Country
    Singapore

The scientific names of the various mosses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Life can be full of irony sometimes. For many years, I was just as curious as the other guy about the scientific names of the various mosses found in our local fish shops. I've always had luck with mosses and over the years, I sent many to hobbyists living all over the world. On various mailing lists like the APD (Aquatic Plants Digest) and on local fish forums like AquaticQuotient, the scientific names of the mosses have always been a mystery. Many hobbyists, some of whom are aquatic plants experts have been trying to find out the scientific names of the Christmas moss to no avail.

I played a part in naming the Christmas and Erect Moss and now, these are generally the accepted common names. To tell the truth, it isn't quite right to just anyhow name a plant as it can lead to a lot of confusion. But heck, since nobody knew the scientific names, I thought it would be better to have a nonsensical common name than no name at all.

I will be meeting Dr Benito Tan tomorrow morning and chances are he will be able to give us the scientific names. After so many years, I thought finally the mystery will be solved. But I was at a fish shop a few hours ago and I picked up a book. It's in Chinese and was published in Taiwan. Shucks, guess what??? I think I found the scientific names!!

I'm not 100 percent sure yet but I think the genus names are correct. Here they are:

1. Christmas Moss is either Cratoneuron filicinum or Cratoneuron commutatum

2. Erect Moss is Homalia trichomanoides

3. The moss that Teck Song has (pic below) is Chiloscyphus sp.

I searched on google and found pictures of mosses that look like Christmas and Erect. It's crazy but these mosses seem to be native to countries like Canada and the US of A. To think that most of the mosses I sent were to hobbyists living in these 2 countries

Anyway, Dr Benito should be the one who can confirmed if the names are correct.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks. now i know it scientific name.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ts168
    thanks. now i know it scientific name.
    Teck Song,

Don't bet on it. I was wrong on many things about the mosses so I could very well be wrong with that name too

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Whats the name of this Taiwanese book and its publisher? Which fish shop did you find the book? I'm looking for aquarium plant books written in Chinese but can't seem to find them in any fish shops locally.

Jason Wong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The book is called Species of Aquatic Plants Book 2. I bought it from the fish shop in Yishun, the one at Block 934 Yishun Central 1.

Loh K L