Country
    Singapore

Wild Singapore Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Subzero aka Ben who with Choy Heng Wah was the first person to discover the Singapore Moss growing in the wild brought me to a stream this morning.
    I'm not at liberty to reveal the location of the stream as I'm sworn to secrecy. I hope you can understand why.

There were many places along the stream where the Singapore Moss was growing beautifully. In other places in Singapore where the Moss is found, they were mostly growing emersed. But in the stream, most were submersed. Here are some pics:

In submersed form, the triangular shapes of the fronds are very distinct.

A bunch which was growing right in the middle of the stream.

We also found some Moss growing emersed on a fallen tree trunk on the banks of the stream.

A close-up pic of the emersed frond.

Many were clinging to rocks on the sides of the stream.

Knowing how enterprising and resourceful my fellow Singaporeans are, I'm sure many would eventually find out the location of the stream. I only hope that when they do find this stream, they will not raid the whole place and strip it bare. Please don't be a cheapo. There's really no reason why you should take the Singapore Moss from the wild when it's easily available in many fish shops.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi KL, is this Singapore moss a native species that is found only here? Are Subzero and Choy really the first people who discovered this moss?

Jason Wong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been to the stream too. The Singapore moss there grows so well it looks like Taiwan Moss ! It must be due to the cold and clean stream water !

Quote Originally Posted by wks
    Hi KL, is this Singapore moss a native species that is found only here? Are Subzero and Choy really the first people who discovered this moss?
    Jason Wong
    Jason,
    'Singapore Moss' can be found in many countries in Asia including Thailand and China.

I think KL meant they were the first amongst us to 'discover' the moss growing in the wild in Singapore, not the first person to discover Singapore Moss ;-) The original type specimen was discovered/described before I was born !

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry, subzero found the moss growing submersed, I only kaypo to popularise it (by giving it away, hee hee)
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    I am sure there are others in Singapore who might have come across Submersed 'Singapore moss'. Just that they did not bring it up in the forum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I am sure there are others in Singapore who might have come across Submersed 'Singapore moss'. Just that they did not bring it up in the forum.
    Well, not everyone will share what they have discovered so you and Choy deserves a lot of credit for bringing the moss to our attention. Choy can be quite a kaypoh (Hokkien for busybody) but I wish we have more like him around.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I have updated the picture which i mistaken it as Singapore Moss

Here's the correct one

To see full size image, go to http://www.hexazona.com/photos/SingaporeMoss.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey Ben, nice pics man, except the top right pic need a little trimming. maybe we should make a small write-up (after Prof Tan publishes the paper and confirm the species) at the bottom and make it into a poster for people to download. swee swee
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I have updated the picture which i mistaken it as Singapore Moss

Here's the correct one

To see full size image, go to http://www.hexazona.com/photos/SingaporeMoss.jpg
    Ben,
    I think the top-right one is not Singapore Moss. Looks more like a Fissidens sp. to me.

Feedback Score
    I agree to Gan that the moss is not Singapore moss emerse.
    I have collected some from the wild, it has longer leaves...

- Foo Lee
    Best Regards,
    Teh FL