they were huge Thank goodness hygiene standards have impoved a lot or I would probably have to deworm my 2 daughters, just like the way my mother deworm me when I was a kid

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thank goodness hygiene standards have impoved a lot or I would probably have to deworm my 2 daughters, just like the way my mother deworm me when I was a kid
    I agree!! Mom had to worm us also.Growing up with animals we would get the pin worms.With all the wormers for animals available,with the hygiene strandards,my children have not had those.I sure am glad for my youngest likes, to kiss the dogs!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes those were the days. I had worms too when I was a kid. Remembered going to the doctor's for deworming medications and she gave me this odd pink coloured pill. Pretty large but it worked like a charm. Wonder if that is flubendazole?

Anyway, just a quick question, is it OK to dose flubendazole in fry raising containers? I've got some tiny white oligochaete worms in the plastic containers that I'm raising my fulminantis and constanciae fry in. Wonder if flubendazole kills these white worms along with other parasites in the container.. that is, if they're present in the first place.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Stormhawk,
    I would give it a try. Do a water change before dosing.I use fenbendazole on small fry with no harm done.Please, write and tell us, how it turns out!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Yes those were the days. I had worms too when I was a kid. Remembered going to the doctor's for deworming medications and she gave me this odd pink coloured pill. Pretty large but it worked like a charm. Wonder if that is flubendazole?
    More likely to be Albendazole, which is a methyl [5-(propylthio)-1H-benzimidazol-2-y1] carbamate compound* found in off-the-counter dewormer products like Zentel, for treating whipworm, roundworm, hookworm, pinworm and threadworm (whipworm being the most difficult to treat).
    *as read off the box! :wink:

Anyway, just a quick question, is it OK to dose flubendazole in fry raising containers? I've got some tiny white oligochaete worms in the plastic containers that I'm raising my fulminantis and constanciae fry in. Wonder if flubendazole kills these white worms along with other parasites in the container.. that is, if they're present in the first place.
    JianYang, I concur with Deb's experience but with flubendazole, not fenbendazole. These little worms, together with planaria, are quite harmless... just a sign of poor husbandry and sporadic water changes (I'm guilty for such slack as well ).

Flubendazole will not harm fry but besides those nematode related worms, any snails present in the treated tank will also die and spike up ammonium ... so do make sure you followup with water changes.

Why not keep things simple for now... stir up the java moss, do a water change and make more observations before commencing treatment.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do a water change once every 2 days after a big feeding with live daphnias. So far no casualties but it seems that I have 2 slow-growers. I think these 2 are gonna be the runts in the lot so I think I can bet on getting 16 good-sized constanciae fry to adulthood. They're growing really fast and I decided not to dose with anything for the time being.

They're pretty active and I'm planning to move them into a larger circular-base container once they get past the 1cm mark. The largest fry is currently 0.8mm and the smallest is just 0.5mm in size. They hatched out on the morning of 18th Jan 04 together with my single fulminantis fry.

Ronnie, I think live daphnias do the growth job just as well as BBS. Seems that I can stick with daphnias for the time being since I can obtain a regular supply everyday from one of the LFS at Yishun. In fact, every 2 days I'll drop by at that LFS after camp to get some tubifex with daphnias before making my way home.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.