Country
    Singapore

ID this glosso-like plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

got this plant from a friend. Looks like glosso but is definitely not glosso. Searched Oriental's catalouge but didn't see anything close to it.

Pardon the poor macro pics. The camera keeps focusing on the background gravel instead of the plant itself, hence the out of focus look. Not very good with my photography, hee hee :P
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a Marsilea species, probably crenata. It's an aquatic fern, spreads much more slowly compared to glosso and doesn't need much light or CO2. LFS usually stock the emmersed form, which has four-leaf clover-like foliage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is what Marsilea Crenata looks like (ripped off the net, not my pic).

From this pic, I can see the 4 leaf clove pattern very clearly.

My plant doesn't have this 4 leaf pattern at all. Maybe because it's emersed form? I'm not sure.

By the way, I have Marsilea Hirsuta. Just got it. Very interesting looks I must say.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    boon yong, your 2nd picture shows the emmersed form of Marsilea. This will change into the form shown in your first picture when it is grown underwater. There are several species of Marsilea, and like mosses, you really need to be a botanist to differentiate them as their submerged forms are similar. Out of water, however, Marsilea quadrifolia (you can find it at Teo's) is readily recognised as it reaches over a foot high, compared to Marsilea crenata and M. hirsuta which are much smaller.