Hi, folks,

Someone sent me these questions through private message. I'm posting them here in the hope that some of you can help out with the answers.

I was also wondering where it would be possible for me to get the only killie species found locally you guys often discuss in this forum? Is it a difficult species? What are the general requirements for them to thrive and breed?

Finally, I actually purchased a couple of ANN-As from Chong (F&F) and I kept them seperately in a different tank. They were still juveniles then but have grown considerably since. The tails are starting to show colour and the blue eyes are really pretty. Been feeding them with frozen bloodworms all these while, of which they happily consumed. I'm concerned with the fact that its recommended that we should try to maintain a variety of foods for the killies. Bought a packet of tubifex worms and I disinfect them as you had instructed in your article under "Interesting posts". Realised that the ANNs did not respond very well to the new food. Could it be that they've gotten used to bloodworms? So how do you think I should take it from here?

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions all at one go. Got many more burning ones from where they come from. So much to learn about killies and so little time!
Thanks!
I don't mind the questions but I think it would be good if the newbies ask them in the forum instead of through private email. The private email function should be used only for private messages. If the questions are of general interest to other killifish enthusiasts, they should be posted to the forum.

The Aplocheilus panchax, the Killifish that is native to Singapore, should be an easy species to maintain. I don't know if any fish shop sells them but I think it should be quite easy to catch some from the streams around the reservoirs. Take note though that it's illegal to catch fish in the nature reserves.

As for the ANNs that you bought, I'm not sure why they would prefer frozen bloodworms over live tubifex but it could be they are not used to their new diet. I'm not sure if its true for Killies but I know that fish like Discus and Angelfish will not eat tubifex if they were fed with live bloodworms all the time. It could be also you used too much antiseptic mouthwash to disinfect the worms so the smell may be a bit too strong for the fish's liking.

I wouldn't worry about providing a variety of foods to the fish if you are already feeding them with live food. Many killifish breeders use a variety of live foods but I don't think the fish really care about being served with something special each day. Fish are not the same as humans. We can't eat the same thing everyday but fish can. Many of us "live to eat" but for fish, its mostly "eat to live" :wink:.

Loh K L