Thread: AUS Gold

Feedback Score

AUS Gold

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys

When I first bought the AUS orange, the offspring turn out to be all Gold. I suspected that the females were Gold. Now after 4 generations of selective breeding, the Gold strain is more stable in my tank.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: AUS Gold

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    When I first bought the AUS orange, the offspring turn out to be all Gold.
    Sia Meng, were the ancestors of your fish from my tanks? I see you did a good job of fixing the strain.

Loh K L

Feedback Score

AUS gold

KL, judging by Sia Meng's photos, he's gained a "spotless reputation" with
    these fish! I'm a little envious, all of you seem to have passed "Fish
    Photograghy 101" with flying colors. Striking photos of some beautiful fish, Sia Meng! Nicely done.

Bill Ruyle
    farang9

Feedback Score
    Hi Loh and Bill, thanks for the nice words. Yup the ancestors were from your tank. The first photo is 4th generation and the 2nd picture is the 3rd generation I gave Ronnie during the gathering. Since he is not using this handsome male, I took it back to start a breeding programme.

he's gained a "spotless reputation" with these fish
    There is actually another spotless strain I am working on. AUS “brown” or rather “chocolate spotless’. When I had that fish, the male and female were already very old and was down with Camallanus, thus it only gave me 6 offspring. Of which, 3 were males and only 1 is spotless. (I am guilty of culling them, but I do not wish them to mixed up with original chocolate) A picture of that old male.

all of you seem to have passed "Fish Photography 101" with flying colors. Striking photos of some beautiful fish, Sia Meng! Nicely done.
    Gee.. Actually I don’t much about photography. I do not have a photo tank and the only way to lure the fish out is by food. I notice that most killifish will fare at each other during and after feeding so whenever I want to take their picture, just feed.

This picture was taken when my wife fed them.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    This picture was taken when my wife fed them.
    Wow, Sia Meng, they certainly live up to their name: what a picture! Thanks for the tip

Bill Ruyle
    farang9

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Great pics, Sia Meng.

Bill who's moving to Thailand soon will be glad to know that from a few bags of eggs, all 3 strains (Gold, Orange and Chocolate) of the Aphyosemion australes have become very well established in Singapore. The eggs were originally from Karl Walters of Canada.

Bill, let's keep our fingers crossed the ZII hatch in good numbers. Once they are established here, there wouldn't be any problems sending the eggs to you when you're in Thailand.

Loh K L

Feedback Score

AUS gold

Thanks, KL, I'll keep my fingers crossed I've talked to Karl once on the
    phone, but never placed an order. Glad to know there's another one that
    doesn't mind shipping past the Pacific Rim. Forgot to tell you that I chatted
    with Dave Wood (via MSN messenger) yesterday, and he says "hello."

I'm trying to remember what it was I called Karl about, I'm thinking it was
    availability of Apl. linneatus (wild) not the golds. Does anyone stock the wild lin, not the sport? Curious. Another fave of mind, easy and prolific.

Regards,

Bill Ruyle
    farang9

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: AUS gold

Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    Does anyone stock the wild lin, not the sport? Curious. Another fave of mind, easy and prolific.
    Bill,

I don't have the fish you like but I have a species of Aplocheilus that hasn't been identified yet. Madan Subramaniam who lives in India hand-carried them to me when he came to Singapore a few months ago. They were caught from a pool somewhere near the River Cauvery, about 100 km from Bangalore.

Madan is sure it's a new species because he had an expert with him then. Tony Pinto said he's never seen such a Killie before. Madan gave me 3 pairs and I let them breed naturally in my tanks. I've never collected eggs so I'm not sure about the incubation period and all. Here's a pic of the Aplocheilus:

The picture doesn't do justice to the fish. In real, the spots are more colourful. If you like this fish, I will try and pick some eggs for you. But no promises; I have to confess it's been a long time since I pick any eggs.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    ...will be glad to know that from a few bags of eggs, all 3 strains (Gold, Orange and Chocolate) of the Aphyosemion australes have become very well established in Singapore.
    Kwek Leong, fyi, I've discontinued both the AUS Chocolate and Orange lines, and now working with 2 populations; the BSWG 97/24 'Cape Gentil' and EBT 96/27 'Cape Esterias'. Perhaps you'd like to straighten out the Orange morphs?

Bill, let's keep our fingers crossed the ZII hatch in good numbers.
    I was keeping quiet on the ZII as there was nothing to report back... which ain't good! Happy to say now that there're at least 10 frys this morning... WHEW!!! (another reason why I was late for work!!)

Still fussing over the ZII page but should be ready for preview soon... just be patient, I have only 24hrs in a day :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: AUS gold

Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    I'm thinking it was availability of Apl. linneatus (wild) not the golds. Does anyone stock the wild lin, not the sport? Curious.
    Sorry to disappoint... no wild Aplo. linneatus but there's always Aplochelius panchax and Aplochelius kirchmayeri, if that satisfies your curiousity :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie wrote:
    I was keeping quiet on the ZII as there was nothing to report back... which ain't good! Happy to say now that there're at least 10 frys this morning... WHEW!!! (another reason why I was late for work!!)

Still fussing over the ZII page but should be ready for preview soon... just be patient, I have only 24hrs in a day :wink:
    That is great news Ron! Hopefully a few more might "pop out." On the
    Apl's offered, I think I will wait till I get to Thailand before getting them. So
    noboby has Lin over there, huh? Gold or otherwise....will have to remedy that. They do like at least a 3 foot tank ( had 4 in a 2 foot tank and they made it look pretty small due to their swimming habits of zooming
    back and forth). They are perhaps the most avid eaters I've ever seen...
    this includes any fry left in their tank! Easy to breed, eggs easy to see,
    great beginner's fish and when the sun hits either the wild strain or the gold
    it's quite a sight!

Good luck KL and Ron, with raising the ZII babies! Let's see, that's 5 apiece
    you might have a pair and a trio each!

Bill
    farang9

Feedback Score

Aus Gold

Sia Meng, my apologies. I have strayed from your thread

I believe I hear the forum police knocking on my door

Bill
    farang9