Thread: Can I keep Killies?

Can I keep Killies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

I am fromThe Netherlands.
    I have a 110 liter community tank (which you can see on my site).

I've become interrested in Killies and I am wondering if I could keep one kind of Killie with the following:

1x 10 liter tank
    1x 25 liter tank
    PH around 7.5
    KH 7 <= these are the parameters of my tapwater.

Is it possible for me to keep 1 pair in the 10L and use the 25L as a growout tank? or is it simply to small for any Killie I can keep in my tapwater?

One kind of Killie which I can buy here in the LFS is the Aphyosemion australe <= a very attractive fish!

thanks!

Vincent

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Can I keep Killies?

Hi, Vincent,

Welcome to the forum :smile:

I checked out your site and I must say you have very lovely Rams. I don't know if the so-called Holland Rams sold in some local fish shops come from your country but they are very beautiful fish indeed.

The other thing I noticed at your web site is the Dwarf Gouramis you mentioned. You said you have 2 females, both of which died from being attacked by a very aggressive male. I have to tell you I'm very surprised that female Dwarf Gouramis are available over where you are. Even in Singapore where the fish are exported from, it's very difficult to find the females.

Many years ago, before there were things like forums and message boards, I once took part in a discussion on an aquaria newsgroup. The hobbyists from Europe who have never seen a genuine female Dwarf Gourami thought the only way to sex the fish was to look out for the longer dorsal fins which females supposedly possess. I don't know if you are aware of this but female Dwarf Gouramis are very easy to sex. They are completely gray in colour.

In Singapore where the fish are bred, fish farmers cull the females and use them as food for bigger fishes. They supply only males to the fish shops so I seriously doubt they would export the females to other countries. I could be wrong though.

Okay, now for the killies.

I think there's no reason why you shouldn't keep them. Your tank sizes are big enough. As for your Ph, I've heard that Aphy. australes do better in slightly acidic water but from my own experience, it doesn't bother the fish if it's slightly alkaline.

By the way, is it really true that smoking weed is legal in the Netherlands? It may interest you to know that in Singapore, that is a capital offence. In other words, if they catch you smoking weed here, they will hang you. I'm serious

Loh K L

first of all: yes they were the grey, dull females. but it seems that i got killer gourami's

we don't see the females a lot compared to the males but they are available most of the time. I really don't know where they come from though

And yes it is legal to smoke weed here but I don't do it: I don't do drugs

and for the Killies: I may use some peat to soften my water a bit.

btw: which species of Killies can I keep as a pair in a 10L tank without any problems?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Can I keep Killies?

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    By the way, is it really true that smoking weed is legal in the Netherlands? It may interest you to know that in Singapore, that is a capital offence. In other words, if they catch you smoking weed here, they will hang you. I'm serious

Loh K L
    I hope your means it is a joke doing drugs don't hang, only trafficking does

Well, let me welcome Vincent too as I use to work for KPN, sadly they're no longer the crown jewels they once were. I heard they're getting rid of the bulldog cafes?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica