Weeping moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi good news for those who are looking weeping moss
    , i found one shop selling it.

mermaid , blk 443 amk ave 10

the shop is now taking order for more weeping moss.

Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi...

can i have their contact number?

thanks... :wink:

Izzat
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chee Yong,
    Are you sure it is Weeping Moss ? Or is this an April Fool's joke ?

Gan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi , this is not a april fool's joke
    i just went down tonight to take a look at the weeping moss stock that came in.
    this is not a joke.

so people out there looking for weeping moss can go and take a look.

cheers
    chee yong

Feedback Score
    So is it really weeping moss? I hope someone can confirm it. I am getting for a close friend in US so I do not wish to send the wrong moss.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    so anyone can confirm if it the real weeping moss ? after the moss news in here i need a confirmation to be dare to take it as the real one , so anyone who has bought it checked it ? i remember reading in the "Oriental topic" that it take a while to develop the weeping pattern in new tank
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sia Meng, Alan,

I haven't been to Mermaid for a while so I don't know for sure if they have the "Weeping Moss" for sale now. But even if I were to go down to the shop, it is highly unlikely I can make a positive identification. Mosses are difficult to tell apart, especially when they are not grown well. Without a microscope, even the Professor can't tell one moss from another.

Gan told me the other day that a shop in the West Coast area is selling Taiwan Moss. I dropped over at the shop last Friday but couldn't see anything that even remotely resemble Taiwan Moss. When I asked, the shop assistant pointed me to a bucket on the floor that contained some mosses. He said it was Taiwan but when I examined it closely, it looked like Singapore Moss to me. I can't confirm though. As I've said, it's very difficult to tell one moss from another. If there's anything about mosses that is certain, it is that no local fish shop is selling the genuine Willow Moss.

I would say, however, that the owner of Mermaid fish shop seems to be much more interested in mosses than most other fish shop owners. He has the genuine Taiwan Moss and he grows them beautifully. If he claims he also has Weeping Moss, I would say, in all likelihood, his claim is genuine. Some fish shop owners can't even differentiate a moss from a hole in the ground

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    . If there's anything about mosses that is certain, it is that no local fish shop is selling the genuine Willow Moss.

Loh K L
    Hello Loh,

If what you say is true.....what are those moss that Nature Aquarium is selling ????

Chan claims that his moss is Willow Moss.

Mervin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Gan told me the other day that a shop in the West Coast area is selling Taiwan Moss. I dropped over at the shop last Friday but couldn't see anything that even remotely resemble Taiwan Moss. When I asked, the shop assistant pointed me to a bucket on the floor that contained some mosses. He said it was Taiwan but when I examined it closely, it looked like Singapore Moss to me.
    KL,
    The Malay guy is not the owner. He pointed me to the same bucket when I asked him about Taiwan Moss. Both of us know that is not Taiwan Moss ;-) The real Taiwan Moss is tied to a mesh (moss wall) in a 20" display tank sitting at eye level on an Ikea shelf at the rear entrace of the shop, beside the escalator

I would say, however, that the owner of Mermaid fish shop seems to be much more interested in mosses than most other fish shop owners. He has the genuine Taiwan Moss and he grows them beautifully. If he claims he also has Weeping Moss, I would say, in all likelihood, his claim is genuine.
    The fact that 'Weeping Moss' is a name coined by Oriental for a species of moss which they have not started selling, and ony a few people have seen the real 'Weeping Moss' and know its scientic name, makes me suspicious of any claims of having Weeping Moss.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Loh!

I have not seen Taiwan moss before except that time at Yandy's place which I failed to examine it closely. A search through the net for a picture was fruitless. But yesterday, I went to one LFS at Pasir Ris and saw a shop with a tankful of unique moss. The moss was light green in color and looks similar to xmas moss with its triangular fronds. It looks like a cross between a java moss and xmas moss but definitely is not either of them. The owner, a lady(with her 2 small doggies) told me it was Taiwan moss and the price for a small piece of bogwood costs almost $100. As for the larger ones, they are not for sale. Do you have any idea about this? I read from your posts that Mermaid is the only place here so far that sells Taiwan moss. I am just wondering if you have ever come across this shop in Pasir Ris farmway before.

Cheers!

Kar Hwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mervin
    If what you say is true.....what are those moss that Nature Aquarium is selling ????Chan claims that his moss is Willow Moss.
    Mervin,

Chan's a nice guy. He's friendly and honest in his business dealings but with all due respect to him, I have to say he got the name of his moss wrong. What he has in his tanks are not Willow Mosses. I know because I have the genuine ones in my tanks. I don't think Chan is trying to con anyone. Neither do I think he's misleading the market. Mosses are notoriously hard to identify and if had not been for the Prof, we wouldn't have known either. Probably, Chan got the name from his supplier who just as probably, didn't know either.

Here's a picture of the genuine Willow Moss - scientific name, Fontinalis antipyretica

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kadios
    I read from your posts that Mermaid is the only place here so far that sells Taiwan moss.
    Did I really say that? Or did I say Mermaid is the only place I know that sells the genuine Taiwan Moss?

Kar Hwee, I can't remember what I wrote. But if I had misled you into thinking that Mermaid is the only shop that sells genuine Taiwan Moss, I apologise. It is the only shop I know but that does not mean it's the only shop. I have not visited all the fish shops in Singapore and even if I had, I can't be sure if their Taiwan Mosses are the genuine McKoys.

If you think what you saw in Pasir Ris is the genuine Taiwan Moss, please let us have the address. I wouldn't mind dropping over to take a look if I can find the time.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well the Singapore moss grown well in cold water also resembles Christmas moss, with paler green and softer texture. They would really be hard to tell apart without a microscope and the Prof.

On the other hand, we probably should focus on growing them well rather than worrying which species it is, for the key to a beautiful moss seems to be more in growing condition than species.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    The real Taiwan Moss is tied to a mesh (moss wall) in a 20" display tank sitting at eye level on an Ikea shelf at the rear entrace of the shop, beside the escalator
    Gan, I must have missed that tank. When the shop assistant said what was in the bucket is Taiwan Moss, I was so disapointed I didn't stay longer to take a closer look at the other tanks.

To help you guys identify the genuine Weeping Moss, here's a picture:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    On the other hand, we probably should focus on growing them well rather than worrying which species it is, for the key to a beautiful moss seems to be more in growing condition than species.
    Well said, Choy but on the other hand, we shouldn't discount hobbyists' desires to own the more beautiful and exotic mosses in the market. I would say, if you can't grow the common ones well, don't waste your money buying the rare ones. Start with Singapore Moss; it's everywhere and free.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, well said too :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was at Lake Aquarium few weeks ago after meeting with Gan. A conversation with the Chinese guy (owner???) lead me to asking him about Taiwan moss. My intention was to find out if any shop, other than Mermaid, is selling true Taiwan moss at cheaper price so that more hobbyiests can affort growing it in their tank. I was quite shock that the owner did not even know the existance of Taiwan moss!!! He pointed few types of moss, from java to erect to xmass, & ask me if any one is the Taiwan moss that I was mentioning. A while later, I saw the moss wall on the display tank near to the enterance. I pointed to him that the Taiwan moss that I have look like that partucular one. He declined to sell to me when I wanted to buy some of it.
    Well, if the moss wall that look like Taiwan moss is still in the display tank, I doubt they have the intention to sell it. Looks like the shop is selling the moss in the bucket & insisted it as Taiwan moss. From the price they are selling as feedback by someone in another forum (as cheap as erect & xmass moss), looks like we need some sample of it for prof Tan to confirm its true indentity.

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    Mr Loh,

The shop that's selling the taiwan moss in the Pasir Ris farm is adjoined to CAPRICORN Aquarium aka 'Ah Pek' at No. 33, Pasir Ris Farmway 2, Singapore 510000.

Just found out that the shop (I'm not too sure about it's name) doesn't belong to 'Ah Pek', they are just neighbours. The taiwan moss is found in a 4-foot (if I'm not wrong) display tank run with a chiller. Hope the infomation helps.

IMHO, I do think that they're selling taiwan moss. Looks like the ones I saw at Mermaid, just larger in terms of quantity.

PS: I hope I'm not confusing anyone by giving 'Ah Pek' address to lead him/ her to the shop. :wink:

cheers
    Wei Leong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    S$100 to 200 for moss is really sound crazy to me. To me, I don't really care if the moss is pointing upward and downward. Some of the mosses are unique to me, eg: stringy moss but that simply don't justified the price tagged onto it. To be frank, when I read that people willing to spend hundreds on the moss, it recalled what I felt when I saw the S$20,000 Louhan displayed in Rainbow.

I apologise to anyone who feels that my post is offensive. Above is just my personal opinion, no hard feeling.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Poh San, I have to agree with you. Buying moss at a price $100 & above sounds crazy. It was crazy enough for me to buy Taiwan moss on small driftwood for $220. But, without buying & having any Taiwan moss in my tank after knowing its beauty, I will become even crazier!!! Hahaha

Regards,
    Yandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast