Country
    Singapore

Maratecoara Lacortei

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Another hard to come by fish... :wink:

Sad to say I only have a pair and have yet to get them to lay any eggs!
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone has private message the below message. I would prefer to discuss it here as it will benefit those who wants to know more on this killie.

Hello Au,

Thats one very beautiful young male lacortei you have there. Someone mentioned to me before that they have a skewed sex ratio with more males being produced. Is this true?

Just a few questions to ask:
    1) Do the eggs need any special care with regards to other SAAs?
    2) What's the approximate incubation period in Singapore?

I'm trying to get eggs of this species and some other SAAs. It would be great if you could help me with some info.

In our context, most killifishes tend to have more males as compared to females. The is especially true to certain species of the SAA group. My knowledge is only limited to a few species which I kept them before so correct me if I'm wrong.

Like the Simp. magnificus and Simp. picturatus, the Maratecoara Lacortei tends to have more males than females. But for the Simp. fulminantis, they will give you a balance sex ratio!

1)For all annuals, the standard egg incubation rule applies. Make sure there is oxygen for the eggs to develop. The peat must be keep moist or the eggs will go into a resting period where they will not develop even after months of incubation. This is more obvious in the SAA group. I've incubated the Simp. magnificus and Simp. picturatus eggs for upto 6 months and still no sign on development in the egg! (Good when you're going for a long hoilday :wink: )

2) For the SAA, the species I've experienced on will usually have a incubation period of 6 weeks to 10 weeks. Most of them will fall in between 8 weeks of incubation. (There again this will vary on the wetness of the peat and the oxygen level the eggs are stored). For Maratecoara Lacortei, I got the eggs from the States so at present moment, I could not assertain the incubation period the eggs have to go through here. I'll update you guys when I manage to collect eggs from my pair.

Feel free to post your questions here and we can discuss it here rather than to private message the person. This way, the forum will be more lively and more people can participate and input info... :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Maratecoara Lacortei

Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Another hard to come by fish... :wink: Sad to say I only have a pair and have yet to get them to lay any eggs!
    Au, these are cute!! Can I be on queue when the eggs start dropping? (ok ok... call me greedy! )

Strange, but they look like cousins of the Terranatos dolichopterus, without the long finnages!

Good luck with these!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Au, these are cute!! Can I be on queue when the eggs start dropping? (ok ok... call me greedy! )
    If I manage to tollect the eggs, you'll be the first one one the list..

They're annuals mind you!:wink: :wink: This means you'll have to collect peat and dry peat.. again.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read in one magazine article that more males are produced as losses from fights are high and losing males to predators in the wild is genetically preferable to losing females, which only need one male to fertilise her eggs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    If I manage to tollect the eggs, you'll be the first one one the list..
    oh goodie!... and thanks! I was researching on another rivulus and came across this pic of the lacortei. It looks really nice and I think that's a mature male.

They're annuals mind you!:wink: :wink: This means you'll have to collect peat and dry peat.. again.
    well... yeah.. I did say that I'm avoiding annuals but it's difficult to resist a fish like that! :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee