Country
    Singapore

Ikeja

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Lily Choo sent me these 2 pics. She wants Ronnie to see them because she thinks he has doubts that the fish won't be "inter-married". I'm not sure what's going on between the 2 but all I can say is "better take the lady seriously, she's a good fish breeder"

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, I think the fish in the pictures are a Rivulus species (I'm not sure which one though). The term Ikeja is a location code for Fp. filamentosus which Lily and Zul obtained from the last mass egg order.

In any respect, the fish in the pictures are a beautiful lot. Lily, which Rivulus species are they?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    I think you are right about the species. While surfing, I realized the Ikeja on the net are so much different from mine..
    http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killif...lamentosus.htm

But I am very sure the one batch of my 'hatch' died, I guess it must be the Fp. filamentosus 'Ikeja' and those posted here must be the Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain).

To Mr Loh and Ronnie, I am sorry for the wrong information but aren't they lovely too?
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily, they're really nice :wink: But just out of curiosity, you're only left with the single male and 3 females?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Lily, they're really nice :wink: But just out of curiosity, you're only left with the single male and 3 females?
    Yes, I am left with one male and 4 females to be precised. I left the other female out because it's a belly slider and dont seem to grow. And because I am left with one ONE male, i got to be extra careful with 'him'
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    This is definitely not the Fp species. I have the Fp filamentosus (aquarium strain) and Au has the coded filamentosus. It doesn’t look close to this.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The picture shown above is the Rivulus cylindraceus found in western region of Cuba. According to the data from Killidata, this fish is a non-annual. To spawn them, use floating plants as the fish tend to stay near to the water surface.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ikeja

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Lily Choo sent me these 2 pics. She wants Ronnie to see them because she thinks he has doubts that the fish won't be "inter-married".
    Thanks Kwek Leong for posting the pic up. I was looking forward to the 'Ikeja' pics, Fp. filamentosus Ikeja that is, but the RIV is one nice looking fish too!

I'm not sure what's going on between the 2 but all I can say is "better take the lady seriously, she's a good fish breeder"
    urm... can you rephrase that? :wink: Besides, I've no doubts that some of our lady hobbyists take better care of the fishes than the guys can.

Lily, you've done well to have raised them to adulthood... and I can't wait to breed them... even though they're not the Ikeja. I'll clear up one of the tanks and wait for you to tell me when.

BTW, I have a young pair of aquarium strain Fp. filamentosus and it looks like this...

Can't wait for them to mature either!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Collection ID on FIL

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    This is definitely not the Fp species. I have the Fp filamentosus (aquarium strain) and Au has the coded filamentosus. It doesn’t look close to this.
    Greetings from the high desert of California.

I just hatched some FIL that I obtained from Tyrone Genade, in South Africa.

I would like very much to trace their origin, and obtain a location, if possible.

Tyrone tells me they came to him from Singapore, but originally from Germany.

Any chance that is enough information to enable me to label them "aquarium strain" or "Ikeja" or ???

TIA

Wright

PS. Getting a fertile strain of any Paludopanchax is very difficult, and these seem to qualify. Apparently the Nigerian exporters play fast and loose with look-alike females, so we can rarely keep them going for more than 3 or 4 generations. Even Scheel was stumped by Fp. arnoldi.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    I just hatched some FIL that I obtained from Tyrone Genade, in South Africa.

I would like very much to trace their origin, and obtain a location, if possible.

Tyrone tells me they came to him from Singapore, but originally from Germany.

Any chance that is enough information to enable me to label them "aquarium strain" or "Ikeja" or ???
    Hi Wright,
    A small group of us managed to liaise with a LFS, to order from the transhipper who brought in the Europe-sourced FILs. Tyrone may have gotten it from the said transhipper but our German counterparts were reluctant to release population/location codes. Reasons are yet unclear why they'd want to do so.

Judging from Aqualog, the FILs fit the 'Ikeja' population but that's a gamble not worth taking. I'd humbly suggest leaving it as 'aquarium strain'.

BTW, the fish that was shown is the Riv CYL (Al Castro strain).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Ikeja?

Thanks, Ronnie.

That's what I needed to know. I'll keep them as an "AS" and quit worrying about a location. :-)

IMHO, locations are basically worthless on many commercial imports, as the females and males may not be very closely related, anyway.

What counts, in the case of Paludopanchax is to get a good fertile strain to continue to reproduce. This one seems to be doing it, rather well. I'm delighted to have them. [The Ikeja's we have seen were not all that pretty, but Tyrone tells me that these are very attractive.]

The Fp. arnoldi Ugele TR-01 have already started to run into a wall, here, and the next generation seems to not be possible in some fishrooms. [The variability, as shown by the pics on Tim's site should be a clue that they were not a pure species, as imported.]

Thanks for the quick answer. At least I don't need to plan a drastic line-breeding effort to get back to purer genes.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA