Images
    Country
    Singapore

Price of Mosses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    **edited this post, decided it is not good idea to share price openly. pm me instead **

Prof Tan is also doing a study on the trading of mosses in Singapore and would like your help with prices of mosses. if you have bought mosses or seen them in LFS, appreciate if you can pm me the name, price and shop for compilation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mermaid is selling the Taiwan moss at 100 gm for $100 - $120. That makes it $1 per gm!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Taiwan Moss

Quote Originally Posted by kc
    Mermaid is selling the Taiwan moss at 100 gm for $100 - $120. That makes it $1 per gm!
    That is expensive Wonder who is willing to pay that money for Taiwan Moss KL ?

Feedback Score
    Wow, that's expensive. As far as I know, Xmas moss (more ex than TW) retails at $60 for 100 grams.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    Wonder who is willing to pay that money for Taiwan Moss KL ?
    Well, maybe I would. It's expensive and it hurt quite a bit when I bought the first patch. I gave half to the Prof and the other half I tied to a piece of driftwood in my tank. It grows slow.

I went back to the shop the other day with the intention of buying more. It's not that I want more of the plant in my tanks but I thought it would make a better picture if I can have more of it on my driftwood. The Prof wants good pics of the mosses for his paper. But the fish shop owner said he's not selling as he expects prices to rise soon. He mentioned something about turning down an offer of $150 for some Taiwan Moss growing on a piece of driftwood.

I'm quite sure the Taiwan Moss will grow in my tanks, albeit slowly. The day will come when I have enough to distribute to everyone. And prices will surely fall then. Christmas and Erect used to cost a fortune too in the old days but they are relatively cheap now.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,

Mind to conduct a moss workshop. Mosses and me don't seem to get along.

I got a bunch of x-moss that you gave me and throw into a unused tank with 1 inch of water to kill the bba. After 1 week, I took halve of it and put into a new 1 ft tank with lights (11w). After another week, the moss in the 1 ft tank (with light ) dies but not the moss in the 1 inch tank under poor room lighting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Just to share my experience of xmass moss planting.

I do not use CO2 and my lighting is a 11W PL light.
    My moss grow very slow and i could see little light green leaflet after 2weeks(tied to plastic mesh or driftwood).

If you want to see fast growth of moss, you can place a small portion of them into a little plastic container(transparent type for light to shine in) and place them near a windows edge with day light but not direct sunlight.

After afew days you should see new light green leaftlet grow out. It one of the fastest way for me to revive my brown xmass moss. As i have some very short frond which i need to grow them inorder for me to have more ease to tie them to plastic mesh.

After 1 week or so i then tied it to driftwood or mesh if i intend to have them into my tank. As such it will continue to grow after placing into the tank.

Hi Mr Loh, I think your xmass moss is the BIG Frond type. As mine should be the small Frond type. Or do you have both type? Just abit curious. Was told that the BIG frond type are more expensive.

Cheers.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ts168
    Hi Just to share my experience of xmass moss planting.

I do not use CO2 and my lighting is a 11W PL light.
    My moss grow very slow and i could not see little light green leaflet after 2weeks(tied to plastic mesh or driftwood)
    Cheers.
    I have mosses in both CO2 and non CO2 tank. Both are doing well.
    What I noticed is that my mosses take a while to establish before the growth accelerates, as if threre is a period of 'root' growth. Typically when I tie them on drift wood or mesh, it takes about a month before they start sprouting lots of new fronds.

Hi Mr Loh, I think your xmass moss is the BIG Frond type. As mine should be the small Frond type. Or do you have both type? Just abit curious.
    We know that the physical appearence is usually misleading and the water condition affects the appearence. But you never know. It would be good if you could pass a sample to KL for for Prof to ID.

Feedback Score
    I noticed my moss grow better and faster with some water current.

Feedback Score
    Holy smokes thats expensive...Ive never seen Taiwan mass...what does it look like.
    ben