Thread: Keeping Cryptocoryne emersed

Feedback Score

Keeping Cryptocoryne emersed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi.

Do any of You keep "waterplants" emersed (above water level)? Im looking for advice to keep cryptocoryne species emersed and hope to see any flower from it.

/Pär Jansson

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pär Jansson,

I do not have any experience in that however, a hobby friend of mine had done that for Enchinodorus. This is how:

1) Place the Plant rooted into a potted soil
    2) Moist the whole plant
    3) Cover the complete plant with clear plastic sheet/bag

After some 2~3 weeks, the plant will adapt to emersed form.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pär, do you have a greenhouse? Crypts require high humidity to keep the leaves from drying out. On the other hand, Echinodorus spp. are very easy to keep emersed, I keep them planted in a trough with substrate and 2 inches of water (enough to keep some guppies for mosquito control) so that I don't have to keep watering them everyday :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for replay.

My idea was to keep pots in an aquarium half-filled with water, and the leafs above the surface. If its covered I hope to get high humidity and maybe some flower.

Do any of you keep plants from your own counrty?

/Pär

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have various Echinodorus spp. growing out of a 4ft trough with 4-inch substrate and 4-inch water. Works both as a pond and a flower pot At one end I also have a small stand of Cyperus helferi.

I also used to keep various stem plants such Rotala spp. but these tend to get messy as the stem grows longer.

In another small trough I am experimenting with various Cryptocoryne spp. grown in 1-inch of water to see which species will adapt well. Again must have enough water to allow some fish for mosquito control.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by froo
    My idea was to keep pots in an aquarium half-filled with water, and the leafs above the surface. If its covered I hope to get high humidity and maybe some flower.
    /Pär
    this will work well for Crypts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I do have some experiences keeping crypts emersed with varied level of success. To grow crypts emerse, I believe there need to be a certain level of shade firstly. When I grew C. balansae emerse, those that were shaded under tall stands of Cryperus helferi did better than those in full sun which wilted.

As mentioned, humidity is key as well. Personally, I do not believe that you can grow Crypts emersed with partial water (in Choy's case for mosquito control) because of Crypt rot. Moreover, if one notice the crypts in nature, those that are found in water, are almost usually fully submerged when found. Whereas those that are found emerse, are usually only wet at the base where they are rooted and the leaves are almost entirely our of water.

I have seen some hobbyist covering their tanks with cellophane paper to maintain humidity, which might work. But the best way is to get one of those mist making devices. (Personally, I think the humidity factor is less important if the plant gets good shade). A rich substrate most definitely helps as well.

Lastly, I tried planting just the tuber and the entire plant in an experiment. I find that just planting the tuber or rhizome has better success rates since most of the leaves rot away anyway, and expose the plant to rot.

Hope this helps...
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Cyperus helferi has to be me my favourite aquatic plants! How are you adapting and growing it emersed? I tried to make it adapt before, but my methods failed in the end.

Crypts are another one of my favourites. I was able to get one of my C. wendtii to adapt to a low humidity(not completely dry, but the lid is not fully sealed). Later on, I will see if it can stand the dryness of my room. I cannot say the same for all Crypts though, I hear C. affinis needs high humidity in order to grow emersed.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by checkerboard
    Personally, I do not believe that you can grow Crypts emersed with partial water (in Choy's case for mosquito control) because of Crypt rot.
    Crypts rot whenever there is a change in their environment e.g. too much fertlizers being added, shifting of the plant, change in intensity of light etc in the aquaria. Only the leaves will rot leaving the rhizomes intact as the rhizomes will have the bud and food. Once the crypt has adapted to its new environment, new leaves will begin to grow. I have planted some crypts - rhizome and those with leaves. Those with leaves, the existing starts to melt but after a week or so, new leaves starts to grow whereas the rhizomes start to grow new leaves almost immediately.
    My setup is almost similar to the poto below (without enclosure) and my crypt is doing ok.

Pär,
    is this is what you are looking for ?

Too bad its not mine. You can find more info at The crypts pages
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    this is similar to what I have, except the set up is not enclosed to retain moisture. some species are doing find with leaves emersed and not drying out. others have their leaves just under the surface.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think when you have water, in most cases, the leaves will just stay below the surface. I rarely see one like those in the pictures. I have to say that set-up is lovely. I do understand about the Crypt rot thing, perhaps just did not communicate it across well.

Also, what I did formerly with some success as well, is to plant the crypts in, let the leaves rot, drain a lot of water, then the new leaves will grow emerse!
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yew Kiat, I think it depends on species.