Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The big request

The big request

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello.
    My name is Oleg, I live in Russia, in city of Novgorod Velikiy near to St.-Petersburg.
    For a long time I am interested killi-fishes and very much I want them to have. But in our region they are not sold, they can be got only by mail.
    There can be somebody from were interested killi can send me a few eggs any killi?
    Thank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The big request

Quote Originally Posted by velesha
    My name is Oleg, I live in Russia,
    Hi, Oleg,

I think you're the first member from Russia. Welcome.

Are you already keeping Killies? I don't have any eggs to send you but I hope someone here will. Sia Meng? Au? Ronnie? Gan? Poh San? Jianyang?
    Can one of you help Oleg? Maybe its best to send him some Notho eggs as chances of them surviving the journey are much higher than non-annual eggs.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know, you might need a heated envelope?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Now that you mention that, I think Oleg should let us know how the weather is like over in St Petersburg. Oleg?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by velesha
    For a long time I am interested killi-fishes and very much I want them to have. But in our region they are not sold, they can be got only by mail.
    Oleg, welcome to the forum. You reminded me of how it was in Singapore during the mid '90s when killifishes are not available in the LFS, and I had to look towards USA and Europe for killie eggs.

It has taken us some time to be where we are now, but I'll help where I can.

Let me dig around and see if I have any Simpsonichthys constanciae eggs for you. I have some Aphyosemion australe eggs but since their incubation period is much shorter, I wouldn't want to try these first (sending them, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I don't know, you might need a heated envelope?
    Choy, I've not tried sending eggs to a cold region but for plants, a polyfoam (polystyrene?) box works best to insulate.

I can only guess that if the bag of eggs is wrapped with fine filter wool, then snugly fitted into the polyfoam box, I suspect that survival rate is pretty good. Not knowing how long it'll take to arrive, annual-eggs would be a better choice.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    worst case it arrives as caviar
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Hi Oleg,

Welcome to the forum! I had cut down on a number of annual species. I will try to send Fp gardneri Nsukka after I submit my final year dissertation end of this month.

Please email me your address to [email protected]

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You know, over the last year or so, I have received many requests (through private email) for killifish eggs from people who live in other countries. Occasionally, the people who made these requests live in countries which do not have access to paypal and where there's no killifish scene to speak of. Besides Russia where Oleg lives, I had requests from people who live in Israel, Spain and Thailand. I want to help these hobbyists but sometimes, its beyond me.

I wonder if the few serious killifish hobbyists who live in Singapore can start a scheme to help these people. Let's say if we would to start a scheme where each one of us promise to maintain a certain species of killifish which are good beginner fish for newbies. We then take turns to help out people who come to this forum by sending them the eggs. For instance, I have the Nothobranchius eggersi in my tanks and in a few weeks time, they should be matured enough to lay eggs. I can start a breeding programme and collect their eggs diligently and send them to any newbie who comes into this forum looking for eggs. I can't do this alone so I need you guys to help out. We take turns at doing this.

There will be no monetary reward for doing this. In fact, it would cost you some money and a lot of time. The only reward, if any, would be to feel good that you have help someone on the road to breeding killies.

As far as I know, Ronnie, Sia Meng and Au already do this on a regular basis. What I'm proposing is just a scheme to get this more organised so that none of us will get burnt-out doing this alone.

Obviously, the scheme will not be for people who live in countries where there's already an active killifish scene going. The US of A and several European countries would be among them. I would exclude Singapore too because there are already fish shops here that sell Killies.

Any volunteers?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very noble Loh, unfortunately nothing ever breeds in my tank other than shrimps and guppies. I can volunteer to pay for and lick the stamps though

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't mind to be one of the volunteers. Perhaps we should list out the beginner killies. From there assign people to the species maintenance.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for volunteering, Zul. What species do you keep now?

I would rather not assign anyone with any particular species as it's all up to the volunteers themselves to breed the fish which they think are most suitable for this scheme. But I would say it would be good if the people who take part in the scheme maintain one species of annual. Their eggs ship better as the incubation period is much longer.

The newbies who come in here looking for killifish eggs are usually not fussy about species as long as its killifish. That should be right as "beggars shouldn't be choosers"

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will love to join in, however my current collection is very limited. Besides A. australe 'Orange' and A. australe 'Chocolate' that give me eggs almost everyday, I have a pair of Nothobranchius flammicomantus Kisaki in the breeding tank and a few bags of Simp. magnificus egg.

Once I have established my "production line" of fish, I will be more than willing to contribute killies egg.

Thanks.
    Ong Poh San.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Thanks for volunteering, Zul. What species do you keep now?
    I have the following :
    A. australe 'Orange'
    A. australe 'Chocolate'
    N. rachovii - I should be able to harvest eggs within the next month or so.
    Fp. gardneri

I'm trying to raise the following :
    N. guentheri
    N. korthausae
    Rivulus agilae

I'm game to try other species if it helps in the programme.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a bag of Nothobranchius foerschi eggs to spare. It should have easily 150 eggs inside or even more. Who will be consolidating the eggs to be sent to out?
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Who will be consolidating the eggs to be sent to out?
    Au, there's no need for any consolidation. What I'm proposing is to lessen the burden, not make it harder.

Now, let's suppose we have 6 volunteers and they are:

Ronnie
    Sia Meng
    Au S L
    Zulkifli
    Loh K L
    Poh San

Someone new comes along and beg for some eggs. Ronnie's name is top of the list so he gets to do the guy the favour. Sia Meng is next on the list and he will send eggs to the next person who comes around asking for them. I will leave it entirely to your judgement whether the guy who's asking deserves any eggs for free. If he's rude or he does not put down a real name, I would suggest we all ignore him. But if like Oleg, he's sincere and comes from a country where there's no killifish scene to speak of, I would say "Give the guy some eggs". But let's not spoil them. One species of eggs to each should be enough.

What do you all think of my idea? Would you like to add your name to the list or take it off?

By the way, I got another request today. I think its from China. Would anyone want to help him?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds good to me. However, I think sending eggs to other country will depend on the weather down there. E.g. Oleg's case - not sure whether his country has started thawing.
    Even those in the US of A won't send eggs during the cold weather unless it is accompanied by a heatpack.
    Another suggestion - should we list down what are the good beginner's species? When I started out, I sort of hunt the info on the internet and then jump onto the bandwagon.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    By the way, I got another request today. I think its from China. Would anyone want to help him?
    Loh, if he is asking for species to start this hobby, I think it is better for him to approach his fellow hobbyists in China. The number of species in China now might not be lesser than Singapore. They are more daring than our hobbyists here and had try bringing live fish.

If not mistaken they have about 3 forums and are much bigger than ours in term of number of members. Besides they have been actively buying eggs from Aquabid.

We are here to help people who have difficulties getting the eggs due to language barrier or the hobby is still green in their country or there isn’t anyone in the country having any killifish at all.

If I remember clearly, Ronnie and Au had helped a Chinese in starting this hobby. Why don’t we give him that contact instead? If we help someone, we are hopping that he will help his own countryman as well.

If any New Thai hobbyist will ask me for eggs now, I will ask him to buy it from Oil and Akarat. The purpose for passing/giving them the eggs and fish is spread the hobby in Thailand. I am not bothered if they sell or give, as long as the hobby is spread around.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think I'll want to send eggs to the China hobbyist. I've being in contact with a few moderators in China from various killifish forum and the killifish scene is much more active than here.

They even going to the extend going through setting up a killifish club. The species that they have are much more than what is available here!

I've sent at least 30 to 40 bags of eggs to China of various species. By now, the species had got itself established in China. I even received some photos of the offsprings from the lot of eggs I sent.

So count me out for the China guy who approach you.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    I will have to agree in recommending them to other Killifish hobbyists within their area. It would increase the popularity through word of mouth(or internet) of the breeders in the country.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie's name is top of the list so he gets to do the guy the favour.
    Ronnie,

How can I pass you the bag of eggs?
    Au SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast