2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another method of non-annual eggs shipped from States

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've recently ordered some eggs of the non-annual group. The eggs are incubate in water and packed in breathing bags! When I received the eggs, most of the eggs had hatched.

Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Au, how are the bags shipped? By courier?

I'm kind of concerned that the more experienced killifish breeders in this forum are moving away from annuals to non-annuals. This is understandable as breeding annuals involves a lot more work. However, if this trend continues, we could end up in a situation where hardly any local hobbyist keeps the species like Nothobranchius and Simpsonichthys anymore. That would be highly regrettable as many species of annuals are very beautiful.

Other than the Notho guentheri's, I myself don't have any other annual killie anymore.

What do you think we can do to stop this trend?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Au SL,
    I was putting eggs in different containers,trying to learn the secret of why the eggs that I ship out so often are reported as nothing in the container but mush or no good eggs.This is often the problem with those eggs that leave the US and are in the container or bags for a week or more. I have found that the eggs do much better in containers with loose fitting lids or no lid at all.The containers with a tight lid the hatch was low with mushy eggs that smushed at a gentle tough of the finger. I think that shipping eggs using breathable bags may be of help.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Au, how are the bags shipped? By courier?
    The eggs were shipping using express mail registered. It took 4 days for the eggs to arrive. The styro box was place in an envelope.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With all the shaking & movement, it's in a way 'force hatching'. So the fry can take all that? I always thought fry can't take much movement.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong,

Two years ago, when I started focusing my attention and resources on non-annuals, there were many others in this forum who were maintaining annuals.

I now see many who've joined the "non-annual camp", to which there's little we can do unless we can organise a 'conservation team' amongst ourselves, much like the AKA's "Core Groups".

Any 'core member' who's giving up the species must hand it over to someone else. (can AKA members in the forum enlighten me as to how this works??)

What I'm about to suggest will mean some work for others! :wink:

Let's say we assign 2 members, or more, to maintaining an annual species, I think we should be able to cover at least 10 species. That ought to relieve the load somewhat.

For myself, I'm maintaining Simp constanciae, with Rivulus xiphidius 'PK 15' and Terranatos dolichopterus 'V96/7' further down the road.

As an aside, there was a tankful of Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98 at our last gathering that didn't receive much interest. If newbies can give this beautiful fish a pass-over, what chances are there of them keeping less-attractive Nothos or Simps?

I would be more concerned about newbies treating killies as a passing fad, a fashion, if you will (since LouHan is no longer the 'in thing').

Comments anyone?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee