Country
    Singapore

DIY T5 lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I just completed my T5 lighting fixture with the help of Barbarik. Wanted to share my pics with everyone.

Lights on.

Lights off

Casing.

Another view of casing with lights on.

For those who are not familiar, T5 is a type of flourescent light. The normal FL lights we use at home are either T8 or T12. The number refers to the diameter (or radius? I forgot) in mm of the tube. The PL lights we commonly use in aquaria in Singapore is T4 or T5 (I'm not too sure).

The difference between T5 and PL is that the tube is not bent and gives uniform coverage throughout the tank. Heat wise, it's hot to the touch but doesn't heat up the water as it dissipates very fast into the air. Marine enthusiasts supposedly swear by it, saying it generates much stronger intensity than PL and is a close substitute to Metal Halides. Well, I've not had the chance to compare it side-by-side to a PL set.

fyi, my fixture is 6x55W for a 4foot tank, split into 3 tubes in each casing.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I only see red 'x' ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure what is the problem. Hosted the pic on Imagestation. I thought there's no bandwidth limit on Imagestation, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I posted the same pics on AQ
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=16177

Or go direct to my Imagestation album
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290164439
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    T5 is actually a type of high output (HO) flourescent light. High Output, because, given the same length & at a smaller diameter, T5 can give you a much higher power output as compared to the normal FL light. T4, T5 , T8 ect.. refer to the diameter over 8th of an inch. For example, T5, is actually 5/8 of an inch. T4 is 4/8 (half) of an inch. Our normal HDB corridor FL light is T8. It is 8/8 of an inch. In other words, it is an inch in diameter!

T5 gives a slightly higer heat radiation than FL or even PL. The reason is that, it uses a diffent type of electronic ballast specially for T5. This ballast will blast the the tube to its maximum capability. During the initial switching on of power, the ballast will not fully blast the light. This is to prevent the light from malfunction & to give the light a longer life span. Instead, the ballast will slowly warm start the light to its maximum output at a time interval between 1 to 3 seconds. That is why you will notice the light up from dim to the brightest between these time interval.

Boon Yong, since you have been using it for quite a while, why not give us some observations to the plant growth/health when using T5? If your review is good, I might consider (some forumers might too) switching to T5 instead. :wink:

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    I started T5's on my tank last year and I love them! They are able to penetrate the water through my tank(2' high). The plants love them but I still have not seen their effect with Co2.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, my red plants are very red and my plants are bubbling like nobody's business. I certainly have no problems with them. So far all the plants are doing well, with perhaps the exception of my rotola macrandra, which is taking a long time to change from emersed to submersed form. But I suspect that's the plants nature, nothing to do with the lights.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaigar
    They are able to penetrate the water through my tank(2' high). The plants love them but I still have not seen their effect with Co2.
    mmm...you really should inject CO2. The plants will do very well. Especially since you're using such high intensity lights, no CO2 might just invite algae attacks. But hey, I don't hear you complaining... maybe you have some secret anti-algae formulae you're not sharing with the rest of us!
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Actually, I tried dosing fertilizers a few times while my tank was barely planted(slightly is still) and I got green water fast! The situation has gotten a bit better since my hygros have started to develop. My plants are still suffering from lack of potassium so I am very tempted dose again!

The algae is under control now, but it is still takes over the weak leaves. My Crypts are fairing well against it alteast. I have to fully agree with you, pressurized CO2 would complement these lights very well.

Have you found any difference with lamp brands/types? I am using four 4' 28watt daylight(6500k) lamp from a company called Envirolites(7.50CAD each!). They are running on a WorkHorse7 so they are being overdriven a bit, I actually burnt out one lamp because of bad wiring. These lamps are cheap but have worked very well for me. I just could never see myself paying $50 for those special aquarium lamps I always see at pet stores.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boon Yong, where you get the casing? And what length does the tubes come in?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Boon Yong, where you get the casing? And what length does the tubes come in?
    Casing is Ocean Free brand. I didn't actually buy just the casing. In fact, I got the original FL set, with ballast and tubes and all. Got it from PolyArt at ~$50 (plus minus a little) each. You can get it from any other place as well.

The tubes come in standard 3ft and 4ft length, as far as I know. Watch out, they are really 4ft in length, not 3.9 ft or shorter. So your casing will have to accomodate the whole 4ft tube. Most 4ft casings only accomodate 3ft FL tubes, even though they're meant for 4ft tanks. Of course, fitting PLs are no problems at all due to their bent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaigar
    Have you found any difference with lamp brands/types? I am using four 4' 28watt daylight(6500k) lamp from a company called Envirolites(7.50CAD each!). They are running on a WorkHorse7 so they are being overdriven a bit, I actually burnt out one lamp because of bad wiring.
    I've not tried with other types. I'm using Osram brand, daylight (I think should be 6500k). Tubes set me back ~$12 each, running on Osram e-ballast. Take note that to optimise, the e-ballast is specially made for T5. I understand Elbiru e-ballast can drive T5s too but not so sure about performance. The ballast is the expensive item. My source is a bit pricey, so better for everyone to source your own. Most likely cheaper
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Osram PL & T5 tubes have a maximum colour rating of 6000K.
    Boon Yong, the tubes & eballast that you bought is from Osram exclusive distributor.
    Since you get them from Osram's exclusive distributor, I doubt you can get a lower price elsewhere. Anyway, happy aquascaping!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice one. I had been think of this but I never knew that there is sure lamp.

Do you have the supplier's address and contact number?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got it from www.pentalighting.com. Check out their site for the exact address but I remember it's in AMK Industrial Park 2.

No guarantee that it's the best price anywhere in SG. Up to everyone to find out.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong