Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OFF-TOPIC: survey for school project.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Deborah, it's never too late to share.

I think I've not extend you the welcome to the forum but can see you having fun here and it's great to have you as part of our cyber 'family'.

That said, most of the regulars here will know me as 'absolute idiot' when it comes to recognising a Ketapang tree and having to rely on them for 'leaf donations'.

Blessed am I that 'Someone up there' loves me and had gotten the local council to plant 5 such trees behind my residential block. Yea, even though these are young trees, I now know what they look like! [did I say that the fallen leaves are free for the picking?]

I've been using a fair bit of these and what I collect (before the sweeper tidy the area) is more than I can use, so drop me an email if you need any.

Off-topic: I resided in 2 of 5 NYC's borough and visited the Bronx a fair bit, which in the early '80s, was a pretty rough neighbourhood! Some of my friends from Queens moved over to North Carolina in the '90s... if only their address had survived the great PC Crash
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Sorry guys,

Was busy with some others setup for myself in the net.

Yes it possible to upload pdf here just email me I will put it up immediately.

Best Regards

Feedback Score
    Hello RonWill -- thank you for the kind offer and welcome! I was sort of lucky when I lived in the Bronx -- I lived in the north end, in the more "Italian" area (Morris Park Avenue). I walked to work -- which was an incredibly great convenience especially in bad weather (here in NC I have to take my vacation days in bad weather plus our power always goes out). Still, I was most often quite frightened walking in the late afternoon. Always felt I had to be on my toes! It's much safer here, but not as safe as one would think living in the "country."

What a shame you lost the info of your friends in NC I wonder if you can do a Google search and find them?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
    Oh! I'm too late! I LOVE Indian Almond leaves and I am fully convinced of their value. I've also read studies in which it is being considered/tested for Sickle Cell disease in humans as well as liver ailments. I do not find it only used for acidifying the water. In my humble experience, I've used it in my shrimp tank (Crystal Red Bee Shrimp) and my shrimp became "with eggs" within several days of being introduced to the Ketapang water. I started by using the Ketapeat by Marc Weiss to soften my water, which was made unnaturally harder temporarily by the use of a plant substrate. Once I was convinced of it's benefit, I purchased two boxes of 50 "tea bags" (Indian Almond leaves made into tea bags for convenience). Although I only use one bag now for my 29 gallon shrimp tank every few water changes, not the one per ten gallon suggestion. I also every once in awhile use it for my 55 gallon community tank. I am absolutely convinced of it's usefulness for fertility and vitality of fish and shrimp.
    Hi Piscesgirl,

About sickle cell anaemia, usually folic acid is required in great amount as a supplement, in order to increase the production of normal haemoglogin cells, so to speak.

The ketapang leaves are supposed to contain a good amount of folic acids, besides other organic acids. So, I'm not surprised if researchers try to use it to treat blood related disorders.

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Thank you for that education, Kenny. Isn't it interesting how we still continue to turn back to plants for medicinal value even though the medical community continues to discredit such things as "herbal" medicine? (not saying herbal medicine is good or bad, just making an observation).
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Deborah,

Well, the medical fraternity did not understand how these herbs was supposed to be of medicinal value, and they were sceptical in the first place.

Modern medicine is more of evidence based, whereby scientific proof has to be obtained before the drug is proclaimed to have any therapeutic effect.

However, many traditional herbal medication is basically anecdotal, where many scientific evidence was lacking.

Not anymore, as now scientists all over the world are looking into these herbs, and as they conduct more researches to understand the pharmacokinetics of the substance found in them, more traditional herbs would be advocated in modern medical treatment.

In fact in Singapore, our local university has a department set up, conducting researches on the medicinal values of many Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM in short.

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Received the PDF file from kennedy and uploaded the report in PDF format to the forum and it is available in this url
    http://www.killies.com/ReportforRE.pdf

WOW, very well done report.

Best Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kho, thank you for helping me upload the file. Thank you to everyonel who responded to the survey. Feel free to give any comments, we will work on what needs to be improved.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You and your school mates did a good job with the report, Kennedy. I'm sure your teacher must be proud of you all. You're young but one day, you will be the old guy with all the answers .

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh mine,

Is that the standard of an average secondary school student? Wow, then I must start gearing my son up for school projects already, since he's already 3.5 yrs old!

Well done guys, it is a good start no doubt. Let me go through the papers this weekend and give you my thoughts on your experiment design and methodology. I wish I can give each and every of you a pat on the back.

As for now, I've already given a subject for my son to work on, it is titled " The Effects of Fluoridation on the Scales formation on the Asian Aowanas"!

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Wow, that's a big report! heh...I'm at work and I printed it out not realizing it was 88 pages
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003
    As for now, I've already given a subject for my son to work on, it is titled " The Effects of Fluoridation on the Scales formation on the Asian Aowanas"!
    Now you know what's being pressured feels like? Geez, if I were your kid, Kenny, I'll murder your Aworana

Loh K L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12