Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mosses and the men who love them (our meeting with Dr Tan)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    I noticed the capsules in my Taiwan moss (from NA) are fom the emersed leaves and submersed leaves don't have any capsules.
    Cheong Weei,

One of the fish shops I stopped by to buy moss yesterday was NA. I didn't want to name it because it can cause embarrassment to the fish shop owner. However, in this instance, I don't really have much choice. In any case, Mr Chan of NA does not have to be embarrassed about anything. He could be wrong about the common names of his moss but then, who weren't? We were all just as dead wrong too about many things.

The reason I'm naming NA in this post is because Mr Chan himself told me personally that the moss I bought from him is Willow Moss and not Taiwan as you stated. It could be Mr Chan made a mistake or you actually got Taiwan Moss from him as you bought your moss earlier. However, I'm inclined to believe that the Moss NA sells is neither Taiwan nor Willow as we know them. What he has, besides some Erect Moss, is probably the species of Vesicularia that can be found everywhere. I say this because the moss Mr Chan sells also come in "mat" form with a layer of soil underneath the moss. This is just my own theory, of course. I hope Mr Chan doesn't sue me

Loh K L

Bought an interesting 'moss' today.
    As the picture below shows, it is emersed growing from the LFS.

There is a display tank of it submersed growing at a planted tank in a shop at Yishun bus interchange.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are those white stuff roots? if so then it isn't moss, because mosses don't have roots
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaturbo
    Bought an interesting 'moss' today. There is a display tank of it submersed growing at a planted tank in a shop at Yishun bus interchange.

hiya if possible can you private message me the address of the planted shop to me ? or maybe give me direction on how to reach it when im at the intercharge thank , that white stuff does seem to be like root, if it a root and it still moss ... we better sent to the prof to check it
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alan
    …that white stuff does seem to be like root, if it a root and it still moss ... we better sent to the prof to check it
    if it is roots then it isn't moss, by definition! :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,
    I'm not sure if that's what Prof Tan said as my memory tend to be fuzzy sometimes but as far as I know, the Christmas Moss which we now know to be a species of Vesicularia will throw up capsules whether they are grown emersed or submersed
    Well, Prof Tan did mentioned that they still can propogate underwater as sperm swims.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aquaturbo,

The plant that you have is being cultivated at 'Ah Gek' farm in one of Pasir Ris fish farm. I can't remember the name or the address of the farm. It is growing on land in the farm and they tie them into drift wood before sending to the LFS.
    A staff there also cannot name the plant but refer us to a lady call 'Ah Gek' so my friend and I call it 'Ah Gek plant'.

[/quote]

Oh, now we have AGP.

The LFS selling is at Yishun Central. The block number should be 932. Somewhere near Aquastar.

Tan SW.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, folks,

This is an appeal to those hobbyists here who live in North America or Europe. If you can send me a sample of the genuine Willow Moss,
    (Fontinalis antipyretica), I would in return send you Erect or Christmas Moss.

I would have bought this plant from the local fish shops but I suspect none of the so-called Willow Mosses here are the real McKoys. Prof Benito Tan wrote me today. He's working on a scientific paper to identify as many aquatic mosses as he can. He needs our help. I have access to most of the mosses indigenous to this region but I can't find Willow. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Not Willow moss, but I have another one that might be of interest to you.

I have a tiny tiny bit of erect moss, some christmas moss, and another moss that is supposedly xmas moss (looks like java x xmas) and the moss above looks noticably different from the others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    This is an appeal to those hobbyists here who live in North America or Europe. If you can send me a sample of the genuine Willow Moss,
    (Fontinalis antipyretica), I would in return send you Erect or Christmas Moss.

Loh K L
    Loh K I live in North America and I have in my tank Willow Moss, or atleast thats what I bought. About 2 months ago it was growing well...then my SAE started eating the fronds...Now it doesnt look so great. I am trying to regrow it now and I hope it doesnt take to long...I can still send you some and you can grow it, but it will probably be brown when it arrives...Let me Know...I will send it if you want it now. oh by the way...dont know if this matters but when it was growing well in my tank it did produce thoses spore sacks.

E mail me it should be in my profile

Gomer...I have been reading your post about your "nano moss" its really growing well and looks super cool...makes me what to get a nano tank just for that species....I will give you my first born for some

Ben
    ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    Not Willow moss, but I have another one that might be of interest to you.
    Another beautiful moss ! Would be grateful if you can send some to KL for indentification. I am looking forward to a paper by Prof Tan that will finally provide the correct ID for all the mosses we have come to love !

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Here are some pics (I have erect moss, but it is a small bit and not in any of the pictures)

First 3 mosses: Back right is "nano moss". Front right is Xmas moss. Front left is also xmas moss?? (see below re: xmas moss)

Here is a picture of the two "xmas mosses". The one I believe to be xmas moss is the fluffy mound on top. The rest of the moss is "xmas moss" that I got from Ryuken (aquatic bliss)....both have lots of branching when the fronds grow out...but I'm not sure which is which.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does Prof. Tan cover other bryophytes like liverworts as well? It might be interesting to have his views on the taxonomic confusion between Pellia and Monosolenium, as well as the normal Riccia fluitans and so-called mini Riccia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes that's another subject being discussed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Does Prof. Tan cover other bryophytes like liverworts as well? It might be interesting to have his views on the taxonomic confusion between Pellia and Monosolenium, as well as the normal Riccia fluitans and so-called mini Riccia.
    He does. We have given him 2 species of 'Pellia' to ID.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by brbarkey
    Let me Know...I will send it if you want it now. oh by the way...dont know if this matters but when it was growing well in my tank it did produce thoses spore sacks.
    Ben, I will appreciate it very much if you can send me some of your moss as soon as possible. It does not matter that it's brown but it's important that you pack some of the capsules together with the moss when you send it. Here's my address:

Loh Kwek Leong
    Block 104 Towner Road
    #08-324
    Singapore 322104

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    Here are some pics
    Gomer, it's hard to tell from pictures but I suspect what you have isn't Christmas Moss as we know it. The moss you got from Ryuken looks like Java. I know for a fact that Java Moss branches out like Christmas when it is grown well but their fronds are much bigger. Your Nano-Moss is very interesting and looks like Erect. I have to ask you if Nano is a name given by you or is it a generally accepted common name?

If you already have Erect and Christmas in your tanks, the only moss I can offer in exchange for some of your Nano is my Taiwan Moss. I didn't include this Moss in my appeal because I have only a little of it. What I have now is a patch, the size of which is smaller than a child's palm. But in the name of scientific research, I will send it to you if you send me some of your Nano. To be completely honest, all the mosses we have seen so far are very beautiful but the Taiwan Moss is the best looking one of all. It costs me quite a fair sum to buy a small patch and I gave half to Prof Tan. I wanted to buy more 2 days ago but the fish shop owner said he wasn't selling as he expects prices to rise soon.

By the way, Gomer, where did you get your Erect Moss? Was it from Art Giacosa? I put up some Erect Moss for auction on Aquabid.com recently and Art won it with a bid of US $92. I didn't get a cent for it though as all of the proceeds went to the APD Defense Fund.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's a pic of a strand of Christmas Moss next to Java. Both have triangular shapes but the Java's frond is much broader.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI Mr Loh and all,
    Since this Taiwan moss come from Taiwan(Maybe that why it is being named). Why not let hope some hobbists from Taiwan or China can came to this forum to check out and trade with you.

If you can read chinese, You might want to visit http://www.51fish.net and try your luck there.

I will be posting on that forum to try and see if any response. Have introduce this website to the hobbist there regarding mosses.

Hope this will help one way or another. Cheers
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Mr. Loh,
    I sent you an email

You very well may be right on the java/xmas moss. The other xmas moss is definately xmas moss though

As for the Nano Moss, I have no idea what hte scientific or common name is. I collected this moss myself and it has been growing in my tank for about 2 months.

I got my erect moss (only a few small bits) from "Otherwise" at plantedtank.net

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast