Country
    Singapore

Singapore Moss - Why the name?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I've started a new topic here about the common name that the Professor picked for the moss that can be found in many places in Singapore. The Prof chose "Singapore Moss" for 2 main reasons. The first reason is obvious, the Moss is native to Singapore. The second reason is that it's a moss first popularised by Singaporean hobbyists. Many of you already know these 2 reasons but there's a 3rd one which you may not know.

After many sessions with the Professor, I've learnt many things, one of which is that identification of moss species isn't an exact science. In certain instances, what is one species could very well be another. Or what were thought to be 2 species could very well be the same.

To identify the mosses, the Prof looks at the cells under a microscope. But that's the easy part. The tough part is to find the publication which first announced the species. In other words, the Prof has to refer to the original publication where the Moss was first studied and classified. The Prof has many such books, some of which were published in the 18th century. I was quite surprised to find, when flipping through these books, the clarity of the diagrams and the attention paid to detail. For every moss species, there were many diagrams. Most diagrams showed the leaf struture and some showed the cell structures. A few showed the fronds.

For the Singapore Moss, the diagrams of the leaf structures were of a wide range. There were short and broad leaves as well as long and narrow ones. In other words, the Singapore Moss is pretty special, in the sense that their leaf structures are very diverse. They could be long and narrow or broad and short.

That, my friends, is the 3rd reason. We are known as a multi-racial, multi-religious and multi-culture nation. The Singapore Moss name is very apt as just like us, the moss is mutli-faceted too.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    like the third reason very much......guess it is very uique amongst mosses or are there other mosses that have similar characteristics ??
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Singapore Moss - Why the name?

Agreed, very meaningful name.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

o.o it's really cool how they got the name

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dont know if this is the correct place to ask ... but anyone can tell me where is a good place to find SG moss? Would like to try some of them in the foreground

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro,

go below your block area, try looking at near the tree roots.
    look abit like xmas moss\flame moss (you'll get the idea )

if not try looking at places where soil is moist but yet have ample sunlight.
    i found near HP service center the place have lots of them.

i am also doing same thing as you.

regards
    felix
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."