Country
    Singapore

what's the best filter medium?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I cant seem to get a very clear water in my tank even after cleaning/changing the filter medium. I still have small particles "cruising/swimming" in my tank. Am currently using a Eheim 2215 for my 3X2X2 ft tank. now the tank is moderately infested by green algaes. Had cut my light and COČ supplys for a week and the algae was gone but when I switch them back on, algae seems to appear again.

Back to my question, what filter medium should I use best to remove those small particles. Filter medium currently use are bio rings, sponge, ehfi substrat, sponge,sera super peat, filter wool. cleaned every 3 months
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score

:)

Chemical wool is cost effective for the mechanical filteration of particles,
    but the diatom filter is the best for the green algae bloom.
    If you already have an experience about the sediment filter for your tab water,
    one or two "pre-fliter" units and a small pressure pump will be a great help, instead.

(You can also use UV, very small amount of copper or algae-herbicide(?) not to damage your fish,
    alleopathic extracts such as phyton-git or something else, etc, in addition. )

Anyway, you must get rid off extra nutrients for the algae first, with heavy water
    changes and some carbon filter. You can reduce it by plantting more
    stem or flotting plants to absorb more nutrients and screen the lights.

Once the balance is re-achieved, the green algae bloom will be disapear soon.
    But it's going to be a long way...

(Because, the waterplants are also influenced by them...)
    T.H. Kim

"Oh, God, thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small..."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rashid,

I have the following suggestions:
    1) direct the filter outlet such that it is at mid height (or slightly higher). Let the flow travel along the back wall. This will create a gentle stir and encorage particles to settle down to tank's bed.
    2) there is nothing wrong with the filter media used. However, adding fine floss at the last filteration stage (top layer) helps.
    3) use of UV lamp which has floculating property.
    4) use of floculant like Ocena Free's Green Away

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Freddy and Felixe...

I guess I got to be busy this weekend....
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer