Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Xmas Moss

Xmas Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everybody,

My question is regarding the revival of brownish moss. I had an entire wall in my 29 gal started but it never did any growth and browned. My outdoor tank does the best with Xmas because the temperature is so low. I don't wish to lose all of that moss, so i have transfered it to a new tank, 20 low in the back yard. Any chances of this reviving in still water? shaded, no direct sunlight? At this point would light actually do damage to the moss? I've never been able to grow moss in still water but that was indoors, and Mr. Loh I remember a post about you having moss all over the place in containers not dying, but did it actually grow?

Thank you so very much :wink:
    D.S.

I have checked on my erect moss, I left in my yard tank with my 2 orandas and surprisingly all has started new growth. This moss was fully browned out and ALGAE INFESTED, all i did was strip it off and tied it to a new wood and transferred it to my freezing water tank. The new growth is slow but its spectacular to see it revive from the state that it was in, believe me it was bad.

Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dennis,

It's good to know your moss is enjoying a revival in your backyard. I'm sorry I didn't answer your question earlier but the mosses that I leave in the plastic containers in my balcony do not really grow. But they don't die either.

Quite a few hobbyists have reported that their mosses turn brown although the water in their tanks is quite cold so I don't really know if temperature is the all-important factor. I used to but I suspect now that there could be other reasons mosses die besides high temperatures. It could be due to over-fertilising, I think as mosses need very little fertiliser.

A friend sent a pic of her Erect Moss to me today. Lily isn't very much into aquatic plants so she knows nuts about things like Ph or Kh. Despite that, her mosses are growing very well. Here's the picture of her Erect Moss:

Loh K L

Hi,

No problem, I'm sure your very busy. I've noticed though that all moss has an amazing reviving capability. Remember my giant driftwood of singapore moss, well that all died out and i just left it in my tank for maybe an estimate of two months hoping it would revive. I transferred it to my backyard tank and its been 3 days now and already new green tips are coming out. I think bio filtration set up and good nitrates might be important, because all my tanks with fish and bio set up do well, without any fertilizer at all could be....

Thanks,
    Dennis