Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: SMS short-forms again, sigh..........

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SMS short-forms again, sigh..........

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I would appreciate it very much if you refrain from using sms short-forms when you post to this forum. Unlike other fish forums based in Singapore, this one is unusual, in the sense that we don't like to see people butcher the English language. So, please do not write "ur" for "your" or "wat" for "what". Please spell properly or you run the risk of being thrown out of this forum. Please do not misunderstand us, we know not everyone can write good English but we expect you to at least make an effort to spell correctly.

Please understand that many hobbyists living in foreign lands surf into this forum to read our posts. To put it bluntly, you make Singaporeans look bad when you don't spell properly. You make us all look like a bunch of uneducated clods. If you're one of the guilty ones, I would appreciate it very much if you use the "edit" button to change what you have written. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Loh,

You have one supporter here when this issue is concerned.

I wonder if a sticky on “NO SMS language, Short Form allowed in this forum” will help. I know it is in the Forum Rule, however it seems that most newbies skip it. I hope this sticky will catch the attention of newbies.

I think the other sticky you might consider will be “Newbies Introduction” In that post list down the things you might want newbies to tell about themselves. Eg real names (a must), location and ect…

I guess the site owner, moderators and regulars here are sick and tired of saying the same old thing again and again and again.. I hope things will change for the better..

This is for the benefit of the forum.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the show of support, Sia Meng.

I didn't want to do this earlier because I feel that stickies clutter up the forum. But it seems like I don't have much of a choice as many of our fellow Singaporeans are so used to the culture in other forums they think this one doesn't mind sms short-forms and Singlish too.

For the time being until I have time to work on a better sticky, I'm pasting the 2 stickies from "Killies Arena" here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong,

Thanks you for the stickies, they help to ease moderating and allow me and our fellow forumers to see/read normally . We need not and should not put up with what I termed as "short-changed" words that are littering all over Singapore's forums.

I am glad and proud to be here.