Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

new to killies...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i got myself a pair of killies from a lfs last weekend, never know they can be so beautiful. but i knda need help here, can u guys reccomend some good killies website for newbies to read up? do they need air pump driven tanks? or can i jus keep them in bigger containers like the way we keep betta? thanks.... pls advise...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: new to killies...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinmo
    but i knda need help here...or can i jus keep them in bigger containers... pls advise...
    Chinmo,

Welcome to the forum. For a start, please read & apply the house rules. You need to spell your words in full. Many of the folks here can't understand sms language hence will ignore your post. Do sign your real name as well.
    "can u guys reccomend some good killies website for newbies to read up?"
    - You are reading one . Check out www.killies.com. Tell us what species you got & if you intend to breed them. Normally, we put our killies in species tank with a sponge filter driven by air pump at low bubble rate. You can of course put them in a planted tank if you just want to enjoy their beauty. Their colour will normally show better in planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello turaco, sorry about the sms language.... i got this pair of n.rubripinnis.. Yes i do intend to breed them.... it's the interesting part of any pet keeping so i need to supply air to the tanks they live rite? will those medium size guppys tank be enough for a pair of killies? please advise...

Tevin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tevin, for nothobranchius species, these do better with only mild aeration from a sponge filter. Strong current tend to make them feel stressed but are tolerant to tank size. The medium plastic tank will do fine for a trio, ie. 1 male + 2 females.

I tend to agree that breeding fishes is fun, but picking on non-complying members is not.

That said, I suggest you look up the 'sticky posts' that expect every member to abide by, even when the 'Caps Lock' button on your keyboard don't work.

Go through the postings from other members and I'm sure you'll realise how different yours is.

There is no prejudice in this instance and I expect posting compliance from all members.

Have a nice evening.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys, have another question, How to soften the water?

i read up abit that some killies need soft water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tevin,
    'Peat tea' is brewed from soaking and straining the tannic water from peat, which can be used to 'soften' the water (lower the pH) but not all killies require soft water.

Most aphyosemions and non-annuals will also do well in water with ketapang-leave tea. Nothobranchius and annual species will do better with some added salt, as they're prone to Velvet infections.

It all depends on which species you wish to maintain.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

will those black water from lfs work? cause i may not have the time to collect ketapang leaves...

have another question, those peat moss use for breeding killies can be brought at plant nursery right? any brand to recommend? will the peat contain fertilizer?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tevin,
    Blackwater seems to calm down skittish fishes but it is optional. Most of the time, I keep my water at neutral, be it for Aphyosemions or Simpsonichthys.

I've not tried every available peat but Jiffy peat pellets and Horti Peat Moss works for me. Regardless of which you use, the peat needs a good boil to rid excess 'junk' and/or bugs that you can't see.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

Thanks for the advice and tips, still got alot to learn from all the killies lover here in future....

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tevin,

If you're looking for Horti Peat Moss, these are 2 nurseries that sells it.

Goodwood Landscape Construction
    565 Thomson Road
    Singapore 298184
    Tel: 6255 2266

Environ-scape Services
    No 14 Hougang Floral Centre
    Tampines Road
    Singapore 535067
    Tel: 6382 3363

Goodwood is at the foot of Caldecott Hill and Environ-scape is near to Hougang bus interchange.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tevin,

Horti Peat Moss is easily available in all NTUC outlets. Remember it's Horti Peat Moss not Horti Peat Mix :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks timebomb and Au SL, will go look for the peat moss this weekend....