Country
    Singapore

Update on Aphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Howdy folks,

Just want to share an update on the Aphyosemion bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode' population that I'm maintaining.

The original pair from Kwek Leong, has been under my care since Sept 23rd 2003. The male's before / after (Dec 2nd) pic, and together as a pair. These pics and others can be found at my "Photo Tank" page.

Anyway, this update is about the next generation which will become my future breeders. I only wished that they were more prolific, like australes.

http://www.killies.com/forum/albums/...0217.sized.jpg
    Young Ijebu Ode male.

http://www.killies.com/forum/albums/...ebu040217F.jpg
    Young Ijebu Ode female.

Under ideal conditions, they are truly a sight to behold. Thanks Kwek Leong for the opportunity to care for these beautiful fishes and I hope this will encourage more local hobbyists to be gung-ho enough, to acquire their eggs and raise them in their tanks too*!

* A word of caution:
    The Ap. BIT Lagos's females are indistinguishable from the 'Ijebu Ode' population. Be very VERY careful if you're maintaining BOTH!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Update on Aphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode

Dear all,
    I received a PM saying that my Ijebu Ode is a Lagos population but since I'm very careful, especially when I know I have 2 populations of bitaeniatum. Instead of a private reply, I'll post here so others are wary of the close resemblance.

Whatever population code that's attached to the fishes when I first acquired them, it remained that way. Should I have any doubts, I relegate the fishes to mosquito-control squad... meaning to take care of unoccupied vessels of water and never to be released.

Young Ijebu Ode male at left. Lagos male at right.

Another pic of an earlier Aphy. BIT Lagos.

For the Lagos, when the pics are taken under different conditions and lighting, there are also subtle differences.
    Check out my Lagos page for other pics, but excuse the pop-ups... it's a free hosting site and I'm cheap! (so I can afford to buy more killies!) :wink: .

This much I'll hazard to say but ichthyology is pretty academic and for all I know, in reality, these two may be the same fish... only collected from different locations, hence different population codes!

FWIW, I'll maintain them as separate strains and enjoy both the same.

and I repeat...CAUTION!
    The Ap. BIT Lagos's females are indistinguishable from the 'Ijebu Ode' population. Be very VERY careful if you're maintaining BOTH!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

The differences between the 2 are so slight I have to say I can't see any difference at all. It could very well be that the Lagos and Ijube-Ode are exactly the same fish except that they were collected from different places.

I know I'm opening a can of worms when I say this but sometimes, I think some of us are becoming a tad bit obssessed with maintaining the collection codes. It would be a pity to relegate the fish to "mosquito-controllers" just because there's some doubt about their identity. Whether Ijube-Ode or Lagos, it's still a Aphyosemion bitaeniatum. The genus and species are not in doubt. There's always "aquarium strain" and although some might believe such Killies have lower values, I personally don't see it that way.

The fish I gave you came as eggs from Karl Walters of Canada. On his fish list, he has 2 A bitaeniatum, one without a collection code and the other Ojube-Ode. The eggs were supposed to be from the latter but it could very well be they got mixed up in Karl's tanks.

Collection codes are only as good as the breeder who describes them. I'm not suggesting that Mr Walters would ever do anything like that but I read somewhere that some professional Killifish breeders either intentionally mix up their collection codes or refuse to reveal them so that when buyers breed the fish, they can't sell the offspring at the same market prices.

In short, I wonder sometimes if we are taking things too seriously when we speak of maintaining pure breeds. It's good to keep only pedigrees but if the mongrels look just as good, I wonder what's the fuss all about :smile:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I know I'm opening a can of worms when I say this but sometimes, I think some of us are becoming a tad bit obssessed with maintaining the collection codes. It would be a pity to relegate the fish to "mosquito-controllers" just because there's some doubt about their identity.
    oooohhhh... and a big can of worms it is!

Kwek Leong, when I first got mauled by the killie bug, I've already commited myself to keeping the 'lines' straight. It was a choice I made readily, especially when I looked around to find hybrids everywhere... discus, guppies, rams, angelfishes, danios, platies... well... you get the picture.

Obssessed? No... I don't think so (ok, maybe slightly :wink: ), but you knew that even before we met! (remember how your search for killies in KillieTalk ended up at my previous home?)

Anyway, even as mosquito-controllers, these fishes still live a fruitful life, instead of being euthanized, or worse... flushed down the toilets!

"Never to be released" was a bad phrase. It should have read "Never released as coded fishes". Still, I wouldn't release them to hobbyists either.

During my house move, my helpful son consolidated 2 bags of females... Fp. gardneri N'sukka and Baissa females, and these ended up in other fish-lover's tank, to my friends and relatives and even the kids around the block... but never in the sewer!

Whether Ijube-Ode or Lagos, it's still a Aphyosemion bitaeniatum. The genus and species are not in doubt. There's always "aquarium strain"
    True, but if I could help it, I wouldn't want my 'accidents' to return and haunt me.

It's very likely that many others here like myself, started off with aquarium strains, but that was when there wasn't a choice. If there was, honestly, what would have been yours?

I will be acquiring live 'uncoded' killies when the weather warms up. I will maintain them for what they are... beautiful fishes that will do my tank proud. I'll have no qualms about distributing them as is, ie. aquarium strain.

The fish I gave you came as eggs from Karl Walters of Canada. On his fish list, he has 2 A bitaeniatum, one without a collection code and the other Ojube-Ode. The eggs were supposed to be from the latter but it could very well be they got mixed up in Karl's tanks.
    During my research into the different locations, Karl's past "Fish & Egg Listing" at the AKA turned up. Subsequently, I did ask whether such ambiguity or 'corrupted codes' be corrected before the listing goes into print. FWIW, we're all subjected to the seller's integrity, knowledge and perseverence (I used this word, since it takes a great deal of effort to actually maintain a line of fishes and not fall into temptation of hybridizing them).

Collection codes are only as good as the breeder who describes them.
    That's truer than true, nor did I doubt Karl's integrity. He might be tagging his fishes as the day he originally acquired them (I'm likely to have done the same).

...read somewhere that some professional Killifish breeders either intentionally mix up their collection codes or refuse to reveal them so that when buyers breed the fish, they can't sell the offspring at the same market prices.
    Professional or unethical? Would it be 'professional' not to release females as well, just so we can never breed them? Yup... that's real pro alright but I have a nasty habit... I never buy fishes without females :wink:

To extend it a little, how 'professional' would one be, to use a female from another population, because his 'coded-female' bellied up? He's a pro, in that he breeds and sells them commercially, but by actually doing so, how 'pro' is he, especially we 'end-users' will never get to know the truth?

Both of us know what killie-keeping entails and that such practices aren't in line with what the AKA preaches. I ain't no preacher but I practice what I believe in, and in part, that's the conservation of the species, population codes notwithstanding.

In short, I wonder sometimes if we are taking things too seriously when we speak of maintaining pure breeds.
    It's not out of context when killies are concerned, otherwise what's to justify the expenses in collection trips? If we question eminent killie-keepers like Dr Barry Cooper or Dr Brian Watters on this, I'll bet we get our bottoms spanked!

It's good to keep only pedigrees but if the mongrels look just as good, I wonder what's the fuss all about :smile:
    I had a 'un-pedigreed' golden retriever... a discard from a rich man's estate. Anyone can scoff at it, a mongrel, but to me, she not only looks good but was also a loyal companion. Nope, she doesn't have a Kennel Club Cert.

So what's the fuss about? Personally, it just reflects on how we want to approach this ball game and at the end of the day, it's all about individual preferences and I have decided.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, folks,

Lily Choo who has problems linking images to this forum sent these 2 pics to me. They are her Aphyosemion bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode'.

Nice fish, Lily but I think what you have are all males.

Ronnie, I believe Lily bought the eggs from Karl Walters too. Would such information be useful to you?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, Kwek Leong, these are undeniably beautiful buggers and you should have them in your tank too!

Do you have any 'room to spare'?

I'd like for you to 'baby-sit' a pair of Ijebu-Ode... offspring of the parents you passed to me. As always, I'm not very comfortable when a specie is in the hands of one person.

Conseratively speaking, they are still sub-adult but should be ready to breed in about 2~3 months. BTW, are you maintaining any other bitaeniatum species?

At times, I wished these buggers were more prolific but as is, I should have 3 young pairs. A pair will remain at my end and conditioned as my next breeders. One pair going back to their 'grandpa' (you, that is :wink: ) and the last, to Lily, since she has only boys!

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I believe Lily bought the eggs from Karl Walters too. Would such information be useful to you?
    It is always good to know the source and I figured as much since Lily did mention she aquired it indirectly from Karl, through a friend in the USA... that is, if my memory still works!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    I'd like for you to 'baby-sit' a pair of Ijebu-Ode... offspring of the parents you passed to me.
    I never thought I would turn down such a good offer but I'm afraid I have to. I have more fish than I can handle right now. So thanks but no thanks, buddy. Why don't you give the pair to people like Jianyang, Zulkifli or Rashid. I have a feeling these 3 are going to be our next batch of serious killifish breeders :smile:

Loh K L