Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to make this java moss look better?

How to make this java moss look better?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,
    I ask this question here since it seems there is alot of moss knowledge here. :wink:

My 12 gallon tank has been setup for 1 month now, and I have had the java moss in there for 2 weeks. But after I say your guys moss I realized how bad my moss is. But it is not dying, but it looks the same as I received it in the mail. My question is what do I need to do to make it look better? Do I need to prune, or is it on too thick? I was thinking of getting a few shrimp also, what do you think?

My tank information is:
    12 gallon Eclipse with Bio-Wheel.
    32w CF, and dose daily with Flourish Excel, and weekly with Flourish.
    Bi-weekly 50% water changes.
    6 Serpae Tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 otos, 1 cory cat.

Thanks,
    Brian[/img]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Brian,

welcome to the forum. From your picture, looks like your moss is tied too densely. Try to spread it thinly on the rocks so that it has some breathing space.
    Do you see any light green fronds at the tips of the moss? If yes, the moss is growing. It could also be that your moss was grown emersed and needs time to adapt to growing immersed. Also, 2 weeks is too short a time period to tell whether the moss is growing or not as moss are slow growers. As long as it does not turn brown, just wait for a little while.
    BTW, where are you located?
    Zulkifli

Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions.

How thin should it be, anyone have any pictures of newly tied moss? When I replant it, should I try to pick out the brownish parts?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure if you can see it clearly Here

You can also read up This Thread and This

Basically, you spread out the moss such that the strands are lying side by side on top of the rock, wood etc. Of course, this is easier said than done but I think you get the picture
    Just the leave the brown parts in.
    Zulkifli