Images
    Country
    Singapore

Asian bonytongues (arowana) reclassified

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not killifish but surely worth a metion: some scientist has gone and reclassified the various colour variants of the Malayan Bonytongues (arowana).

New Arowana species!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    I cannot get through the link provided and dying to know what is the content. Can you please cut and paste some part of the article into this board?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the petfrd forum is down. try again later. basically added three new species.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    still doesn't work

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    not working YET

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know! the timing is horrible. In any case, the only information available is basically that they have reclassified and added 3 species based on morphological and genetic evidence. The 3 species groups the indonesia silver (can't remember the epithet), the RTG (S. aureus) and the chilli red, super reds, etc (yet another long epithet I couldn't remember).

I am asking Heok Hee (who posted the info) to bring me a copy of the scientific paper when he's back in April.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK it's back…

Quote Originally Posted by Bagrus Dude
    Some color varieties of the Asian arowana (Scleropages formosus) are now recognized as distinct species. The reference is:
    Pouyaud, L., Sudarto & G.G. Teugels, 2004. The different colour varieties of the asian arowana Scleropages formosus (Osteoglossidae) are distinct species: morphologic and genetic evidences. Cybium 27: 287-305, and the new species are:

S. macrocephalus: Silver Indonesian Arowana
    S. aureus: Red Tail Golden Arowana
    S. legendrei: Super Red, Chili or Blood Indonesian Arowana

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    Is that mean our green one in Thailand will be S. formosus on their own?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    apparently yes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    how about the Malasian Gold? Well....I can't wait to see the paper.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonn
    how about the Malasian Gold? Well....I can't wait to see the paper.
    If that's the red tail gold then it is now S. aureus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I received the paper from NG Heok Hee and I have scanned and posted it. You can download
    The Different Colour Varieties Of The Asian Arowana Scleropages formosus (Osteoglossidae) Are Distinct Species: Morphologic And Genetic Evidences by Laurent POUYAUD, SUDARTO and Guy G. TEUGELS (right click and save)
    but it is 27MB so only those with broadband need bother.

Very good read

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    OK I tried and tried couldn't get it to completely download. It even said my acrobat reader is not good enought for the file Are there anything else you can do to get me to read this, Choy? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

I have the same problem too. Seems that the file does not fully upload. My Acrobat Reader is working fine. Have been looking at other .pdf files with no problems.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't remember whether I compressed for Acrobat Reader 6, but suggest that you do not just click to read in a browser window, do a right-click and save the PDF so that you will know if the file has completely being downloaded, which should be about 27MB. Once fully downloaded you can try Acrobat Reader 5 or 6.

Let me know if you are unable to save or completely download.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonn
    OK I tried and tried couldn't get it to completely download. It even said my acrobat reader is not good enought for the file Are there anything else you can do to get me to read this, Choy? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    Nonn, are you able to read yet? have you checked your PM?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    Hello Choy

Thank you for you concern, I read it already. Many things in the paper make sense to me. But my only concern is that their seems to be too few specimen for morphology and some are aquarium bred, which is not normally usable in this kind of paper.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    considering the rarity of wild specimens and their prices! notice they didn't even manage to get a cross-back specimen.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the only thing is now I'd have to go around hunting for the other species to take pictures of so previous picture of S. formosus has now become S. aureus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    Still I'm wondering if Thai authority will acknowledge this paper and let us who legally import everything else apart from the green and the golden cross back keep them. Or if they acknowledge this paper they will have difficult time telling them apart espeacially with all these darn cross species around! Oh, did you guys know the S. formosus is protected species in Thailand?

Watching discovery channel in Reo Negro and seeing Cardinal tetra living in rather clear water, not as blackish as I expected..... Is this the reason why they are generally easier to keep than the Neon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast