Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help needed for glosso and elatine

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there, is there anyone with a vast experience in growing glosso or elatine?

Glosso:
    =======
    Is there a way to make glosso 'kiss' the sand as they creep?

I know that light is an important factor but won't too much light promote algae growth as well?

The glosso in my tank is growing upwards. This could be due to insufficient amount of light I have for my tank (6x25W Arcadia, 9600 Kelvin) of 560 litres. But there are spot and string algae growing on the leaves of the glosso already. (Talk about getting the worst of both worlds)

I've read an article suggesting that one way is to start glosso in very shallow water and when it gets thick, fill the tank with water and plants. Yeah, I know it sounds stupid.

Elatine Triandra:
    =================
    I've tried these twice and the results are always the same, that is, they rot. Is there a fool-proof method in growing them?

Will really appreciate any advise regarding these two plants.

Selwyn

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Selwyn,

Glosso
    Keeping Glosso low has something to do with light and the water condition. However, having high light does not mean glosso would stay low. Based on my observation, glosso seems to favour acidic water - from CO2 & base fertiliser. Planting method and trimming method play an important part too. Plant them individually (cut them into single nodes), trim those that stand up.

For 560 litres and 150watts of light, your light is way too little. You need at least 250 watts. Algae arises mostly from poor nutrient in water and not from too much light. You need to have a good water that has balanced nutrient.

What base fertiliser and water column fertliser are you using?

Eleatine Triandra
    This is a rather undemanding plant. Your case is caused by too little light. Just like most small leafed plants, this plant need at least 0.4 watts of light per litre of water to grow well. You light provides only 0.27 watts per litre.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Selwyn,

Over the years, I have seen many tanks where the Glossostigma elatinoides were growing upright inspite of the fact that the tanks had very high lighting. I'm not technically inclined so I can't tell you if this is due to water parameters but my guess is it has a lot to do with the planting.

To grow Glossos well and make them "kiss" the ground, plant only the green tips. Do not bunch them together but plant them about a fingerspace apart. A pair of tweezers is an essential tool. I think this "planting rule" applies to Elatine triandra too. Freddy Chng gave me quite a lot recently and I planted them into my cube tank. Here are the before and after pics:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks a million guys!!

But erhm............

Freddy :

Glosso

Acidity
    So that means i have to boost my bubble count rate to?

And u mentioned base fertilizer, how can i get an acidic base fertilizer, one that the glosso favours?

Planting method and trimming
    I've planted them individually (cut them into single nodes) and it seems like that is precisely why they are growing upwards. In fact, only some grow up (initially) and bend down to start creeping later (but not really 'kissing' the sand). The rest just grow upwards like any other usual stem plant.

I've read amano's 'Basic setup for a planted aquarium' and it seems that he did not cut them up into individual nodes. Will that make them creep better (instead of growing like a stem plant)?

And can you further elaborate on trimming method?

Btw, my glosso have stopped growing. Is there a reason for that?

Lighting
    For 560 litres and 150watts of light, your light is way too little. You need at least 250 watts. Algae arises mostly from poor nutrient in water and not from too much light. You need to have a good water that has balanced nutrient.

I'm using Dennerle for both.

Elatine Triandra
    So the only factor one needs to take note when growing elatine is light. But what about substrate? Do they thrive better in smaller gravels?

And how did you get the figure of 0.27 watts per litre?

Loh
    So do u cut them up into individual nodes as well? And what do u mean by 'green tip'? A picture of that will be appreciated. :P

About elatine, isn't it bad to cut them because unlike glosso, which can be cut up, elatine tends to rot if too much is cut from a single strand?

And MY GOODNESS!!! U have the most beautiful of elatine!!!! Well, seeing is believing!!!

Selwyn

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tropica has an interesting article on CO2 and that could well explain everything on why some folks can grow glosso in a nice creeping manner where some just can't do it right.

Extracted from Tropica's website
    If we then add a little more CO2 to the system the plant can afford to invest less energy and resources in CO2 uptake and that leaves more energy for optimising the light utilisation
    I'll give you a clue...read the quote and try to understand. The answer to why some folks can grow glosso so well and some can't is in the sentence. Why do you think they need to stretch for the light? Lack of store energy to assimilate light?

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    Acidity
    So that means i have to boost my bubble count rate to?
    And u mentioned base fertilizer, how can i get an acidic base fertilizer, one that the glosso favours?

Planting method and trimming
    I've planted them individually (cut them into single nodes) and it seems like that is precisely why they are growing upwards. In fact, only some grow up (initially) and bend down to start creeping later (but not really 'kissing' the sand). The rest just grow upwards like any other usual stem plant.
    And can you further elaborate on trimming method?
    Btw, my glosso have stopped growing. Is there a reason for that?

Elatine Triandra
    So the only factor one needs to take note when growing elatine is light. But what about substrate? Do they thrive better in smaller gravels?

And how did you get the figure of 0.27 watts per litre?

About elatine, isn't it bad to cut them because unlike glosso, which can be cut up, elatine tends to rot if too much is cut from a single strand?
    Selwyn,

Light
    Firstly, you have to up your light to at least 216 watts (36x6) - about 0.4 watts/litre. This will help perk up the plant. Your present light intensity is 560/(6*25) = 0.27 watts/litre.

The reason for your Glosso's behaviour is purely due to your low light.

Nutrients
    Acid in base fert originated mostly from peat, Dennerle has it but in small but sufficient fraction. I beleive acid (humic, etc) in gravel stimulate root growth, thereby helping the plant's strength. So, you are left with CO2.

Trimming
    Trim all stems above the first leafs on the ground.

Elatine
    You can plant like Glosso, cutting/plant them individually (but not a must to create flat look). Don't be fooled by their frail look, they are tough guys. Small quartz gravel (without sharp edges) is always good for small plants.

Elatine Triandra - looking from the top