Country
    Singapore

How to send Moss to another country

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Having sent moss many times to hobbyists living in other countries, I think I've perfected the art. To send moss and have it arrived in perfect condition, the trick is to pack them just slightly moist in an air-tight plastic bag. Here's how:

Use a padded envelope, one like this:

Some post offices in certain countries require that the green customs form (on left of pic) be filled up. Write "Moss for scientific study, no commercial value" for contents and mark the box that says "gift".

Padded envelopes are so called because they have bubbles inside to prevent the contents from being crushed. If you don't know what bubbles are, here's how they look:

Pack the moss in a thick plastic bag. Drain off as much water as you can. The moss should be just slightly moist as too much water will cause the plant to rot during the journey. If you use thin plastic bags like those ziplock ones, chances are too much moisture will escape through the thin plastic and the plant dries up completely and dies. Here's a pic:

Fold the plastic bag and seal it with a lighter. I've done this so many times I can seal a plastic bag so well it looks like it was done with a machine The trick is to hold the lighter close to the plastic and use the blue part of the flame. If you use the yellow part, the plastic will melt and the bag won't be airtight anymore. Here's how it looks after the bag has been sealed:

All that's left to do now is to put the plastic bag inside the padded envelope, affix the stamp, write down my address and drop it into the post office letter box. Mosses are good travellers and can easily survive a journey of a few thousand miles. A pack of moss I once sent to someone living in the US of A got lost in the mail and reach the receipient 2 months after I sent it. When he opened the envelope, half the moss was still green.

If you have some special aquatic moss, (scientific name unknown), please send it to me and I will send you something special in return.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, thanks for the information. i would like to ask you, how much you paid to send yourr moss over to usa or europe.
    Do you think that other aquatic plants like tonina would survive the trip ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi tcy81,
    If you want to get a better response for your question, please try to read up the thread titled "SMS short-forms again, sigh.........." which is on the planted tanks section.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear "What's your name" tcy81,

It's your 3rd post and I hope you realize by now that we're one friendly lot, so it's appreciated if you can sign off in your name and also edit your profile for location.

No one is going to harass you and who knows, someone in your apartment block may be in the forum and can help you out.

Friendliness is reciprocal and I think you know what that means. If not, try looking at this.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    please send it to me and I will send you something special in return
    So, what's special thing you will send to me? hehehe, just kidding. This time is our luck that Gwee was here so I don't need to follow your instruction, more easy by passing them to Gwee. I will appreciate if you can tell me the scientific name of "Dwarf Willow Moss" after you look at it's cell.
    Keep trying!!

K. Sitthiprasert