Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Newbie on Raising Killifish Need your Advice

Feedback Score

Newbie on Raising Killifish Need your Advice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    please give me adivce on how to raise these little guys. Aphyosemion georgiae GAB 90/18 I'm going to be vpurchasing fertile eggs or starting off with two pairs soon.... I need some advice from ppl that have actually work with this specie!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie on Raising Killifish Need your Advice

Welcome to the forum 'Esso' (what's your name, please).

If you have to be specific about the Aphy georgiae, there's not much I can offer you, but I'll hazard a guess from experience with similar species (and a image search on Google) that it'll handle like most Chromaphysosemion or Aphy bitaeniatum.

Our water parameters may be different from your Canadian mains but hatch-out of fry should remain the same, and I usually start these smaller fry off with infusoria and microworms, with BBS about a week later.

Hope that helps but keep us updated anyway... it's a nice looking fish!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hello

georgiae are a member of the Diapteron genus. This genus is said to be one of the harder ones to maintain. I have never kept any but from what I understand they require very good water quality and very cool water.

Some good information on breeding Diapterons can be found here http://sheneskillies.com/Articles/br...diapterons.htm

Good luck with raising them.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    Some good information on breeding Diapterons can be found here http://sheneskillies.com/Articles/br...diapterons.htm

Good luck with raising them.
    Yes, indeed, good luck. If you talk to Bill Shenefelt he will tell you these are not for beginners. I've noted he is selling some eggs on Aquabid, but
    on the proviso that he talks to the bidder to see what their experience
    level is. Geography is going to help you provide a cooler biotope, but I'm
    afraid that is only a start with what's required. Could I ask where you got
    these eggs? I admire your courage, and do visit the above site--one of the best for subject matter.

Bill Ruyle
    aka 08120

Feedback Score

Thanks

Well Thanks for all your great advices, and yah I tried those sites but is doesn't give me enough info on raising them. I'm going to purchase eggs or pairs from this guy name: Chris Sinclair, which i found him on the Canadian Killifish Association. He's indeed a great help. I think this is a great fish, but many try to avoid these little guys. They definitely fit my aquarium!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tom, apparently all the species in Diapteron has been reclassified Aphyosemion. Some sources also write it as a subspecies Aphyosemion (Diapteron).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the correction Choy Heng Wah. I was going by my Aqualog book which was published in 1997 and already seems to be out of date.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    How much would you pay for a week spawn of diapterons anywayz?

Sincerely Jimmy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've just paid for US$2 an egg for the Diapterons(exclude shipping).

Usually, for this fish, hobbyist will sell the eggs in a dozen and not week spawn. They don't give you alot of eggs everyday.
    Au SL

Feedback Score

georgiae

I am working with GEO and they are the easiest of all the Diapteron group. They like temps 68 to 70 F degrees, PH a little below neutral, soft water but a little salt is good, especially for feeding Live BBS daily!! Grindal worms are also a good idea for feeding the adults. They spawn in floating yarn mops. I keep 2 prs in a 3 gallon tank with 2 floating yarn mops and a small sponge filter on slow bubble rate. Low lighting is beneficial for the fishes peace of mind, some tannins in the water also seem to be appreciated. On good days the mops from this one tank may yeild upwards of 20 eggs every other day, down to a few eggs every other day. Eggs will hatch in about 2 weeks and the fry must be offered very small live foods at first: paramecium, vinegar eels, micro worms for the first few days. The fry do not go out of their way to find food and should be kept in a very small container. I start 20 to 35 fry in a small plastic container 1 inch X 3 inches in 1/4 inch of water for the first week.
    This allows the fry to find the food more easily and start growing very quickly, well for a very slow growing species any way !!
    David Mikkelsen
    AKA #06121 SAA#172 NWK#10 GPAS#159
    http:www.thekillifishsource.com