Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OFF-TOPIC: survey for school project.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

OFF-TOPIC: survey for school project.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I am Kennedy Ng from Raffles Institution. We are doing an experimental project and we hope sincerely that you would take some time off your busy schedule to complete this survey. Thank you very much. Moderators, I hope you would allow this, but if you don't then please don't hesitate to remove it.

Survey target: For users and people who have heard of the Ketapang/Indian Almond Leaf only

Hi, we are Teo Xuan Lang, Elton Yeo, Kennedy Ng and Aaron Teoh from class 2H of Raffles Institution and we are doing a project on the ‘Effect of Ketapang leaves on Freshwater Fishes’. We are now conducting a survey for users of the Ketapang/Indian Almond leaf or people who have heard of it. We really hope that you’ll participate.

1. Have you heard of the Ketapang/Indian Almond leaf before?
    Yes/No

2. Have you used the Ketapang/Indian Almond leaf before?
    Yes/No

3. Even if you have or have not used it, do you think its effective on all freshwater fishes. If no, why does it not affect all freshwater fishes and only a specific group.
    Yes/No

4. How much do you know about it?
    a) To a large extent
    b) Average
    c) To a small extent

5. Do you know the scientific reason behind its effectiveness?
    Yes/No

6. Do you think the leaf has good effects on the following fishes?
    a) Livebearers (we are using swordtails in our experiment) Yes/No/Don’t know
    b) Betta Splendens Yes/No/Don’t know
    c) Apistogramma apistogramma agassizi 'super red' Yes/No/Don’t know
    d) Tetra (we are using the serpae tetra) Yes/No/Don’t know

Thank you for participating in our survey!
    If there are any inquiries, please contact us at [email protected].

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's my answers.

1) Yes, I've heard of the ketapang leaf before.

2) Yes, I've used it before.

3) (This is a pretty ambiguous question. Kennedy, I think you should rephrase it in other ways.) My question to you would be, effective in what sense? Ketapang leaves don't work for ALL freshwater fishes.. (think African Rift Lake cichlids.. get it?)

4) To a large extent.

5) Yes, I do know the reason.

6) a) No.
    b) Yes.
    c) Yes.
    d) Yes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for your opinions, i edited it already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no, somefish just don't like what ketapang do to the water (like the Betta simplex from lime stone stream.
    4. b)
    5. Yes
    6. a) no b) yes c) yes d) yes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: OFF-TOPIC: survey for school project.

Quote Originally Posted by kennedy_ng
    Moderators, I hope you would allow this, but if you don't then please don't hesitate to remove it.
    Kennedy,

There's absolutely no reason why the moderators here would want to remove your post. You wrote in good English and you and your friends were sincere enough to reveal your names. I believe most of the forum members here would be glad to fill out your survey form. By the way, I think you should also ask those who are filling the form to indicate the country they are from. Hobbyists living in other countries would have a different take on Ketapang leaves. As far as I know, the Ketapang Tree is found only in the tropics.

Here are my answers:

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No because the environments which fish live in differs from species to species.
    4. b.
    5. I think it is because the Ketapang Leaves acidify the water. Also, it makes the water murkier which simulate the natural habitats of certain fish.
    6. a) No
    b) Yes
    c) Don't know
    d) No

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kennedy, I see nothing that's out of line. School projects are a good thing, especially 'fishy' ones, so here's my 2cents worth and good luck in compiling the results.

1. Yes
    2. Yes (and also in combination with Peat tea)
    3. Yes (but guppies and mollies don't seem to like it. Could be that water became too acidic)
    4. c) To a small extent
    5. No
    a) Livebearers - No
    b) Betta Splendens - Yes
    c) Apistogramma - Don’t know
    d) Tetra - Yes
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi Kennedy Ng & gang from class 2H of Raffles Institution,

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) I don't know how the Ketapang affect the water but I will use it when my fishes are uncomfortable after a change of water.
    4) C
    5) No, but I guess ketapang leave are used to bring down the ph level in the water.
    6) A – D Don’t know
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kennedy,

here's my reply :

1) Yes,
    2) No
    3) No, the freshwater fishes varies from softwater fishes to hardwater fishes. The effect of the ketapang leaves is to soften the water.
    4) b)
    5) No
    6) a) No
    b) Yes
    c) Yes
    d) Yes
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes

Yes

3. Even if you have or have not used it, do you think its effective on all freshwater fishes. If no, why does it not affect all freshwater fishes and only a specific group.
    No. It creates a soft acidic condition prevalent in rainforest streams, also known as blackwater streams (not really black but brown, and it is clear not murky). Some fishes lives in alkaline condition e.g. water fed from limesone formation and these do not like soft acidic conditions.

a) To a large extent

Yes (to be verified scientifically), the humic acid and other "natural goodness" simulates the natural water conditions found in streams that are covered by rainforest canopies, which has a thick leaf litter from the canopy above.

a) Livebearers (we are using swordtails in our experiment)
    No (but swordtails are bred on farms and may not be a good experimental subject as they are conditioned to farm water)

b) Betta Splendens
    Yes
    c) Apistogramma apistogramma agassizi 'super red'
    Yes - I think so
    d) Tetra (we are using the serpae tetra)
    Yes - most tetra comes from South American blackwater systems
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score

:)

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No - same as others
    4. b) organic acid + some doubtful herbal effect...
    5. Yes
    6. a) Don’t know
    b) Yes
    c) Yes
    d) Yes
    T.H. Kim

"Oh, God, thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small..."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes

Yes

This I am not so sure because ketapang leaves not only used to soften the water but it’s also use as a medicinal purposes. I have not use them on all freshwater fishes since all of the fish I rear are acidic based. Perhaps an experiment could be done if it were to be used on alkaline based fishes not to soften the water but as a medicinal remedy for sick or diseased sticken fishes.

a) To a large extent

Yes. My answer will be the same as others.

my answer to all a,b,c,d will be yes since ketapang leaves to me is used as medicinal purposes.
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Average
    5) Not really. (I wonder any scientist did a research on it?)
    6) Yes for all.

Feedback Score
    1.yes
    2.yes
    3 no, some fish do not like the acid in the leaves.
    4 b
    5 yes
    6 a) Livebearers.. if you have very soft water, then no
    b) Betta Splendens.. don't know
    c) Apistogramma apistogramma agassizi 'super red'.. don't know
    d) Tetra ..the tetras that I have black shirt,neon,bleeding heart,serpae ... yes
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks

Thanks to all who have helped in our survey! We have come out with our results: the ketapang leaves benefit the bettas, apistos and tetras in terms of breeding, health conditions, colours, etc. As for the swordtails, they have not been affected much as most know because it lives in hard water, while the leaves release folic acid to bring down the pH of the water. But the leaves have proven to be useful to these fish in a sense that they provide an alternate source of food and shelter.

Yep, that's it! Thanks a lot once again!

Feedback Score
    The leaves might lend a further benefit (like peat) by being a mild anti-bacterial/antifungal agent. This would directly help the eggs and yield
    higher hatchrates. This of course, wouldn't affect the hatchrates of livebearers.....I'm kidding

Bill

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: thanks

Dear all, for those who've chipped in their observations and comments to guide our young friends, I thank you. The time and effort you've spent in nuturing will make them wiser hobbyists in days to come (I hope :wink: ).

I received an email from Kennedy but unfortunately am not IT-versed to help. Kho, can you please check and see if it's possible to upload a PDF file either off-site or temporarily in our server?

Hi Ronnie,
    This is our completed project. As it is our first time, we felt that it would have something missing.

I hope you will be able to read it and tell us what are your thoughts. Zulkifli was interested in reading it too. He proposed to upload it to some sites and to share with the forum.

What do you think about this? Btw, do you know of any websites where we can upload our report to?

Regards,
    Kennedy Ng
    One comment about the attachment, "Report for RE(reseach education).pdf", I suspect, is completed with the latest Acrobat version. In systems with older Acrobat Reader, the page might just be full of pokka-dots instead of text. [yup... don't ask ]
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kennedy and Gang,

Here's my input:

Yes

No

No: To answer this, you'd have to look at the primary reason that people use ketapang leaves for, which is to lower the pH and soften the water, through the leaching of the organic acids the leaves contain.

Thus, not all fishes prefer to live in soft acidic water.

Average

Not going to be a straight forward answer, as it is still more of a 'traditional' practice, and the evidence is more anecdoctal than scientific.

The only thing 'scientific' about it, is that it softens the water and to a certain extent, lowers the pH.

Another thing is, many also believe that they contain substances that has anti-microbial properties, though not scientifically proven.

a) Livebearers (we are using swordtails in our experiment) '

Don’t know

b) Betta Splendens

Yes

c) Apistogramma apistogramma agassizi 'super red'

Yes

d) Tetra (we are using the serpae tetra)

Yes

Cheers,

Kenny Poh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops, damn, I'm late!

Sorry guys, I didn't notice that the project had been completed.

My anecdotal finding : that sinusitis does cause cerebral conjestion....

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003
    Oops, damn, I'm late!

Sorry guys, I didn't notice that the project had been completed.
    Kenny, when I receive those 'Round Tuits', remind me to send one your way Seriously, I'm sure the boys still appreciate your feedback. It's the thought and sharing that counts.

Kennedy, I suggest you PM Kho ('Shortman') and make arrangement for the PDF upload.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Oh! I'm too late! I LOVE Indian Almond leaves and I am fully convinced of their value. I've also read studies in which it is being considered/tested for Sickle Cell disease in humans as well as liver ailments. I do not find it only used for acidifying the water. In my humble experience, I've used it in my shrimp tank (Crystal Red Bee Shrimp) and my shrimp became "with eggs" within several days of being introduced to the Ketapang water. I started by using the Ketapeat by Marc Weiss to soften my water, which was made unnaturally harder temporarily by the use of a plant substrate. Once I was convinced of it's benefit, I purchased two boxes of 50 "tea bags" (Indian Almond leaves made into tea bags for convenience). Although I only use one bag now for my 29 gallon shrimp tank every few water changes, not the one per ten gallon suggestion. I also every once in awhile use it for my 55 gallon community tank. I am absolutely convinced of it's usefulness for fertility and vitality of fish and shrimp.
    Deborah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast