Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weeping moss

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I guess each individual values different plants/fishes differently, so perhaps it's down to the satisfaction of the consumer upon purschasing the plant/fish?

Eg: I just bought a number of taiwan moss fronds and a downnoi for S$40 recently. To me it's value for money but my girlfriend almost killed me (so I really think it's different people, different values... hope she's not reading this).

cheers
    Wei Leong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnut
    I guess each individual values different plants/fishes differently, so perhaps it's down to the satisfaction of the consumer upon purschasing the plant/fish?

Eg: I just bought a number of taiwan moss fronds and a downnoi for S$40 recently. To me it's value for money but my girlfriend almost killed me (so I really think it's different people, different values... hope she's not reading this).

cheers
    hahaha !!! well said there brother !!!

mervin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mervin
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnut

cheers
    hahaha !!! well said there brother !!!

mervin
    Agree. As long as you feel it is value for money and don't regret a few days later ;-) go for it !

However, with some much interests in mosses, I am sure any mosses that cost >S$100 now will cost <S$20 in 3~4 months time.

I believe the Taiwan Moss that is appering in Singapore LFSs comes from the same supplier. Lake Aquarium told me he got his from the same supplier as Mermaid. It seems Taiwan Moss is not in short supply in Taiwan so it is a matter of time before this supplier start selling his moss to more LFSs in Singapore. So if you can wait, you will be able to get Taiwan Moss at the price of Erect Moss in a few months time !

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The value of a moss is in the eyes of a moss-lover

There's nothing crazy about paying more than a hundred dollars for a moss if it's a rare specimen. If I didn't already have the Taiwan Moss, I would have probably bought the piece of driftwood Yandy owns now. The market value of anything depends on supply and demand. When supply is low and demand is high, prices naturally go up. Those who bought LuoHans at prices of thousands of dollars were conned because in that case, the supply was practically unlimited. LuoHans breed like crazy so there's absolutely no reason why the fish should be priced in the regions of thousands of dollars. It was just very good marketing on the part of the guys driving the LuoHan craze. Just like what happened when McDonalds launched the series of soft toys- Thousands of people queued for more than 24 hours just to buy soft toys that are probably worth nothing now. If you ask me, that's crazy.

Mr Teo of Teo's Aquatic Plant farm told me himself that he has, on many occasions, paid very high prices for rare plants. When I gave him his first Downoi, he wanted to have more so he contacted his supplier in Thailand. The supplier quoted him a figure of Sing $35 for one stalk.

What Gan said about prices falling over time is true but then again, there's always a desire to be among the first to own the rare plants. If you're the patient type, you can wait for the prices to come down but the kick you get out of being among the first is hard to beat. I understand the feeling perfectly because on many occasions, there were plants in my tank that even Oriental does not have.

Anyway, if you think paying more than a hundred dollars for a moss is crazy, l like to remind you that a few years ago, I paid $50 for a pack of Riccia fluitans about the size of a child's palm. The plant is so cheap and common now people throw it away. But in those days, Riccia was hard to find and only one fish shop sells it. I bet if you're a Riccia lover, you won't wait until it's so common and worthless before buying the plant. There will be no kick then.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Loh,

Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning in your posts. Nevertheless, it does not really matter. =)

I am not sure where Capricon is except it is somewhere near Pasir Ris. But I think fishnut's description hit the nail on the address in his post:

"The shop that's selling the taiwan moss in the Pasir Ris farm is adjoined to CAPRICORN Aquarium aka 'Ah Pek' at No. 33, Pasir Ris Farmway 2, Singapore 510000. "

The shop is at Pasir Ris farmway and it is a small shop adjacent to another shop that has a small plot of land for cultivating plant. The shop is actually situated together with a few other shops or units whose merchandise vary from marine fishes to kois. Another prominent feature is that "stupid" and redundant basketball post in the parking area. It is obscure from view if there are many cars parking around and you are they for the very first time. My dad's van suffered a dent no thanks to that "@#$!%$%" post!!!

So look out for that post if any of you make a trip down.

Cheers!

Kar Hwee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12