Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Moss Extract - How??

Feedback Score

Moss Extract - How??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is extracted from the “Found some moss growing on land” post in the Plant Tank Sub Forum.

German scientists, for example, have found that some moss extracts can kill fungi more effectively than commercial fungicides.
    I am wondering if it can be used to incubate non annuals eggs. Firstly we must find a way get the moss extract. Any suggestion??

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score

All I could think of.

Ask a German Scientist??
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moss Extract - How??

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    I am wondering if it can be used to incubate non annuals eggs. Firstly we must find a way get the moss extract. Any suggestion??
    Hmm, that's an interesting piece of information. I read the article in the papers and again in the planted tank sub-forum but the sentence about using moss extract to kill fungi didn't strike a chord with me until you highlighted it. Thanks, Sia Meng. You're pretty sharp

If I get to meet Dr Benito, I will try and squeeze him for some information on how to get moss extract from mosses. Alternatively, we can simply put some moss into a blender and grind them into a pulp and see if the pulp helps to kill off fungi. Now that we know mosses can be easily found everywhere in Singapore, getting enough moss shouldn't be a problem. This could be a real breakthrough in the hobby, a new way to incubate killifish eggs successfully.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was so shell-shocked about the things Dr Tan said about the mosses I almost forgot to ask him the question about moss extract.

Anyway, he said he was misquoted in the article. To be exact, he never said anything about moss extract being able to kill fungi; it was the reporter's words from his own research. But Dr Tan did confirm that it's true, the fact that certain mosses produces chemicals that can kill off fungi. Only problem is he does not know which species of mosses they are and where we can find them.

Loh K L