Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Calendar Australe

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I spent the afternoon experimenting with the camera and came up with this shot. My wife said it looks like a picture for a calendar, hence the subject heading. Actually, I was trying to take a picture of the Willow Moss when the australe swam into view.

Nice pic, don't you think?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong,
    I like the DOF (Depth Of Field) of the pic and composition isn't too bad for a 'camera doof' but it'll be even better if you can 'edit off' the string on the driftwood :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    si beh swee (english: very beautiful) no horse run! (english: it's a winner)
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Lovely!!
    Would also make a nice screen saver!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Very nice picture! That is quite some luck getting a pose like that when not expecting so.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I like the picture. Very very pretty with simple background and shadow depth of field that bring out the striking orange colour of the australe.

BTW, Does australe prefer slow current, like rachovii? 2 died after I put them into a 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The picture is very very nice.
    When my fishes are happy, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In response to Debra's comment, I have uploaded a re-sized picture which is much bigger. Please feel free to use it as a screen-saver if you like it. I didn't put my usual stamp "www.killies.com" on it so as not to spoil it. I couldn't do anything about the 2 strings that Ronnie pointed out though as I don't know how to edit pictures.

I just received a warning from my web host a few days ago that I'm running out of space again. Seems like this web site and forum has already used up more than 80% of the 100 MB of space I paid for. I suppose this picture alone would take up a substantial amount of MBs so I can't leave it here for long. It will be taken down and replaced with the smaller one after a week or so.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, send me your best resolution file and I will crop it (I think I can manage to get rid of the strings with still a good photographic placement) and host it at hexazona for you (separate from my archive).

BTW my hosting site is 500MB for less than US$100 a year. Ben Yau can give you more details.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    BTW my hosting site is 500MB for less than US$100 a year. Ben Yau can give you more details.
    Heng Wah,

This thing about my web host charging much higher fees than others has been brought to my attention a couple of times but I'm afraid there's little I can do about it. They were recommended by a close friend when I created this web site and at that time, the charges were fair. But with increased competition in the last year or so, web hosting fees have gone down by huge margins.

Mac-user who administrates this forum for me said that if I decide to move this site and forum, one big obstacle would be the forum itself. You see, I'm using free software provided by the server to run this forum and because it's free, there's a big problem. Actually, the web site has already been moved but Mac-user couldn't move the forum because of various problems related to the software. I'm not a techie guy so I really don't know what's happening but what I know is that the company hosting this forum has already moved all the web sites under them to another server. The only thing they couldn't move is this forum because it has become too big. My contract with them runs out this August, I think and when that time comes, they may desert me. In other words, they may not renew my contract so this forum could very well disappear overnight. They have the right to do that but I'm hoping they won't. Although they are quite expensive, the service has been good and this forum has not encounter any "out-of-service" problems.

When I started this, Mac-user didn't foresee that the forum would grow so big so quickly. If he had known, he wouldn't use the free software. But then again, I might not have been willing to start this forum if I had to pay for the software as well. As it is, I'm paying something like Sing $300 a year and that is with a substantial discount because of Mac-user connections. I checked the web host's web site recently and if I were to upgrade my package by another 100 MB, it would mean about another Sing $120 a year. Ouch

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there any other options? What about getting sponsors or get revenue from advertisment? Another option is to get us to pay.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    Another option is to get us to pay.
    KL,

you have discussed this before and I think some of us don't mind chipping in to help defray your hosting cost. The website and forum is yours and just treat us as contributing members. The forum has been a lot of help to people like me.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for offering to help, Zul.

But really, the problem isn't one of costs. As Heng Wah has pointed out, web hosting fees can be as cheap as 500 MB for less than US$100 a year. If we have 500 MB of space, we can all go to town

The problem is how to move this forum to a web host that charges lower fees. I don't know how to do it. Mac_user who's a whiz with computers and IT related stuff tried moving this forum last Christmas but failed. He mentioned something about chopping the forum into portions and moving them part by part. But the parts didn't fit nicely after the move.

It could be, come August, we will have to move. If there isn't a better solution, the alternative would be to start from scratch again. It would mean all of you will have to register yourself again as members and many posts will be lost.

Loh K L